And now...Alaska
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  And now...Alaska
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: And now...Alaska  (Read 2909 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »

Considering the lay of the land, same sex marriage is likely to be legal in every state before Obama leaves office. He's had very little to do with that, yet I suspect future historians will the legalization of same sex marriage one of his major achievements.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »

You're wilfully ignorant if you think Obama has nothing to do with this. From declaring his support on national television (and Biden had done this earlier) probably helped push some people vote in favor of it in Washington, Maine and Maryland back in 2012, and those victories helped start moving the ball. And then the DOJ's decision not to defend DOMA was also significant.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »

Considering the lay of the land, same sex marriage is likely to be legal in every state before Obama leaves office. He's had very little to do with that, yet I suspect future historians will the legalization of same sex marriage one of his major achievements.

I'd say Biden and Obama both had quite a bit to do with it. Smiley
They were the first vice president and president to publically endorse it after all, and they both did it emphatically and with great passion. I'm sure that tipped the scale for many people's perception of the issue.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies