The Atlasia-Ireland Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:07:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia-Ireland Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasia-Ireland Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC)  (Read 668 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: October 16, 2014, 01:35:44 AM »

I'm certainly sympathetic to the cause of Irish reunification. I think the people of Northern Ireland should get a referendum on it, much the same as the Scots did.

To my friend, Mechaman, I really should point out though, and it would be dishonest for me not to, that escaping poverty wasn't the reason my family emigrated from England. On the whole, both my great-grandparents were moderately prosperous. My great-grandfather was one of only I think at the time, two plumbers in the city of Plymouth and my great-grandmother made a nice income as a seamstress. They didn't travel steerage class and had no trouble financially (though he did leave Pittsburgh for Donora because his Irish neighbors harassed him over the issue)... The reason for leaving had to do with a political argument that pitted the five of them three against two. (My great-grandfather Percy and brothers Rod and Owen were Liberal voters and the other two, Alfred and Fred were Tories) The big split came over the 1904 Devonport by-election and snowballed from there until 1907 when my great-grandfather came here.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »

I'm certainly sympathetic to the cause of Irish reunification. I think the people of Northern Ireland should get a referendum on it, much the same as the Scots did.

To my friend, Mechaman, I really should point out though, and it would be dishonest for me not to, that escaping poverty wasn't the reason my family emigrated from England. On the whole, both my great-grandparents were moderately prosperous. My great-grandfather was one of only I think at the time, two plumbers in the city of Plymouth and my great-grandmother made a nice income as a seamstress. They didn't travel steerage class and had no trouble financially (though he did leave Pittsburgh for Donora because his Irish neighbors harassed him over the issue)... The reason for leaving had to do with a political argument that pitted the five of them three against two. (My great-grandfather Percy and brothers Rod and Owen were Liberal voters and the other two, Alfred and Fred were Tories) The big split came over the 1904 Devonport by-election and snowballed from there until 1907 when my great-grandfather came here.

Thanks for destroying my narrative! LMFAO

Haha... I still appreciate the sentiment though and I am in sympathy with the cause of Irish reunification Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies