Clinton vs. Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:29:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton vs. Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton vs. Obama  (Read 2018 times)
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »

On which issues will President Hillary Clinton differ most from President Obama? On which issues will she move left, and on which issues will she move right?

Will she run to his right on environmental policy by approving the Keystone Pipeline and approving more permits for drilling on federal land?

Will she stop the dramatic cuts to the military?

Will she push single payer health care?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »

Hillary arguably ran to Obama's left on health care even in 2008, so I'm assuming that. She'll run to his right on foreign policy of course.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »

While Obama is certainly no liberal, Hillary is to his right on warmongering, Israel, fracking, outsourcing, and numerous other issues.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 12:35:52 AM »

Not even trolling: considering the historical precedents of Wilson, FDR, Truman, JFK and LBJ, when did everyone decide being a hawk/interventionist became an inherently "conservative" thing?  It had to be post-Iraq war, which is really lazy.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:19 AM »

Not even trolling: considering the historical precedents of Wilson, FDR, Truman, JFK and LBJ, when did everyone decide being a hawk/interventionist became an inherently "conservative" thing?  It had to be post-Iraq war, which is really lazy.
True. If anything, from an ideological perspective you would assume a conservative (not a neocon) to take a realist position to foreign affairs, i.e. letting countries mind their own business unless direct US interests are involved, whereas you'd expect a liberal to take a more idealist position. This would entail a stronger focus on international cooperation rather than unilateral action, but it would also mean a greater penchant for intervening internationally to uphold human rights, etc.

Neocons represent the worst of both worlds, really.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »

Clinton is clearly more hawkish than Obama (or as the hysterics refer to it, 'warmongering')... but she's a lot more aggressive on issues like women's rights, healthcare and education. Plus I think she'd be more populist on economic issues... not that it's a good thing.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »

Clinton is clearly more hawkish than Obama (or as the hysterics refer to it, 'warmongering')... but she's a lot more aggressive on issues like women's rights, healthcare and education. Plus I think she'd be more populist on economic issues... not that it's a good thing.

A Democrat who doesn't want his/her party to embrace economic populism?  Uh, come on over...
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

A Democrat who doesn't want his/her party to embrace economic populism?  Uh, come on over...
Huh. No thanks.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 05:22:46 AM »

Granted, being more populist than Obama on economic issues isn't a very high bar, but I don't see any evidence for it. I think she's more in the Cory Booker camp. Remember when Cory Booker criticized Obama for mentioning Romney's Wall Street ties?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 05:29:11 AM »

Granted, being more populist than Obama on economic issues isn't a very high bar, but I don't see any evidence for it. I think she's more in the Cory Booker camp. Remember when Cory Booker criticized Obama for mentioning Romney's Wall Street ties?

I think her comments over the past few months have been testing the waters for a 'more' populist message.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 05:30:15 AM »

Been there, done that, got the trauma and t-shirt to show for it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »

You're wrong.  That trend developed during the Second Red Scare where anti-Communism fueled the idea that we needed to beat back communism militarily and needed a giant military to oppose the Soviets. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »

I think her comments over the past few months have been testing the waters for a 'more' populist message.

Which comments were these?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »

Neither Lincoln, Wilson, nor FDR wanted war, but got it anyway, and handled it as ferociously as necessary. The current President is on the brink.

There is no ideological defense of genocide for either a conservative or a liberal.

Paradoxically it may be the politicians who least relish war who handle it best.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »

Hilary will be an extension of Obama, which means an extension of Bush. Bush 3.0 at worst and Bush 2.0 (Obama) at best. She will be more dovish on WS, and more hawkish on foreign policy. She won't get make domestic issues a topic in her first term since she will probably have things on her plate like foreign policy, immigration, and the economy. She's also more pro-Israel

A Texas Republican complaining that the next Democratic nominee would be "Bush 3.0".

Only on Atlas...
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »

Funny, out of all the potential 2016 candidates, Clinton's not the one I would consider 'Bush. 3.0'.

Hint: It's Bush!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies