Catholic church opens up - a little bit - to gay couples (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:13:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Catholic church opens up - a little bit - to gay couples (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholic church opens up - a little bit - to gay couples  (Read 1675 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: October 15, 2014, 03:52:16 AM »

A kinder, gentler homophobia.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »

Well that was fun while it lasted.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:13:14 PM »

Seriously. How tantalizing (for, you know, what it was), and what a disappointment. I mean, at least 'no consensus' (which is how this is being reported) is less bad than an actively reactionary consensus, and at least Cardinal Burke has been demoted, but still.

To be fair, it's not as if we have to wait for permission. The major issue for me (because quite frankly I don't really care what they think about gay people; part of me believes there's a deliberate effort to be contrary anyway) was no agreement reached on communion (with the emphasis on the communal part of that) for divorcees.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »

In "The Changing Face of the Priesthood" (2000) Rev. Donald B. Cozzens claimed the priesthood was increasingly becoming a gay profession in the US. Cozzens estimated that as much as 58% of priests are gay, and that percentages were higher for younger priests. The article says sociological estimates varies from 10% to 60%. So no consensus.

Really? That's a bit surprising. I would've figured that it would be declining as irreligion and open homosexuality became socially acceptable.

One can easily assume that young priests aren't irreligious.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »

In "The Changing Face of the Priesthood" (2000) Rev. Donald B. Cozzens claimed the priesthood was increasingly becoming a gay profession in the US. Cozzens estimated that as much as 58% of priests are gay, and that percentages were higher for younger priests. The article says sociological estimates varies from 10% to 60%. So no consensus.

Really? That's a bit surprising. I would've figured that it would be declining as irreligion and open homosexuality became socially acceptable.

One can easily assume that young priests aren't irreligious.

Right, but conversion/apostasy isn't a cold, logical process. One would think that given an accepting secular environment, a young homosexual Catholic would be significantly more likely to say "t'hell with it" than in 1950.

Yes, they probably would. A significant number of heterosexual young Catholics would also say 'to hell with it'. That's why 60-70 years ago most Catholic extended families had at least one priest, now few do. Given that homosexuality in western Catholic majority/minority nations is not as tolerated as 'carefree' heterosexuality, it makes sense that a more disproportionate number of heterosexual Catholics think 'to f-ck' with the priesthood which, by extension, leaves a core number of homosexuals who aren't able to do the same. It's not that there are 'more' gays in the priesthood, it's that there are less heterosexuals (and less gays too in raw number I would imagine but making up a larger proportion)

Indeed, having a very large number of sexually repressed and self loathing homosexuals in the Church as the numbers taking the vocation fell was probably the catalyst for the Church codifying it's opposition to gays (On Pastoral Care etc) so strongly in the 1980's when before hand, it was generally indifferent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies