Confirmation Hearing: Duke for Vice-President (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:23:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Duke for Vice-President (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Duke for Vice-President (Confirmed)  (Read 1652 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2014, 11:56:03 AM by Senator Lumine (PPT) »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senators, you have 72 hours to question the nominee.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »

I have Duke's successor lined up, so I give him permission to leave the legislature Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

I love Duke but is he constitutionally qualified to be Vice President?

I didn't go look this up in advance, but I thought someone could only serve as President for two terms in a row. If Duke becomes President, then he would be serving a third consecutive term (we measure terms as in the point elected, so this is still DemPGH's term, IMO).

EDIT: That one concern aside, I'm all for this.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »

The issue consecutive... there have now been three Presidents since Duke's term ended. Taking into account our generous Constitutional measures on this issue, I think he's fine.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »

The way I interpreted it, there has been 3 president's in office since I was, so if Cranberry died in the last 2 weeks of his term, I wouldn't be serving my third consecutive term.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »

The term is 4 months regardless of how many people hold the office during that time. I really am unsure if Duke can serve.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »

According to my interpretation of the constitution, Mr Duke is very well eligible to serve as Vice President, a position I would like to elaborate before this assembled body.

Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 deals with the eligibilty of a person for the offices of President and Vice President. It specifically outlines, that:

A point often mentioned here in this discussion was that the honourable Mr Duke would exactly be unable to serve as Vice President, because of him fulfilling a second consecutive term (the 31st term of an Atlasian President) in June, and this still technically being the 32nd term, fulfilled now by the third president, yours truly. One could now argue that the term following Mr Duke's term would have ended with Mr DemPGH's resignation, an interpretation I do not share, however, there is no need for this, as
the constitution defines in Article II, Section 3, Clause 3 that:

The constiution specifically bans being elected to more than two consecutive terms, however, there are no limitations to serve a third or fourth or fifth "consecutive" term through another method than an election, for example through appointment to the Vice Presidency, and then ascension to the Presidency. As such, I see Article II, Clause 1, Section 2 of the Third Constitution, which is specifically dealing with eligbility for the Presidency and the Vice Presidency, not violated; and Mr. Duke to be a constituionally appointee for the office of the Vice President.

- President Cranberry
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »

Aight
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

I'm fine with Duke being VP for awhile. He knows what he's doing.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »

If all of the legislation currently in the queue or waiting in the Legislation Introduction Thread were to receive an evenly split number of votes in the Senate, how would you cast your tie-breaking vote? Please be exhaustive, and preferably provide some sort of explanation for all of your hypothetical votes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »

If all of the legislation currently in the queue or waiting in the Legislation Introduction Thread were to receive an evenly split number of votes in the Senate, how would you cast your tie-breaking vote? Please be exhaustive, and preferably provide some sort of explanation for all of your hypothetical votes.

I will stand up for freedom and always look for balance in most bills. I'm not going to go through 15 pieces of legislation and write an essay for this position, however. I have been a Senator for 12 terms, a VP for one, a President for two, and I have chaired a party that held half the senate for a term despite having only 20 members.

Most of you know what you are getting with me. I am happy to serve as VP for the last two weeks of dear Cranberry's term, but I am not going to jump through silly hoops and spend an hour delivering a dissertation on legislation I will never have to vote on and will never be around in the Senate to see. Plus, most of the legislation in the queue will be heavily amended or changed to the point where telling you how I'd vote on the original bill not only wastes my time, but wastes this senate's time as well.

Confirm me if you think I can do the job the VP is called to do. There is more than enough evidence about me on how I'd vote for each bill.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »

Well, as President Pro Tempore I would enjoy working with Duke as VP, I think he would do a fantastic job for the remainder of the term. I support the nominee.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

Whether or not you think Duke would do a good job is secondary to the fact that he is ineligible to hold this office.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »

Whether or not you think Duke would do a good job is secondary to the fact that he is ineligible to hold this office.

Not really, because he is eligible. He can't be elected to two consecutive terms as President and Vice-President, but that doesn't mean he can't serve.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »

No person who is ineligible to serve as President can serve as Vice President. The Constitution is fairly clear.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »

The Constitution says that I cannot be elected to a third term in office but does not say I cannot serve. If Cranberry died in the next two weeks, I would assume the office. I would not be elected.

That is, of course, how I interpret it. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

I'll have to tread lightly here, but...

This clause seems to suggest that someone ineligible to be elected President is ineligible to be Vice-President.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »

I'll have to tread lightly here, but...

This clause seems to suggest that someone ineligible to be elected President is ineligible to be Vice-President.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was talking about the eligibility post wise and account age or if it also meant term limit. If there is too much of a question here, I am happy to withdraw my name and allow Cranberry to find someone else. I'm not here to stir the pot. I just offered to serve until the end of his term.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »

On reflection... the fact is that this is the 'term' after Duke's two. Therefore, despite three Presidents serving during that term... it's still the same term.

Yeah, Duke isn't eligible.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »

I'm confused now.

Ugh... I suppose this is the relevant word in the relevant clause...

In this context, he was not elected, but appointed.

SC better get itself ready.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:50 PM »

It is my opinion as Attorney General that Mr. Duke is eligible for this appointment to the Vice Presidency. The Constitutional clause pertaining to term limits specifies that people can't be elected more than twice consecutively.

In the most recent Presidential election, Duke was not on the winning ticket, so at that moment his streak of winning consecutive elections was broken- so the clause no longer applied to him.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »

Just hurry up and confirm me. I promise if another crisis occurs, I have the tools and knowledge to handle it in an appropriate manner
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »

Just hurry up and confirm me. I promise if another crisis occurs, I have the tools and knowledge to handle it in an appropriate manner

This.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »

72 hours have passed, so a vote has now started. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 04:11:53 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies