Mideast Senate Candidates Forum/Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:29:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Senate Candidates Forum/Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Senate Candidates Forum/Debate  (Read 596 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:06:03 AM »

Well, I think we need one of these threads. A chance for the good people of the Mideast to put questions to me, Motley and Windjammer, and for us to question each other.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:36:39 AM »

Are we really so boring? Well, I'll put a question to both of my opponents in this race, namely, why do you think that you would be able to represent the Mideast better than me?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »

It's been two days, not really an eternity.  I'll just start off with a question:

What are your stances on land taxation?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

No doubt Atlasia's economy has taken a hit lately due to the chaotic period between DemPGH's resignation and Cranberry's inauguration. What do you think is the best path forward in terms of our economic policies?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »

Guys, I all saw your question, I will answer you tomorrow!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 03:18:28 AM »

To answer Mechaman's question, I am theoretically amenable to a land tax, provided that its set at a very low level, and is balanced against cuts in income or inheritance tax. However, given that its proponents usually demand that it be introduced at a severely confiscatory level, I think that we are unlikely to see a land tax any time soon.

To answer your question Maxwell, I think that the best path forward is adhering to free market policies, with government intervention thrown into the mix as and when needed. Obviously the economy is in a very bad way, and I do not think that now is the time for radical new experiments, either ones reduceding the scope of state activity or expanding them. We must support all worthy businesses, big and small and the financial sector. If institutions need to be bailed out, we should be prepared to bail them out if it is truly in the public interest. If there is a strong case for subsidising a business, then we should be prepared to subsidise it. On the other hand, we must work to ensure that regulations on business, whilst still necessary, are not too onerous for them to handle. A flexible internal labour market is a necessary part of this picture, which is why, if I am re-elected, I intend to propose further reforms to increase the flexibility of the labour market, which I believe will benefit both employers and employees in the long term. However, I think our main concern should be reestablishing economic stability at this present juncture.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 05:30:08 PM »

1) For Cassius:
Well, I don't believe you're a terrible senator because you're someone who is at least active and who tries to advance his agenda. But your ideology is quite, different to me.
You're both too fiscal and social conservative.
Fiscally, you're too anti-union for me, I mean, you basically support the return of Taft Hardley...
And socially, while I oppose incest as well, I wouldn't try like you to pass a constitutionnal amendment to ban that. Incest has nothing to do in the constitution. To be honest, I'm not regionalist irl but on this game I am. This is fairly interesting how regions manage to become completely something else than an another region. The anti gay bill and the anti abortion bill in the Mideast, with the pro incest pro polygamy in the Northeast, that makes the game really interesting given the reactions. So I'm definitely more regionalist than you as well.

2) Mechaman, in which context?

3) Maxwell, simply, the current crisis isn't an economic crisis, that was simply made by a bunch of people who wanted to make fun of this game. My answer is clear to that: I don't want Atlasia to become a secession war simulation. I hope BK will prosecute other people. If elected senator, I will try to suppress the power of the president to give pardons: Tyrion basically gave amnesty to all the terrorists who committed a crime in the last 10 years (crime against Atlasia...), and allowed people who did some awful things not to be prosecuted.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »

What would be your top priority as Senator?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:40:43 PM »

Being active, and being regularly in contact with my constituents. If I'm elected, I plan to create a thread for my office, and to regularly update it, like explaining why in detail  I'm voting for this bill, I don't want to hide anything to hide anything to my constituents.
I plan to make a monthly "coffeee with Senator windjammer" if elected. I want to represent my constituents not only during the election, but during all the term. I will of course always introduce legislations a constituents wishes to introduce!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »

3) Maxwell, simply, the current crisis isn't an economic crisis, that was simply made by a bunch of people who wanted to make fun of this game. My answer is clear to that: I don't want Atlasia to become a secession war simulation. I hope BK will prosecute other people. If elected senator, I will try to suppress the power of the president to give pardons: Tyrion basically gave amnesty to all the terrorists who committed a crime in the last 10 years (crime against Atlasia...), and allowed people who did some awful things not to be prosecuted.

Wouldn't the current crisis severely effect the economy though?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »

Are we really so boring? Well, I'll put a question to both of my opponents in this race, namely, why do you think that you would be able to represent the Mideast better than me?
Well, I personally believe that my views on policy are much more in line with the average Mideasterner. I believe in lower taxes and less government intervention in the economy AND overseas. I also believe in personal freedoms and more regional autonomy.

It's been two days, not really an eternity.  I'll just start off with a question:

What are your stances on land taxation?
I am against land taxation unless that land is owned by a non-citizen. Any foreign national or foreign government should pay a tax. Private citizens should not be taxed on the land that they own.

Like Windjammer, my top priority would be keeping active, and promoting new and innovative solutions while creating more regional autonomy. I believe a focus on regional government will help make the game more fun and active.

No doubt Atlasia's economy has taken a hit lately due to the chaotic period between DemPGH's resignation and Cranberry's inauguration. What do you think is the best path forward in terms of our economic policies?
Ultimately the best solution is more regional autonomy (this would also help reduce the chance of future problems with governments trying to be overthrown). We also need to reduce tax rates where possible and maintain a balanced budget. I also believe we need to have increased transparency of the national bank, and where our money is being spent.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »

1) For Cassius:
Well, I don't believe you're a terrible senator because you're someone who is at least active and who tries to advance his agenda. But your ideology is quite, different to me.
You're both too fiscal and social conservative.
Fiscally, you're too anti-union for me, I mean, you basically support the return of Taft Hardley...
And socially, while I oppose incest as well, I wouldn't try like you to pass a constitutionnal amendment to ban that. Incest has nothing to do in the constitution. To be honest, I'm not regionalist irl but on this game I am. This is fairly interesting how regions manage to become completely something else than an another region. The anti gay bill and the anti abortion bill in the Mideast, with the pro incest pro polygamy in the Northeast, that makes the game really interesting given the reactions. So I'm definitely more regionalist than you as well.

2) Mechaman, in which context?

Taft-Hartley was a compromise in its time and it's overall principals are still valid Windjammer. It's why I've taken the lead in its reinstatement. Unions still had the right to organize and bargin for their members while management still had the right to hire non-Union labor (especially in right-to-work states). Individuals retain the right wether to join a union or not.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:20 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2014, 07:17:50 PM by Mechaman »

To Windjammer,

I mean like a tax on the unmodified value of land.

The purpose of it would be limit wealth inequality by putting punitive taxes on those who own the most expensive land.  It would be a way of battling both social injustice as well as prevent excessive abuse of the environment by requiring that people pay for the land they use.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 07:22:07 PM »

Candidates,

Say one day while having breakfast your hypothetical brother and sister come downstairs and tell the family they are in love and they are moving to the Northeast to get married.  How would that impact your view of incest legalization?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies