Who would you rather have as a Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:51:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would you rather have as a Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you rather have as a Governor?
Tom Corbett (D)

Tom Corbett (R)

Tom Corbett (I/O)

Rick Scott (D)

Rick Scott (R)

Rick Scott (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Who would you rather have as a Governor?  (Read 1455 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »

Corbett, since he's at least not a blatant criminal.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:09 PM »

Write-in: a full bottle of vicodin chased with a full bottle of Jack Daniels
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »

Rick Scott so I could call my governor Lex Luthor.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

If Scott was a criminal, he'd be in jail. Until then, lets try and avoid the annoying buzzwords.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

Corbett, because he won't be much longer Cheesy
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »

If Scott was a criminal, he'd be in jail.

Uh...are you implying that criminals don't get away with crimes? Or get penalties other than jail time?
Maistre
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:45:24 PM »

Uh...are you implying that criminals don't get away with crimes? Or get penalties other than jail time?

After all we never did catch that sniper who was after dear Hillary in Bosnia.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »

After all we never did catch that sniper who was after dear Hillary in Bosnia.

Just to clarify, are you actually trying to compare fabricating a story (which isn't a crime) to $1.7 billion in Medicare fraud followed by pleading the fifth 75 times in court?

But remember everyone, it's the Democrats on Atlas that are hacks!
Maistre
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »

No, I'm just really concerned about Hillary's safety. I hope they catch that madman soon.

Not that she would be afraid, her lack of fear under the bead of that sniper was very uplifting.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »

No, I'm just really concerned about Hillary's safety. I hope they catch that madman soon.

Not that she would be afraid, her lack of fear under the bead of that sniper was very uplifting.

I'm glad she inspired you. You'll witness her lack of fear again when she kicks your party's ass in 2016. Wink
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »

I'd rather have Corbett over an entitled criminal.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

Rick Scott, I assume, didn't cover up child molestation.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »

You can't call Scott a criminal if he wasn't convicted. Unlike some cases (OJ, Zimmerman) where guilt is not in doubt and the verdict was rendered by a technicality, Scott was never in any serious danger. Call him what you want, but he is not a "criminal."

I want to know why you care so much, IceSpear? Your Republican Governor actually may be a criminal who helped cover up a serious scandal. My Governor has no national ambition or presence (unlike his opponent) and will likely not be heard of again after 2019, when his term ends Tongue.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »

You can't call Scott a criminal if he wasn't convicted. Unlike some cases (OJ, Zimmerman) where guilt is not in doubt and the verdict was rendered by a technicality, Scott was never in any serious danger. Call him what you want, but he is not a "criminal."

I want to know why you care so much, IceSpear? Your Republican Governor actually may be a criminal who helped cover up a serious scandal. My Governor has no national ambition or presence (unlike his opponent) and will likely not be heard of again after 2019, when his term ends Tongue.

It's a fact that his company engaged in massive Medicare fraud. If that's not a criminal act, then what do you call it?

I've hated him for a very long time now. In fact, I remember being appalled on election day 2010 that Florida, a state known for its retirees, would vote for a Medicare fraudster just because of a national political tide. I'd imagine a good example would be how Republicans felt in 2006 when Rod Blagojevich won despite his 5% approval rating just because it happened to be a pro-Dem year. Since then, his attempts to suppress Democratic votes, rejecting Medicaid expansion, and general right-wing excess intensified my dislike of him. And one of the biggest reasons of all: the fact that he's still competitive in a race where he was supposed to be crushed. If he actually manages to win again just by bankrolling his own campaign and crushing his opponent in tens of millions of negative ads, it will prove that money can buy elections regardless of any other factors, and that's a very scary thing.

As for Corbett, Kane cleared him on the Sandusky charges. There's plenty of reasons to hate him, but that isn't one. The fact that he's more a profile in incompetence as opposed to a criminal or far right ideologue, combined with the fact that he's so obviously been a lame duck for the past year, somewhat mellows my dislike for him. At least relatively. Though I will still be thrilled when Gov.-elect Wolf is given his win, needless to say.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »

Rick Scott, twice a day and three times on Tuesday.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »

It's a fact that his company engaged in massive Medicare fraud. If that's not a criminal act, then what do you call it?

I've hated him for a very long time now. In fact, I remember being appalled on election day 2010 that Florida, a state known for its retirees, would vote for a Medicare fraudster just because of a national political tide. I'd imagine a good example would be how Republicans felt in 2006 when Rod Blagojevich won despite his 5% approval rating just because it happened to be a pro-Dem year. Since then, his attempts to suppress Democratic votes, rejecting Medicaid expansion, and general right-wing excess intensified my dislike of him. And one of the biggest reasons of all: the fact that he's still competitive in a race where he was supposed to be crushed. If he actually manages to win again just by bankrolling his own campaign and crushing his opponent in tens of millions of negative ads, it will prove that money can buy elections regardless of any other factors, and that's a very scary thing.

As for Corbett, Kane cleared him on the Sandusky charges. There's plenty of reasons to hate him, but that isn't one. The fact that he's more a profile in incompetence as opposed to a criminal or far right ideologue, combined with the fact that he's so obviously been a lame duck for the past year, somewhat mellows my dislike for him. At least relatively. Though I will still be thrilled when Gov.-elect Wolf is given his win, needless to say.

Wow, there is a LOT wrong with your post. Starting with the most obvious:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I assume you're talking about voter id laws; in Florida if you vote without an id your vote still counts if you're voting in the right precinct.  Rick Scott supports Medicaid expansion, so that charge makes no sense. "General right-wing excess" is a meaningless statement; if applicable at all it would be more to the legislature than Scott. I can't put a number on it but I believe he's blocked more bills or plans from the right than he has proposed.

As for the Medicaid fraud thing: Scott, as head of the company, was responsible for the culture which caused people to commit fraud to cut costs. Which is to say he had some responsibility for it, but nothing he did could really be called "criminal".

Nobody who knew anything about Florida politics thought Scott would end up crushed.  Florida is a Republican state; its spread out populace and older demographics make it even more prone to midterm swings to Republicans than others. Scott was never very well liked, but he's done at very least an adequate job as governor:polling in the 30s was NEVER going to last, ESPECIALLY against Charlie Crist.

If Scott manages to win, this will be the least significant of reasons. Last I saw, ad spending was something like ~$35 million for Scott to ~25 for Crist, which is a significant difference but nowhere near enough to overcome polls that were something like 65 Crist 35 Scott. If the Democrats lose it will be because of their candidate, their ridiculous state organization and Republican voters coming home. I said it all last year and I'll say it now: Alex Sink would easily be winning this race. Charlie Crist is a creepy weirdo who won't be able to get the apathetic President-only Democratic voters to go vote. He only inspires confidence in Democratic fanboys (already voting), teachers (should be already voting) and St. Pete politicos. A real Democrat, such as Sink or one of the I-4 mayors, would be favored at this point. The state Democratic party is a joke, for reasons which have been long laid out.

The best charge against Rick Scott is incompetence. The legislature ran rings around him for a few years and even now he's bad at spinning his decisions or getting the legislature to act on them. If I could pick anyone to be governor he'd be FAR FAR from the top of the list. He's still better than Crist though.

There, that's my long Florida post for this election.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »

Rick Scott? Not a fan.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »

I understand Corbett is so unpopular because he's kind of a dead fish and terrible unaccomplished leader. So I'll go with him, less dangerous.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »

Wow, there is a LOT wrong with your post. Starting with the most obvious:

I assume you're talking about voter id laws; in Florida if you vote without an id your vote still counts if you're voting in the right precinct.  Rick Scott supports Medicaid expansion, so that charge makes no sense. "General right-wing excess" is a meaningless statement; if applicable at all it would be more to the legislature than Scott. I can't put a number on it but I believe he's blocked more bills or plans from the right than he has proposed.

As for the Medicaid fraud thing: Scott, as head of the company, was responsible for the culture which caused people to commit fraud to cut costs. Which is to say he had some responsibility for it, but nothing he did could really be called "criminal".

Nobody who knew anything about Florida politics thought Scott would end up crushed.  Florida is a Republican state; its spread out populace and older demographics make it even more prone to midterm swings to Republicans than others. Scott was never very well liked, but he's done at very least an adequate job as governor:polling in the 30s was NEVER going to last, ESPECIALLY against Charlie Crist.

If Scott manages to win, this will be the least significant of reasons. Last I saw, ad spending was something like ~$35 million for Scott to ~25 for Crist, which is a significant difference but nowhere near enough to overcome polls that were something like 65 Crist 35 Scott. If the Democrats lose it will be because of their candidate, their ridiculous state organization and Republican voters coming home. I said it all last year and I'll say it now: Alex Sink would easily be winning this race. Charlie Crist is a creepy weirdo who won't be able to get the apathetic President-only Democratic voters to go vote. He only inspires confidence in Democratic fanboys (already voting), teachers (should be already voting) and St. Pete politicos. A real Democrat, such as Sink or one of the I-4 mayors, would be favored at this point. The state Democratic party is a joke, for reasons which have been long laid out.

The best charge against Rick Scott is incompetence. The legislature ran rings around him for a few years and even now he's bad at spinning his decisions or getting the legislature to act on them. If I could pick anyone to be governor he'd be FAR FAR from the top of the list. He's still better than Crist though.

There, that's my long Florida post for this election.

Not just the voter ID law, but also the voter roll purges in 2012. He said he supported Medicaid expansion, but he did absolutely nothing to push it through unlike many other GOP governors, so it was at best an empty gesture and at worst a cynical ploy to run to the center in time for re-election. Yes, obviously Crist was never going to win by double digits. But the fact that it's extremely close is still unsettling. Considering the events at today's debate, it's somewhat ironic that you called Crist a creepy weirdo. Tongue
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »

I'm not going to vote, because I know nothing about either.  All I know is PA's guy is going to lose by a lot for some reason (don't care why, so don't descend upon me Dems!).
RR1997
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

Rick Scott, but both are awful (R)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »

Rick Scott, but both are awful (R)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »

Rick Scott, I assume, didn't cover up child molestation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies