Democrats that vote in presidential years but don't in mid-terms. Who are they?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:27:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats that vote in presidential years but don't in mid-terms. Who are they?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats that vote in presidential years but don't in mid-terms. Who are they?  (Read 995 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »

2008 - democrats turn up. Republicans get crushed.
2010 - democrats don't turn up. Republican base gets enough votes to win.
2012 - democrats turn up, republicans get crushed.
2014 - democrats don't turn up. Republican base gets enough votes to win.

So who are these democrats that go into full term hibernation mode and allow this disaster to happen every mid-term but turn up for the fight every presidential year?

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »

- Latinos
- African-Americans
- People under 40
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:37 PM »

Well first of all, this is the wrong forum.

But the answer is minorities and/or young voters. But that analysis is a bit too simplistic. Political environment matters too. It's not like 2010 would've suddenly been a decent year for Democrats if Obama was on the ballot (he likely would've lost even with the increased turnout). Turnout problems certainly hurt the Democrats in midterms, but it's not the only explanation for the results of the past 3 elections.
Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

your mom
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:48:08 AM »

Minorities and youngs.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:09:18 AM »

People from all walks of life who have something better to do that day (and for whom that's a lower bar than it is during a Presidential election); the racial and age differences are at the margins. Even the Republicans received (off the top of my head) 7.5 million fewer votes in the GOP wave midterm of 2010 than in the GOP presidential near-landslide defeat of 2008.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »

Well first of all, this is the wrong forum.

But the answer is minorities and/or young voters. But that analysis is a bit too simplistic. Political environment matters too. It's not like 2010 would've suddenly been a decent year for Democrats if Obama was on the ballot (he likely would've lost even with the increased turnout). Turnout problems certainly hurt the Democrats in midterms, but it's not the only explanation for the results of the past 3 elections.
This, as well as the fact that Independents swung heavily against Democrats in 2010. Base turnout is important, but if the rest of the electorate is drive to vote against you, the best you can do is hope to minimize your losses.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »

51 people voted on the University of Illinois campus in the last midterm election
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »

Wait. 2010 isn't considered a "crush" year?
njwes
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »

51 people voted on the University of Illinois campus in the last midterm election

I'm sure the students' turnout was atrocious, but in fairness, most people I knew in college stayed registered in their home districts and voted there.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »

I'm sure the students' turnout was atrocious, but in fairness, most people I knew in college stayed registered in their home districts and voted there.

Indeed, but compared to Presidential years 51 is terrifyingly low.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »

That's a complete and total failure by the College Democrats and College Republicans there. Geez, the College Libertarians should be able to get 50 people to the polls by themselves...
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »

You have got to be kidding.... That is awful. I've been working on all my friends here at Illinois to vote. Going to send in my absentee ballot tomorrow. Hopefully UI puts on a better show this year.

P.s. I know there's probably some political reason, but why don't they fill up Foellinger Auditorium down here for a gubernatorial debate? I guarantee the place would be packed and that would probably lead to most of them voting.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »

You have got to be kidding.... That is awful. I've been working on all my friends here at Illinois to vote. Going to send in my absentee ballot tomorrow. Hopefully UI puts on a better show this year.

The Democratic candidates for State Rep as well as Congress here had an impressive season of voter registration at UIUC, so we'll see how many more vote this time. You should be voting here on campus, though. IL-13 is likely more competitive than your home district. Smiley

P.s. I know there's probably some political reason, but why don't they fill up Foellinger Auditorium down here for a gubernatorial debate? I guarantee the place would be packed and that would probably lead to most of them voting.

They actually tried to host a debate between Rauner and Quinn at Foellinger, but Rauner's team declined (Quinn accepted). It would have been cool.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 12:47:50 AM »

*Raises hand*

I was too late to request an absentee ballot in 2010. My districts were Safe R anyway, but I still feel guilty because the results were so bad for NC Democrats. I've voted in every major election since then though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2014, 04:11:00 AM by Reaganfan »

People like my younger sister. She voted for Obama twice. Watched the debates, yada yada. She has no clue there is an election in two and a half weeks. None what-so-ever. But she'll know about the election in November 2016.

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 06:27:12 AM »

People like my younger sister. She voted for Obama twice. Watched the debates, yada yada. She has no clue there is an election in two and a half weeks. None what-so-ever. But she'll know about the election in November 2016.

How weirdly selfish of you to help make sure she stays uninformed.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »

How weirdly selfish of you to help make sure she stays uninformed.

I told her there was an election and she made a comment about all the political signs, but she doesn't care about a midterm. The last thing on her mind is whether or not David Joyce is re-elected to Congress or not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies