Would you rather live in Atlanta or Des Moines?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:07:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in Atlanta or Des Moines?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Where would you rather live?
Atlanta, Georgia

Des Moines, Iowa

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Atlanta or Des Moines?  (Read 1221 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »

Des Moines by far.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »

Des Moines by a lot. 
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »

Des Moines because I love the Midwest and I hate the Braves. Bring back the Thrashers, though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »

I've lived in Atlanta and Omaha (Des Moines, only bigger/better) and it's not a contest.  Des Moines by a long shot.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »

Reported thread for trolling - no one in their right mind would pick Atlanta.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2014, 11:20:13 AM by Torie »

Reno, NV, used to call itself the "biggest" little town in America. Conversely, Des Moines, after perhaps the Quad Cities, strikes me as one of the "smallest" bigger metro areas in the US. Despite having perhaps a half million folks in the metro area, there really isn't much there, and the downtown is somnolent and drab. Even finding a decent restaurant there has proven to be a bit of a challenge (ended up going to a Russian restaurant, which ended up being something of a disaster). Kind of cruel to say this, but Iowa is just an incredibly frumpy place; it seems most of the folks with energy and creativity, have split the place over the decades. None of my clan is still encamped there for example, not even a measly distant cousin for example. There seems to be more action in Hudson, NY, with a "metro area" of about 15,000 or so - a lot more action. So Atlanta.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »

Liar, liar pants on fire. Which is a good thing, because even if otherwise you have no redeeming virtues, your personal Pandora's Box long ago having been opened, still left in it is the fact that you are not a "reporting" type. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »

Liar, liar pants on fire. Which is a good thing, because even if otherwise you have no redeeming virtues, your personal Pandora's Box long ago having been opened, still left in it is the fact that you are not a "reporting" type. Smiley

fortunate for him because the mod who would have responded to the report is a proud Atlanta patriot

Grin
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »

Well, I reported a lot of stuff for Gustaf just to piss him off,  same with Gully and Oakvale, but you're right.  Take awy those and there's not many.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »

I'm sure Atlanta sucks, but Des Moines is a boring sh**thole. If you wanna do Iowa right, Iowa City is the way to go.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »

Atlanta, by far.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »

I've heard mixed things about Des Moines. Some along the lines that Des Moines has a number of amenities and culture for a city of only 200k, plus good schools and relatively low crime. Others, similar to what Torie has said.

My wife lived and worked in the Atlanta arts community for a number of years before we left. Yes, definite downsides with its sprawl, traffic, crime, but all in all I know we'd probably sooner move there for offering so much more than Des Moines. That said, the older we and the kids get, the less important things like a wide variety of restaurants, museums, band venues, microbreweries, etc. all become. Anymore we rarely make use of the ones we have near us as it is. Tongue So long as they kept pro hockey (albeit AHL level) there....

Advantage to Atlanta, they'd have a better chance of growing up around and becoming friends with people from other ethnicities (yes, Forum, not all Republicans consider "diversity" a bad thing Grin). On the other hand living in Des Moines would make it possible for even minor local politicos like me to have US Senators, governors, and even future presidents come to my house even to pitch to a handful of neighbors. Cheesy
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 12:58:15 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2014, 08:01:06 PM by TDAS04 »

Reno, NV, used to call itself the "biggest" little town in America. Conversely, Des Moines, after perhaps the Quad Cities, strikes me as one of the "smallest" bigger metro areas in the US. Despite having perhaps a half million folks in the metro area, there really isn't much there, and the downtown is somnolent and drab. Even finding a decent restaurant there has proven to be a bit of a challenge (ended up going to a Russian restaurant, which ended up being something of a disaster). Kind of cruel to say this, but Iowa is just an incredibly frumpy place; it seems most of the folks with energy and creativity, have split the place over the decades. None of my clan is still encamped there for example, not even a measly distant cousin for example. There seems to be more action in Hudson, NY, with a "metro area" of about 15,000 or so - a lot more action. So Atlanta.

Uh, no.  Des Moines is actually more of solid, hip, cultured city than you'd expect from a city its size. It has a decent downtown with some tall buildings.  I like that that the city combines the best of both worlds, in that it has several big city aspects and activities, but still small enough to be friendly and comfortable.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »

Some along the lines that Des Moines has a number of amenities and culture for a city of only 200k, plus good schools and relatively low crime.

That is a good description.

My wife lived and worked in the Atlanta arts community for a number of years before we left. Yes, definite downsides with its sprawl, traffic, crime, but all in all I know we'd probably sooner move there for offering so much more than Des Moines. That said, the older we and the kids get, the less important things like a wide variety of restaurants, museums, band venues, microbreweries, etc. all become. Anymore we rarely make use of the ones we have near us as it is. Tongue So long as they kept pro hockey (albeit AHL level) there....

Des Moines has all those. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 04:27:39 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »

Des Moines, but I wouldn't dislike Atlanta.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »

Des Moines for the weather.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »

Atlanta because I've lived relatively close to it most of my life.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

Atlanta.

Outside of Chicago, the Midwest isn't really that great.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »

Better than Atlanta, but the weather isn't really one of the positives about Des Moines either.  Neither is cold enough. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »

Atlanta for the universities.  Drake doesn't cut it, although the universities of Atlanta are notably language-science-poor.  If, for some reason, I'm forced out of academia, either seems fine to me; maybe Des Moines because of less sprawl, but I've always really enjoyed Atlanta whenever I've visited.  Based on the discussion so far, I seem to be one of the only people who'd find this a difficult but pleasant choice to make!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »

I'd move to Atlanta
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »

Better than Atlanta, but the weather isn't really one of the positives about Des Moines either.  Neither is cold enough. 

You people are insane.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies