Some facts about homelessness in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:11:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Some facts about homelessness in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some facts about homelessness in America  (Read 1750 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

More: http://www.alternet.org/10-shocking-and-wildly-depressing-facts-about-being-homeless-uncaring-america
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »

Not shocked, still very saddened. What's worse is that nothing is being done about homelessness but somehow giving more money to the rich is a priority Roll Eyes
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »

Thankfully, here in New York Andrew Cuomo cut state funding for homeless youth programs by around 70%.  Such a progressive.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »

Not shocked, still very saddened. What's worse is that nothing is being done about homelessness but somehow giving more money to the rich is a priority Roll Eyes
That's obviously not true and offensive to the thousands of people working hard to make the numbers better.  Why do you hate social workers?

Fact 1-homelessness has declined 6.8% since 2007

Fact 2-Chronic homelessness has declined by 19.3 percent since 2007

Fact 3-Homelessness among veterans has declined by 7.2 percent since 2011 and by 17.2 percent since 2009

cite=HUD

and HUD's budget (by itself, not counting what the VA or the Dep of Health is doing) is $47B.  Maybe it should be more, but it's a lot more than nothing.  I'm not saying we're perfect.  I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to do more or that it's not an important issue, but come on.  We don't have a national crisis on our hands.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »

That's obviously not true and offensive to the thousands of people working hard to make the numbers better.  Why do you hate social workers?

It was clearly exaggeration to say that nothing is being done. It'd be more accurate, in my mind, to say "not enough."

and HUD's budget (by itself, not counting what the VA or the Dep of Health is doing) is $47B.  Maybe it should be more, but it's a lot more than nothing.  I'm not saying we're perfect.  I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to do more or that it's not an important issue, but come on.  We don't have a national crisis on our hands.

Agree that we should be doing more and that it's an important issue, but it is a crisis. The fact that there are still half a million people who don't even have a place to live is pretty staggering. Given that we've got a budget for our foreign military operations that exceeds 10 times the amount that HUD has, it seems a little crass to say it's "better than nothing." Obviously my belief of cutting the military budget to $0 is impractical, but can't we redirect some of that money towards defeating an enemy at home that afflicts half a million people?

Maybe I haven't yet grasped that the world isn't what I think it is, or should be.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

Fact 1-homelessness has declined 6.8% since 2007

Fact 2-Chronic homelessness has declined by 19.3 percent since 2007

Fact 3-Homelessness among veterans has declined by 7.2 percent since 2011 and by 17.2 percent since 2009

cite=HUD

I was totally with you until the last sentence. The country has a bad problem. We're making progress, even though things are still far from perfect. You even get a gold star for precise stats and having a link. I wish more posters were as diligent. And then you said it wasn't a crisis...It's hard to think of a bigger crisis than that many people without a home.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:00:36 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2014, 02:03:22 AM by CountryClassSF »

You cannot even walk a street in San Francisco without Seeing the homeless. Do you know that we have a feces problem in our streets? We spend $160m on them and the city remains infested with them. Liberalism has failed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:58:40 AM »

I was totally with you until the last sentence. The country has a bad problem. We're making progress, even though things are still far from perfect. You even get a gold star for precise stats and having a link. I wish more posters were as diligent. And then you said it wasn't a crisis...It's hard to think of a bigger crisis than that many people without a home.
0.5% of the population...most of which go in and out of homelessness, many of which chose the lifestyle and for others it's better than the alternative.  For it to be a crisis it would need to be more than 0.5% of the population.

On the other hand, we have 5 times more empty houses than we do homeless people.  It would be nice if we could put the two together easily, but ya know, laws.  Perhaps the govt could buy some empty houses from the banks that own them (ideally at a low low price) and put some homeless in them....but aren't they already doing that?  Maybe not to the extent we'd like nor in that exact way.

but my point is, it's not a crisis.  Sure, for many of the people involved it is, but not for America at large.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:54 AM »

A lot of areas deal with their homeless problem by giving them a 1 way ticket to San Francisco. California should sue to recoup all the associated expenses because of the additional homeless.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »

You mean like this?
or this
and they have sued at least one state, Nevada for doing just that.  cite
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »

0.5% of the population...most of which go in and out of homelessness, many of which chose the lifestyle and for others it's better than the alternative.  For it to be a crisis it would need to be more than 0.5% of the population.

On the other hand, we have 5 times more empty houses than we do homeless people.  It would be nice if we could put the two together easily, but ya know, laws.  Perhaps the govt could buy some empty houses from the banks that own them (ideally at a low low price) and put some homeless in them....but aren't they already doing that?  Maybe not to the extent we'd like nor in that exact way.

but my point is, it's not a crisis.  Sure, for many of the people involved it is, but not for America at large.
Perhaps we just define crisis differently. As for SF, their weather ensures a higher homeless population than most of the country. There's a reason homeless people would rather live there than Minneapolis.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »

Perhaps we just define crisis differently. As for SF, their weather ensures a higher homeless population than most of the country. There's a reason homeless people would rather live there than Minneapolis.
Agreed on all counts....still seems that's awfully low bar for the term crisis though.  Would 300k still be a crisis?  100k?  10k?  I doubt we could get it that far down even if we did every reasonable thing we could think of to lower the number.  Some people just don't want to live with an address.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »

Do you have numbers on how much of homelessness is voluntary like you keep asserting?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »

Do you have numbers on how much of homelessness is voluntary like you keep asserting?

The poor have it good in America, you see. Too good.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »

Nope, but it's certainly greater than 0.  Good luck if you decide to search, my Google Fu is quite strong and I got nothing.  It seems it's a question the people that care a lot about the homeless don't want to ask.

But you'll note from this article that there are many, especially on the west coast, that are homeless because they think it's "cool".  (there was a good King of the Hill episode on the subject)
I'll agree it's likely a smallish percentage of the overall homeless, say between 10 and 30%.  Higher in some places, much lower in others.

The poor have it good in America, you see. Too good.
straw0man smells that smell again
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »

You're saying you think it's reasonable to believe that between 60,000 and 180,000 people in the United states have chosen to be homeless for cultural reasons?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »

Deadman: Does it really matter a damn that the number of people of homeless who "prefer" homelessness--even discounting the percentage of that percentage who say that in a feeble attempt to preserve pride that is daily striped from them by their circumstances--is "more than zero"? Should the 99% of homeless be shortchanged of relief funded (God forbid) by the government because 1% enjoy their happy go lucky lifestyle?

More pointedly, how many homeless children (let alone their parents) "chose" that existence? "Mommie, do we get to camp out again tonight? Yaaaayy!!!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »

I've never said we should do less than we do, in fact I've said we should do more.  I'm not against the homeless, the majority of which are there through no fault of their own.  I have an especially soft spot for vets and families (as a vet and family haver).  I just don't think it's a national crisis and that it's a hard nut to crack.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »

I see your point, and maybe we're debating over semantics, but the fact that about 1 million children are functionally homeless to me is a crisis.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »

I see your point, and maybe we're debating over semantics, but the fact that about 1 million children are functionally homeless to me is a crisis.

For a second I thought Reaganfan said this...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies