which college athletic conference is most academically presitgious?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:31:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  which college athletic conference is most academically presitgious?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: of the major division 1a conferences
acc

big 10

big 12

pac 12

sec

american athletic

mountain west

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: which college athletic conference is most academically presitgious?  (Read 1031 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »

big 10 is the correct answer
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:08:04 PM »

MOST PRESTIGIOUS
|
ACC
Big 10
Pac 12
Big 12
American
SEC
Mountain West
|
LEAST PRESTIGIOUS
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »

For language science:

Big Ten (Maryland, Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, pretty much every school but Nebraska is at least "good")
Pac-12 (Arizona, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, some of the others are a'ight)
Big 12 (UT-Austin, Kansas)
AAC (UConn, USF)
SEC (South Carolina, Mizzou?)
MAC (Buffalo??)
ACC (Pitt?  sorta?)
Mountain West (UNM???)
Conference USA (Huh)
Sun Belt (Huh)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

It totally depends where you are in the country.  So therefore, since there are more Midwesterners spread across the country than southerners, Great plains people or Westerners, it's the Big 10.  But, in general, prestige is a dumb concept for an entire university as a whole. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2014, 03:10:07 PM by Gass3268 »

Of The Big 5

Big 10 (No really awful schools, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Penn State are all great)
ACC (Florida State, NCST, Clemson kinda drags them down)
Pac 12 (Very top heavy with Stanford, USC, Cal, UCLA, Washington. Some poor schools at the bottom)
SEC (Vandy, Florida, Georgia, and A&M are not bad)
Big 12 (Texas is excellent, Iowa State and Kansas are pretty good, the rest are awful)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »

Big 10, and a lot of those graduate programs are pretty good too.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »

Of The Big 5

Big 10 (No really awful schools, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Penn State are all great)
Pac 12 (Very top heavy with Stanford, USC, Cal, UCLA, Washington. Some poor schools at the bottom)
Big 12 (Texas is excellent, Iowa State and Kansas are pretty good, the rest are awful)

clemson does not drag down the acc.  if anything, louisville is the weakest academic member.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »

Big 10 and ACC (sans Louisville) are the obvious answers.

The other 3 are all fine, but have members that drag them down.

Of course it's important to remember that these conferences are primarily athletic conferences, so the proper way to compare them is athletically.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »

As far as academic prowess in general... I mean, sure, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, Virginia, and Pittsburgh are all good schools, but I'm not sure how they're better (or "obvious[ly] better") than a group that includes UC-Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, and UC-Boulder.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »

Of The Big 5

Clemson is a better school than NC State.

Iowa State and Kansas aren't even in the US News Top 100. TCU and Baylor both rank far ahead of them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »

As far as academic prowess in general... I mean, sure, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, Virginia, and Pittsburgh are all good schools, but I'm not sure how they're better (or "obvious[ly] better") than a group that includes UC-Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, and UC-Boulder.

Well I'm just talking averages rather than the best of each. Washington State, Oregon State, the Arizona schools -- not awful or anything, but Louisville is the only ACC down that low.

A few years ago I had a huge spreadsheet of every conference and their USNWR rankings. I ought to refresh that.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

Well I'm just talking averages rather than the best of each. Washington State, Oregon State, the Arizona schools -- not awful or anything, but Louisville is the only ACC down that low.

A few years ago I had a huge spreadsheet of every conference and their USNWR rankings. I ought to refresh that.

Hmm, I had no idea that Miami and Wake Forest were ranked as high as they are (insofar as USNWR rankings should be trusted... but, of course, we're talking "prestigious", and pointless peer rankings are probably not a terrible stand-in for "prestige").  Interesting.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

Hmm, I had no idea that Miami and Wake Forest were ranked as high as they are (insofar as USNWR rankings should be trusted... but, of course, we're talking "prestigious", and pointless peer rankings are probably not a terrible stand-in for "prestige").  Interesting.

Wake Forest is actually one of the country's best universities.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

B1G
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »

Even with Maryland dragging it down, the Big 10
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:22 PM »

Big 10, Pac 12, ACC

SEC and Big12 very distant 4th and 5th.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

No IVY League? Since no IVY League, Big 10
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 02:06:36 PM »

No IVY League? Since no IVY League, Big 10

The Ivy League is not a Division 1-A/FBS conference.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

Of The Big 5

clemson does not drag down the acc.  if anything, louisville is the weakest academic member.

Forgot about Louisville and that Clemson has improved.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »

Of course it's important to remember that these conferences are primarily athletic conferences, so the proper way to compare them is athletically.

True, but academics and big time research are critical to the Big Ten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_Institutional_Cooperation
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »

Your information's out of date, Grumps; you must have lived in the Mid-Atlantic sometime before about 10 years ago.  (Insert caveats here), Maryland (#62) is between The Ohio State (#54) and Iowa (#71) in USNWR rankings, just to pick a couple of random Big Ten schools.  Nebraska (#99) is the lowest I could find in the Big Ten... the other Big Ten schools were so skeptical of its prospects that it almost wasn't invited to aforementioned CIC:

True, but academics and big time research are critical to the Big Ten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_Institutional_Cooperation
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »

Your information's out of date, Grumps; you must have lived in the Mid-Atlantic sometime before about 10 years ago.  (Insert caveats here), Maryland (#62) is between The Ohio State (#54) and Iowa (#71) in USNWR rankings, just to pick a couple of random Big Ten schools.  Nebraska (#99) is the lowest I could find in the Big Ten... the other Big Ten schools were so skeptical of its prospects that it almost wasn't invited to aforementioned CIC:

Probably not out of date, my friend, but like most things you relate to someting personal in your life when you can.  I don't have much nice to say about those in College Park, except you and Xahar are probably the two smartest there, so that's something good.   Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »

Your information's out of date, Grumps; you must have lived in the Mid-Atlantic sometime before about 10 years ago.  (Insert caveats here), Maryland (#62) is between The Ohio State (#54) and Iowa (#71) in USNWR rankings, just to pick a couple of random Big Ten schools.  Nebraska (#99) is the lowest I could find in the Big Ten... the other Big Ten schools were so skeptical of its prospects that it almost wasn't invited to aforementioned CIC:

Probably not out of date, my friend, but like most things you relate to someting personal in your life when you can.  I don't have much nice to say about those in College Park, except you and Xahar are probably the two smartest there, so that's something good.   Smiley

If you insist Wink *hughughug*  To be fair, I also have very little nice to say about the City of College Park.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

College Park is of course a dump, but it's also home.

As for the question at hand, of course the answer is the Big Ten. Everyone on campus (myself included) makes fun of the university for its obsession with making everything about the Big Ten, but it does matter.

The Pac-12 and ACC are both very top-heavy, although if the ACC today had the same composition as in the '80s (Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech), it would come the closest to giving the Big Ten a run for its money. The Big 12 is Texas + others, and the SEC has Vanderbilt but is notable in that it has no particularly outstanding public schools. If it still had Georgia Tech and Tulane it would be closer to the second tier.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »

PAC 12 has both Berkeley and Stanford, so it wins.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies