Catholic church opens up - a little bit - to gay couples (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Catholic church opens up - a little bit - to gay couples (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholic church opens up - a little bit - to gay couples  (Read 1672 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »

First of all, remember this is a draft of the starting point where the 200 or so bishops are coming from as they head into the Synod. It has no doctrinal weight within the Catholic Church. It is not a finished product and it's kind of surprising both that they released the text and that anyone actually read it.

Overall the "midterm report" from the Synod so far has been a change in style rather than substance with regards to Paragraph 50 on homosexuality, which is the one the media seems to be intrigued by, and that was quoted in the article linked:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Notice which sentence was left off in the article linked to from here. The meaning is somewhat different with and without it. It is another restatement of the Church's teaching that homosexual acts are sinful but that homosexual tendencies are not and that we need to treat people with them with dignity and respect (though in our culture the latter is often interpreted as meaning supporting their actions). It's again the "hate the sin, love the sinner" paradox though this time focusing on the "loving the sinner" part.

Paragraph 51 goes on to affirm the Church's "hate the sin" part of its teachings on the topic, albeit vaguely not very forcefully for anyone who doesn't already know its teachings:

If there is a paragraph in this document that might be change with regards to homosexuality in some way, it's Paragraph 52:

I actually have no idea what that paragraph means. It may be a reference to the Church's stance against same-sex adoption. I'm not sure. I'm not sure the paragraph actually says anything at all. If it does it's extremely unclear.

The things to keep in mind is that this isn't the final version and the current form has no doctrinal weight. If something like Paragraph 50 ends up with the final document (which I'd be surprised if it doesn't) then there is no doctrinal shift. If something like Paragraph 52 ends up in the final form, then we'll have a heck of a time trying to figure out what it means. I can only presume that by the time they get to the final draft they make it clear.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies