Neil Patrick Harris is the next Oscars host.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:47:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Neil Patrick Harris is the next Oscars host.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neil Patrick Harris is the next Oscars host.  (Read 886 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/showbiz/neil-patrick-harris-oscars-host/

Neil Patrick Harris is a savvy Broadway veteran, who has hosted the Tony Awards four times, and the Emmy's twice.

He's played Hedwig in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, was Douglas "Doogie Howser" is Doogie Howser M.D, charmed people as Barney Stinson in How I Met Your Met Your Mother, and portrayed Desi Collins in Gone Girl, a heart wrenching tale that is already receiving Oscar buzz.

So, the question becomes, is he a good host for the Academy Awards? I'll tell you this much, it's definitely better than Billy Crystal hosting for the 10th time.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »

I don't know.  Billy Crystal has been in such movies as When Harry Met Sally with Meg Ryan, and Analyze This with Robert DeNiro.  He is commonly considered one of the greatest actors of the modern age of cinema. 

This brings up the question, is it good to not have Billy Crystal as Oscar host?  I'll tell you, it's better than having him sitting idly at the Yankees game. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »

Seth MacFarlane should do it again.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »

Seth MacFarlane is the comedy writer of hits like Family Guy and American Dad.  He is also the producer of the acclaimed series Cosmos. 

I wonder if Americans want him to host again? 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »

Good.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »

Cheesy He'll be great.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »

'Heart wrenching' would not be my or any human's first choice of adjective for Gone Girl.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »

A lot of weird in this thread.....
I don't know.  Billy Crystal has been in such movies as When Harry Met Sally with Meg Ryan, and Analyze This with Robert DeNiro.  He is commonly considered one of the greatest actors of the modern age of cinema.
Is he?  I like him and think he's fine at playing Billy Crystal (or one of the 2 or 3 characters he has), and I see he has won some decent acting awards (and a lot, ironically, for hosting the Oscars), but is he really considered one of the greatest actors of the modern age?  First time I've heard that.

Seth has said he won't do it again and I'm pretty sure America agrees that's a good idea.  I don't watch the Oscars (normally) and I do enjoy the smackdown he dropped on some people, but he's probably a bit too much for that type of setting.

As for NPH, I like him too and think he'll do a fine job...but am I the only person to pretty much only know him from the Harold and Kumar movies?  Of course I'm aware he was Doogie (never watched it) and he's on that How I Met Your Mother show (watched it enough to know I don't like it) and my family LOVES that musical comedy he's in with the really long title (musicals and me don't get along), but to me he's the crazy guy stealing Harold's car and getting strippers.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »

Billy Crystal is terrible.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »

I've never understood why the Oscars demand G-rated watered down humor as part of a celebration of the best R-rated movies of the year.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »

I've never understood why the Oscars demand G-rated watered down humor as part of a celebration of the best R-rated movies of the year.

Because they're on Network Television.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »

Fabulous insight, NYE. I never thought if it like that before.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »

Fabulous insight, NYE. I never thought if it like that before.

I assume that's sarcasm.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »

A lot of weird in this thread.....
Is he?  I like him and think he's fine at playing Billy Crystal (or one of the 2 or 3 characters he has), and I see he has won some decent acting awards (and a lot, ironically, for hosting the Oscars), but is he really considered one of the greatest actors of the modern age?  First time I've heard that.

Seth has said he won't do it again and I'm pretty sure America agrees that's a good idea.  I don't watch the Oscars (normally) and I do enjoy the smackdown he dropped on some people, but he's probably a bit too much for that type of setting.

As for NPH, I like him too and think he'll do a fine job...but am I the only person to pretty much only know him from the Harold and Kumar movies?  Of course I'm aware he was Doogie (never watched it) and he's on that How I Met Your Mother show (watched it enough to know I don't like it) and my family LOVES that musical comedy he's in with the really long title (musicals and me don't get along), but to me he's the crazy guy stealing Harold's car and getting strippers.

I'm sorry.  I have a machine I turn on to respond in NYE threads to keep them more consistent. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies