Why have the races been so local this cycle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why have the races been so local this cycle?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why have the races been so local this cycle?  (Read 524 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »

Remember in 2010 when any race for any office in the US was a referendum on Obama, or back in 2012 when we saw something similar because of the Presidential election?

How has this election cycle become so de-nationalized all of a sudden? At the start of the midterm season the media was insistent that it would be a good year for the GOP because of Obama's low approvals, and it still may be, but it's not that simple anymore.

Republicans incumbents in conservative states like Oklahoma, Georgia, Idaho and Kansas are fighting to keep their seats. Meanwhile, Democrats in certain blue states are fighting to seal the deal, like Coakley in Massachusetts (although with her it's a different story).

Just wondering everybody's thoughts on this interesting development...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:07:15 PM »

I'm not really sure, to be honest. But it's definitely a good thing.

I hated seeing "A vote for Scott Mendel for City Council is a vote for OBAMA!" in 2010.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »

I wouldn't say it's completely local. If it was, Brownback would be losing by double digits. But yeah, it's definitely different from 2010, where most voters seemingly didn't even care about candidate quality and just voted straight R down to dog catcher to "send a message to Obama". One of the states even elected a criminal as governor because he had the "correct" letter after his name.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »

I wouldn't say it's completely local. If it was, Brownback would be losing by double digits. But yeah, it's definitely different from 2010, where most voters seemingly didn't even care about candidate quality and just voted straight R down to dog catcher to "send a message to Obama". One of the states even elected a criminal as governor because he had the "correct" letter after his name.
Find a new line - this is getting really old.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »

It's not a line, it's a fact.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »

Roll Eyes
KCDem

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »

Roll Eyes

Roll your eyes all you want, but it doesn't change facts.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »

I'm not really sure, to be honest. But it's definitely a good thing.

I hated seeing "A vote for Scott Mendel for City Council is a vote for OBAMA!" in 2010.

I think it's a good thing, too.  Politics is more interesting with Democrats from every region and Republicans from every region, with their views not being completely uniform.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies