opinion of the university of oklahoma
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:31:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  opinion of the university of oklahoma
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
great school

eh, ok school

lol joklahoma

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: opinion of the university of oklahoma  (Read 631 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »

trashed by many atlasians.  but dont they have one of the best meteorology programs in the nation?
GaussLaw
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:05:31 PM »

It's a decent plains state school.  I went to Mizzou, so it's not like that's much better.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »

It's a decent plains state school.  I went to Mizzou, so it's not like that's much better.

At least OU stayed in the Big 12. Unlike you guys who had to go back to your slave-state roots like A&M did.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »

An okay school. Decent at football.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

It's probably not a terrible school, but I imagine most of the Atlas trashing of it is a response to Bushie claiming it is "among the best schools in the world".
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »

It's a good school for sure, but to say it's one of the best in the world is a stretch.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »

I'm sure it's fine, but it's not a top 25 school, so it's not one I'd really want to go to. It's definitely not one of the best schools in the world.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »

Decent school, its meteorology program is very good.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »

Mild HS because unlike other non-urban counties dominated by universities (Douglas, KS; Athens, OH; Jackson, IL; Tompkins, NY, etc.) Cleveland County is still very Republican. As late as 2004 it was more GOP than the state average.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2014, 07:43:55 AM by Mechaman »

Mild HS because unlike other non-urban counties dominated by universities (Douglas, KS; Athens, OH; Jackson, IL; Tompkins, NY, etc.) Cleveland County is still very Republican. As late as 2004 it was more GOP than the state average.

So you're judging the university by how the rest of the county votes?  Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

It is hardly fair to judge the University of Oklahoma as HP when it resides in a county that has about nine times as large of a population as the university (OU has about 30,000 students, Cleveland County has about 270,000 people).  Douglas County has about 115,000 people residing in it and about 25,000 of them go to University of Kansas (that's somewhere between a fourth and a fifth of the county).  Further, if you want to bring in population factors of the cities, Lawrence has about 90,000 people residing in it, which is about over 78% of the population of Lawrence County.  Norman, by comparison, has a little over 118,000 people living in it out of a county population that is nearly 270,000.  Which, if you do the math it's around 44% (less than half the population).  If you consider that a lot of the rest of the population is either rich OKC suburbanites who commute to Oklahoma County to work and largely conservative smaller towns it's not a fair comparison.

Norman could vote 65% Democratic and the county could still be something like 55% Republican, just to give you an idea of how much of a factor that is.

Am I arguing that University of Oklahoma is some liberal oasis?  Definitely not.  However your logic is very dishonest when you consider that, by sheer numbers, the demographic influence that OU and Norman has over Cleveland County is a lot smaller than that of KU and Lawrence.

I could've used the other examples you listed as contrasts, but Lawrence was both a) closest and b) in a politically similar state.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:42:08 AM »

As for the school itself, pretty great considering it's Oklahoma.  The University has several sites throughout the state that allow people with post college degrees to pursue Masters programs in several fields through pretty liberal stipends.  There are some programs you can get into where you actually get paid to pursue Masters studies instead of getting further and further into debt.

Not sure if the stipend program is federally funded (probably is), admittedly I am kind of ignorant on how it works.  I'd have to ask more information on it from my friends in the Masters Program.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »

Bob Stoops is great and I generally rooted for his teams against Mack Brown's Texas teams at the Cotton Bowl every year.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »

Yeah, meteorology is first rate and they also have a rare books and incunabula collection that's like 3rd best in the nation - I toured it back about 2009 or 2010. They're no joke. They might be on par with Wisconsin, better in some areas, not as good in others, so about par. If you applied yourself, you'd get an excellent education there.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »

apparently they have a really good native studies faculty
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »

pretty good school; great football team; but unfortunately as you all already know, Oklahoma....
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »

The Harvard of flyover country.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »

I'm guessing you're joking.

Overrated by people within the state, (mostly) underrated by people outside of it.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »

..........If you consider that a lot of the rest of the population is either rich OKC suburbanites who commute to Oklahoma County to work and largely conservative smaller towns it's not a fair comparison.

Norman could vote 65% Democratic and the county could still be something like 55% Republican, just to give you an idea of how much of a factor that is.

Am I arguing that University of Oklahoma is some liberal oasis?  Definitely not.  However your logic is very dishonest when you consider that, by sheer numbers, the demographic influence that OU and Norman has over Cleveland County is a lot smaller than that of KU and Lawrence.

I could've used the other examples you listed as contrasts, but Lawrence was both a) closest and b) in a politically similar state.

Are you referring to Moore? Because from what I saw last year after the Tornado it seemed about as economically well off as Joplin or Tuscasloosa. But I only saw it after there was rubble everywhere so its not a fair comparison.

You're right about U-OK being out-voted by hordes of Wal-Mart shopping Pentecostals, but Cleveland votes more like Utah County (Brigham Young) than any of the other counties I mentioned before.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 05:55:32 AM »

I'm guessing you're joking.

Overrated by people within the state, (mostly) underrated by people outside of it.

Our Dear Friend compared it to Harvard. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »

Trying to operate a legit university in Oklahoma has to be a Herculean task. Imagine trying to teach geology to a bunch of Young Earth Creationists. Or biology. Or history. Or any class, really. Major FF just for the effort.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies