Is This Acceptable Behavior?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is This Acceptable Behavior?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is This Acceptable Behavior?  (Read 7887 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »

The sign is a rather obvious work of Photoshop. [The background color changes between the words, which can't be explained by differences in lighting because the shadows, and areas around the shadows are quite uniformly lit.

The sign seems to be bent.

An explanation that simply doesn't make sense. Presumably, the variations in shading would be fairly uniform left to right, while in the Photoshopped image the transition from gray to a whiter background color magically circles around the top of the "T" before dropping up and down.

Take it up with the moderators. If you're going to whine about having to deal with political views different from your own, go hang out in the comments section at TownHall.

But, I am not "whining about" dealing with political views different from mine. I am complaining about an obvious use of photo-shopped forgeries to pursue a political point of view. If a conservative poster were using photo-shopped forgeries to belittle a liberal I still would complain. Political discourse ought to occur in the context of Truth, and the Truth is that this photo is a photo-shop forgery.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »

Wish BigSkyBob got the Rochambeau treatment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 01:42:15 PM »

Wish BigSkyBob got the Rochambeau treatment.

"aaand the plot dickens!"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »

lulz
BigSkyBob

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »

Bob, my man, just how deep do you want to dig your grave here, as it were? If you want to mix it up with Joe, you need more careful placing of your pieces on the chessboard than this - much more. This is amateur hour. Your end might be worthy here, your means pathetic.

The underlying facts here are that the photo in question is a photo-shop forgery. The inconsistent background color that just happens to curve around the "T" in "Tranny" clearly shows that fact. Since when is Truth not a complete defense? Your statement that my "end might be worthy here" indicates that you seem to agree that the photo in question is a forgery.

You would think that someone taking the position of moderator would attempt to hold themselves to a higher standard to set a better example for all. The message sent by using photo-shopped forgeries that is that in politics winning is what is important. Actually, that does seem to be the tone set by many of those in politics. I see that as unfortunate.

Since you wish to discuss strategy, my answer to you is to note you might want to rethink your strategy. There was a poster here named Dan, I think, who seems, as best I can tell, to represent a viewpoint one might consider conservative talk radio. He was banned from posting here, in part, it seems due to a campaign to have him removed by certain posters here. To the best of my recollection, he stuck to advocating his position. His banishment seemed motivated by a desire to not see his viewpoint expressed rather than any wrongdoing on his part.

We live in a world were there exists widespread attempts by folks on the Left to limit political speech by those on the Right. Tactically, some on the center-Right have saw fit to cooperate with such tactics to punish what they see as their common enemies on the Right. While in the short-run such tactics might seem advantageous, they are in the long run suicidal since the process of censoring "conservative" speech doesn't end with limiting the right to speak by those furthest Right. Once they are excluded, those mostly Right will be targeted next. After they are excluded, those on the near Right will be excluded. Then, those on the center Right will be excluded. At some point the person being excluded will be you. Eventually, even the DLC viewpoint will no longer be  welcome. Censorship has its own internal logic that follows to natural conclusions.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »

I shall reiterate:

And also:

The sign isn't photoshopped, and you're really strange.

Although I'll happily read another five paragraphs about this pressing issue.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 05:40:42 PM »

BS Bob's capitalization of the word 'truth' is hilarious for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »

BS Bob's capitalization of the word 'truth' is hilarious for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

Is he a Jehovah Witness?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »

BS Bob and white southerners have something in common

"You shouldn't pity me for living in a tornado prone tinder box!  What about those living under bridges?"

"I know welfare and good governance might do me some good...but... BLACK PEOPLE!"

As long as you're not on the bottom, you're entitled to act like you're on top...amirite?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 12:12:44 AM »

BS Bob and white southerners have something in common

"You shouldn't pity me for living in a tornado prone tinder box!  What about those living under bridges?"

"I know welfare and good governance might do me some good...but... BLACK PEOPLE!"

As long as you're not on the bottom, you're entitled to act like you're on top...amirite?

First of all, to the extent you wish to compare to Southerners I thank you. To the extent I want Southerners to vote Republican I again thank you for the tone with which you speak of Southerners.

Second, Why should people "pity me for living in a tornado prone tinder box?"  Generally, the economics of trailers are poor. And, as you have noted, they aren't as substantial structures as stick-built structures. On the other hand, they seem to offer more privacy than an apartment. That said, there are people for whom that is what their finances provide. Furthermore, in more remote areas, modular structures make more economic sense. All I have stated is that I find it an odd prejudice to look down on people who live in trailers. One explanation for my objecting to such condescension is that I happen to live in a trailer. Another explanation for my objecting to such condescension is that I find it to be bigoted and wrong. The fact that you jumped to the first conclusion rather than the second says more about you than it does me.

In the most recent election, one of the upset winners for the Republicans was Tom Tillis. He spoke in a dignified manner of growing up in a trailer. I don't judge him for that fact. I don't see why anyone should.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:32 AM »

Mortimer J Adler wrote of six great ideas: Truth, Goodness, Beauty, Liberty, Equality, Justice.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »

This guy is romanticizing Thom tills.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »

Btw, here's the sign (plus another!) from another angle:

Another nefarious and plainly obvious photoshop job, of course.  You can tell by the pixels.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »

A+ thread, would read again
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:42 AM »

This Is Serious
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »

Obligatory picture of the OP

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »

To add to the Photoshop magic, I took Joe's second pic and added a THIRD sign, more sky, more clouds (for our friend BigSkyBob), and even photoshopped in a thumb over the lens for good effect.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »

Mortimer J Adler wrote of six great ideas: Truth, Goodness, Beauty, Liberty, Equality, Justice.

Weird capitalizations and italicizations are expected of philosophical writing. Propagating conspiracy theories about Joe's signature does not constitute philosophical writing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »

Joe should add a trigger warning for trailerkin like BSB on his sig.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies