Should the US adopt a single-payer health care system? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:22:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US adopt a single-payer health care system? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Should the US adopt a single-payer health care system?  (Read 6298 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »

Most definitely. It's one of my most strongest beliefs. However, while I am idealistic in terms of healthcare, I do recognize the practical realities. Taking single-payer nationwide would be extraordinarily difficult. The ACA has allowed for a very strong foundation though. I think states should build from it and be allowed to experiment to a certain extent. Vermont already has a single-payer law set for 2017. I'm also hopeful that California will also pass such a law. With full federal waivers from all other healthcare programs (so that the money can be put into the new system), we would be able to see first-hand how single-payer can function in this country.

On the other hand, if states want to experiment with the Bismarck system, I'd be fine with that as well. The ACA is not and should not be the endpoint of the American healthcare system. I do not waver on the principle that no American should be uninsured or otherwise denied healthcare. In the meantime, let's have some states adopt a single-payer healthcare system and see how it goes.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »

That only shows how the framing of various healthcare questions affects polling. It's the same way the ACA has majority disapproval, despite the vast majority of its provisions being very popular. If you frame single-payer as "government-run" or a "government takeover", the polling will probably be problematic. If it's placed under the "Medicare for All" banner, the polling is much more favourable. Medicare is wildly popular, especially among beneficiaries. I think the biggest disappointment of the ACA was the failure to include the 55+ Medicare buy-in option (and we have Joe Lieberman to thank for that).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »

The brief window of opportunity we had of having a single-payer system on par with the National Health Service in Great Britain was in the immediate post-war years.  We missed it.  And there is nothing to suggest that such a window will open again in the immediate future, not with the suspicious -almost paranoid- attitude of the American people toward their government (if you were a census worker or with the civil service, you'd know), which hasn't improved after six years of this administration.  

Considering how painful and difficult it was to pass Obamacare, not to mention its lingering unpopularity, introducing single-payer would meet an even worse reception from the American people, already suspicious of government overreach with Obamacare.  

Single-Payer is dead on arrival.  Count on it.

I can't say I entirely disagree with you. Wholesale transformation of the American healthcare system in one bill is virtually impossible. I was never someone that ever believed we could get single-payer passed in 2009 or 2010. However, I am one that believes it can be accomplished piecemeal. As I said above, lowering the age of Medicare eligibility to 55 would have been a huge accomplishment. I was also one that was strongly supportive of a public option. Our main problem was Joe Lieberman (and Ben Nelson, to a lesser extent). And, if it weren't for SCOTUS, a lot more people would be on Medicaid (even more if we had passed the House bill instead of the Senate bill).

As for the past, there were far too many missed opportunities. I would have happily taken Nixon's proposal. It wasn't perfect, but it would've been a huge foundation to build upon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies