Rand Paul contradicts health officials; calls Ebola "incredibly contagious"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:20:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rand Paul contradicts health officials; calls Ebola "incredibly contagious"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rand Paul contradicts health officials; calls Ebola "incredibly contagious"  (Read 1524 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0ac626f49c2343bf869ee6598d06383e/us-sen-paul-ebola-incredibly-contagious

"Ebola, he says, is easier to contract.

"You're not going to get AIDS at a cocktail party. No one's going to cough on you and you're going to get AIDS. Everybody knows that. That's what they make it sound exactly like," Paul, a doctor and potential presidential contender, said Thursday at Plymouth State University in New Hampshire. "But then you listen to them closely, they say you have to have direct contact. But you know how they define direct contact? Being within three feet of someone."
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:50:55 PM »

Ebola is, in fact, easier to contract than AIDS. IMO the whole ebola scare here in the US is a paranoid overreaction but don't pretend like this is some sort of blatantly incorrect gaffe.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »

Ebola is, in fact, easier to contract than AIDS. IMO the whole ebola scare here in the US is a paranoid overreaction but don't pretend like this is some sort of blatantly incorrect gaffe.
^^^

How else would those nurses catch ebola? Did they tongue kiss (American) patient zero? They clearly contracted it through some form of contact. It may not be the bubonic plague, but yes, ebola is indeed very contagious.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »

I would agree. Getting the disease is dangerously easy, however that's no excuse for the constant panicking in the media.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »

^^^

How else would those nurses catch ebola? Did they tongue kiss (American) patient zero? They clearly contracted it through some form of contact. It may not be the bubonic plague, but yes, ebola is indeed very contagious.

I would imagine the fact that as nurses they were frequently around his bodily fluids (blood, spit, urine, etc) for extended periods played a role, which is not the case for most interactions between people.

But coughing does not transmit the disease, so that was an extremely poor example for a physician to use for comparison.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:27 PM »

What a disgusting, dangerous POS.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »

He is a doctor, you know. "Don't catch eyebola" - Dr. Sen. Rand Paul (L-KY)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

^^^

I would imagine the fact that as nurses they were frequently around his bodily fluids (blood, spit, urine, etc) for extended periods played a role, which is not the case for most interactions between people.

But coughing does not transmit the disease, so that was an extremely poor example for a physician to use for comparison.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Because I know that when I'm coughing, I always make a point to stand right next to someone and aim right for their face. And if that doesn't work, I just spit mucus at them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »

^^^

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Because I know that when I'm coughing, I always make a point to stand right next to someone and aim right for their face. And if that doesn't work, I just spit mucus at them.
...yet, somehow, people are still contracting Ebola by the thousands in Africa. Surely it is most likely from the sanitation, but I have a hard time imagining the people of Liberia are standing in it.

Also, you assume that most people aren't as well mannered. I can't count the number of times I have been coughed on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies