Should the US adopt a single-payer health care system? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:53:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US adopt a single-payer health care system? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Should the US adopt a single-payer health care system?  (Read 6308 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 16, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

A methodical transition into such a system is not only an economic matter but also a moral one, so yes, we should adopt a single-payer system.  The UK started implementing the NHS in 1947!  This is after effectively existing as a monarchy not 30 years ago and two wars. 

Our health insurance industry is a massive employer. It would take about two decades for us to transition without any negative economic repercussions. It's the same problem I have with the ideas of simplifying the tax code or making college education 100% free. There are jobs at stake when we do these things. People make a living off the complexities of our systems.

I think the ACA system is severely underrated and will work provided saboteurs stop saboteuring and expand Medicaid.

King, you had mentioned that much of our economy and many jobs are dependent on our convoluted system.  Did we not make it through the recession and collapse of the financial sector?  You just have to transition as much as possible during a "boom" period with a lot of government projects hiring and a political environment favorable to taxing the crap out of the rich (our rich are taxed so lowly that I feel people underestimate the effect of a reasonable tax hike on them, it'd be almost transformative.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies