South Park best libertarian show?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:33:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  South Park best libertarian show?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Park best libertarian show?  (Read 634 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »

...According to Reason. I thought BRTD would get a good kick out of this. They also did an article on anti-libertarian shows.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:26 PM »

BRTD is NOT going to like that The Wire is on this list.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »

The Wire is not libertarian, that's ridiculous.  David Simon is a huge gun control advocate. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »

I guess; I'm about as far from a libertarian as they get and I still like it Smiley
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:42:30 AM »

South Park is hit or miss (and most of its hits are when it's apolitical). The X-Files would probably be my pick, with Firefly in second.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »

Probably.  That said, this week's anti-union nonsense was too much for me, even. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:34:56 PM »

Probably.  That said, this week's anti-union nonsense was too much for me, even. 
What?  It was making fun of the auto industry, Matthew McConaughey, Canadians and old cartoons....what's that got to do with unions?  I guess there may have been something small in there about unions, but it certainly wasn't a big part....which makes me think you were talking about last weeks, but that was about trans people....maybe the week before?  Nope, glutten....the week before that?  Nope, that was kickstarter and the Washington Redskins.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:59:13 PM »

What?  It was making fun of the auto industry, Matthew McConaughey, Canadians and old cartoons....what's that got to do with unions?  I guess there may have been something small in there about unions, but it certainly wasn't a big part....which makes me think you were talking about last weeks, but that was about trans people....maybe the week before?  Nope, glutten....the week before that?  Nope, that was kickstarter and the Washington Redskins.

The whole thing about the taxi driver busting up Timmy's legs because his private Handicab service was better than the taxi service was clearly a shot at unions, with Mimzy going on later about how it's all just the free market.  Especially when he sneered, "We're from the union" at Timmy. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 01:00:15 AM »

Not surprising at all. That's exactly the type of right-wing filth I'd expect that show to shovel out.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 06:25:36 AM »

The whole thing about the taxi driver busting up Timmy's legs because his private Handicab service was better than the taxi service was clearly a shot at unions, with Mimzy going on later about how it's all just the free market.  Especially when he sneered, "We're from the union" at Timmy. 
Yeah, I did forget about that....but that was like 25 seconds of the show.  And 100% accurate Wink  If a group has to resort to breaking the legs of people that have done nothing other than go to work (oh, and do it better than you), then that group is full of giant douchebags.  Which is also 100 accurate when it comes to violent unions. 

You don't support union violence do you?  I can understand being pro union, unions have done a lot of good, but to support violence, especially in 2014 (much more understandable in 1914) is insane to me.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »

Yeah, I did forget about that....but that was like 25 seconds of the show.  And 100% accurate Wink  If a group has to resort to breaking the legs of people that have done nothing other than go to work (oh, and do it better than you), then that group is full of giant douchebags.  Which is also 100 accurate when it comes to violent unions. 

You don't support union violence do you?  I can understand being pro union, unions have done a lot of good, but to support violence, especially in 2014 (much more understandable in 1914) is insane to me.

Ugh.  That's like when Fox runs news stories about welfare cheats who own a Cadillac.  Rare but sensationalist and fun to overblow.  No, I'm not in favor of union violence... nor is it, like you said, 1914.  I came from a union household, so it hits a nerve with me when people actually like to suggest unions are the oppressors over management/ownership in 2014. 

Yes, Matt & Trey have some libertarian leanings, and they are not nearly as bad as BRTD makes them out to be, but even if it for a quick second I'd like to see them focus their satire on someone other than the worker. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »

Yes, Matt & Trey have some libertarian leanings, and they are not nearly as bad as BRTD makes them out to be, but even if it for a quick second I'd like to see them focus their satire on someone other than the worker. 
You say that as if the majority of their satire is aimed at the worker and it's clearly not.  They enjoy making fun of celebrities and the cult of celebrity more than anything else.  Second would be fads.  Third...Canadians maybe?  I don't know where "the worker" would come in, but it's nowhere near the top.  They certainly enjoy mocking the owners more than the workers.  The hero of the episode in question, Timmy, was a worker.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »

Ugh.  That's like when Fox runs news stories about welfare cheats who own a Cadillac.  Rare but sensationalist and fun to overblow.  No, I'm not in favor of union violence... nor is it, like you said, 1914.  I came from a union household, so it hits a nerve with me when people actually like to suggest unions are the oppressors over management/ownership in 2014.  
I haven't watched the episode yet but that scene doesn't even sound like it has anything to do with unions and management. It has to do with unions going after their competition. IRL, taxi unions have actually tried to shut down/restrict companies like Uber.

Also, I love when people watch shows that are all about offending people but then get indignant when the show offends them.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »

Ugh.  That's like when Fox runs news stories about welfare cheats who own a Cadillac.  Rare but sensationalist and fun to overblow.  No, I'm not in favor of union violence... nor is it, like you said, 1914.  I came from a union household, so it hits a nerve with me when people actually like to suggest unions are the oppressors over management/ownership in 2014.  
I haven't watched the episode yet but that scene doesn't even sound like it has anything to do with unions and management. It has to do with unions going after their competition. IRL, taxi unions have actually tried to shut down/restrict companies like Uber.

Also, I love when people watch shows that are all about offending people but then get indignant when the show offends them.

Hardly.  I like South Park and watched the entire episode.  Matt & Trey put themselves and their opinions out there for reaction and to be judged.  I'm not calling for the show to be boycotted; I just disagree in situation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies