Limiting Abortion...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:53:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Limiting Abortion...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Limiting Abortion...  (Read 2293 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »

That's a very reasonable suspicion. 

On the alternative side of things, one can quite easily question the sincerity in the Republican Party's efforts to actually ban abortion. The Republican Party had ample opportunity to overturn Roe in the 80s and early 90s if they hadn't screwed their Supreme Court nominations up. It casts a rather different perspective on say, the presidential candidacy of Mitt Romney: pay lip service to the Pro-Life movement but when the chips are down and they actually have choice between protecting life and maintaining power, what will the choice be?

But will Republican Presidents actually be allowed to make Supreme Court nominations anymore that will not align with the Religious Right (unless they are replacing a Liberal justice or Kennedy in a Senate that can come up with a coalition who will block that nomination)?

I can even see Kennedy seeing the writing on the wall and concurring or joining a decision that throws out Roe, Casey and Griswold if a personhood  law soon gets passed at the state level and a Republican Government gets elected in 2016. However, I will contend that if abortion is still legal after the next president leaves office, it probably will never be a crime.

There is absolutely no way Kennedy is going to touch Griswold - he's based a lot of his decisions on it.  He may be willing to modify Casey similar to the way that Casey modified Roe.

I'm actually more concerned about Wickard or even West Coast Hotel going down than Roe or Griswold.  Kennedy is far more likely to be persuaded by a radical economic conservative argument.  But I think a major part of the reason Roberts defected on NFIB was to signal that he wouldn't be part of any majority that went there.  But if, say, Andrew Napolitano and Paul Clement take Ginsburg's and Kennedy's seats in the near future, the New Deal could very well go down, whether Roberts likes it or not.
So, it might not matter what Roberts might do, though I imagine to make conservatives happy, he will go along with 5  Archconservatives.
All in all, maybe if Kennedy was replaced with a Conservative, Roberts might become the new swing vote. If Ginsburg goes and gets replaced by a conservative, Kennedy and Roberts might "see the writing on the wall" and so Griswold and WCH might see the writing on the wall, effectively making the entire Democratic platform unconstitutional or at least unsupported by the constitution.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »

On the alternative side of things, one can quite easily question the sincerity in the Republican Party's efforts to actually ban abortion. The Republican Party had ample opportunity to overturn Roe in the 80s and early 90s if they hadn't screwed their Supreme Court nominations up. It casts a rather different perspective on say, the presidential candidacy of Mitt Romney: pay lip service to the Pro-Life movement but when the chips are down and they actually have choice between protecting life and maintaining power, what will the choice be?

But will Republican Presidents actually be allowed to make Supreme Court nominations anymore that will not align with the Religious Right (unless they are replacing a Liberal justice or Kennedy in a Senate that can come up with a coalition who will block that nomination)?

I can even see Kennedy seeing the writing on the wall and concurring or joining a decision that throws out Roe, Casey and Griswold if a personhood  law soon gets passed at the state level and a Republican Government gets elected in 2016. However, I will contend that if abortion is still legal after the next president leaves office, it probably will never be a crime.

There is absolutely no way Kennedy is going to touch Griswold - he's based a lot of his decisions on it.  He may be willing to modify Casey similar to the way that Casey modified Roe.

I'm actually more concerned about Wickard or even West Coast Hotel going down than Roe or Griswold.  Kennedy is far more likely to be persuaded by a radical economic conservative argument.  But I think a major part of the reason Roberts defected on NFIB was to signal that he wouldn't be part of any majority that went there.  But if, say, Andrew Napolitano and Paul Clement take Ginsburg's and Kennedy's seats in the near future, the New Deal could very well go down, whether Roberts likes it or not.
So, it might not matter what Roberts might do, though I imagine to make conservatives happy, he will go along with 5  Archconservatives.
All in all, maybe if Kennedy was replaced with a Conservative, Roberts might become the new swing vote. If Ginsburg goes and gets replaced by a conservative, Kennedy and Roberts might "see the writing on the wall" and so Griswold and WCH might see the writing on the wall, effectively making the entire Democratic platform unconstitutional or at least unsupported by the constitution.

Well, I think Democrats would have no choice but to run on a 2nd Constitutional Convention in the 2020's if that actually happened.  And with the elderly vote swinging hard left, they just might get one.  The lesson is that there is a fine line that you don't cross lest the rules be rewritten against you.  Of course all the prominent instances of rewriting the rules in recent history have favored the left (New Deal, Civil Rights Movement, etc.) but progressives shouldn't interpret that as a guarantee that it will continue that way, particularly on economic issues.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »

Well, I think Democrats would have no choice but to run on a 2nd Constitutional Convention in the 2020's if that actually happened.  And with the elderly vote swinging hard left, they just might get one.  The lesson is that there is a fine line that you don't cross lest the rules be rewritten against you.  Of course all the prominent instances of rewriting the rules in recent history have favored the left (New Deal, Civil Rights Movement, etc.) but progressives shouldn't interpret that as a guarantee that it will continue that way, particularly on economic issues.

Well, maybe it'll happen again in a new era of right-wing excess.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies