Do you support a travel ban for Western Africa countries...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:56:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support a travel ban for Western Africa countries...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: for the purpose of protecting Americans from Ebola?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Do you support a travel ban for Western Africa countries...  (Read 1204 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »

No (I/O). Interesting how Republicans aren't so small government anymore.

Well, you look dumb...  Check out your results.

I'm assuming he's talking about Republican politicians. We only have one Republican politician on this forum.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to extend to people that happen to affiliate with Republicans. Whenever I talk about "Republicans" in a negative sense I'm probably talking about Washington politicians. In this case, I'm just saying the rhetoric doesn't match the policy. This is a non-political issue that (all the sudden) got politicized by the media and pols on both sides.

Okay, fair enough.  Sorry for the unkind words.  But it is very true and important to remember that small government is not necessarily conservative and big government is not necessarily liberal.

Its OK. Of course I realize this, and we all know this, but its worth pointing out hypocrisy. Again what I'm saying is I hear and see small government for GOP advocacy everywhere, yet on this issue (and many other national security issues) its all about the authority of the government to be involved to protect itself and the weakness of not doing enough by the Obama administration if you turn on Fox News for even a few minutes.

And to clear another thing up. I'm actually not advocating for small/limited government with the statement, I'm simply criticizing the national GOP and its pundits/politicians for contradicting their own rhetoric.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »

So, everyone who opposes a travel ban is a government stooge?

Yes, by definition, the President's political appointees, and their staffs, are "government stooges." If they are not, then nobody is. If one is repeating a list of talking points prepared by government stooges, then one is being a government stooge by proxy, particularly when said talking points are ridiculous nonsense ("we can't have a travel ban because it won't work," "but then aid workers couldn't travel there," "what if their economies collapse"), and the policy which they are intended to defend evidences a psychopathic disregard for human life.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Under orders from higher up, but yes. This is also the only reason why you are arguing with me about this.

Lol, your arguments at this point are literally 1. "I am incapable of critical thinking on my own, so I and everyone else ought to believe some teevee spin doctor's list of talking points" and 2. "ur a racist!"

Guilty as charged. I propose we fire all the incompetent white people at the CDC and replace them with their much more competent black Kenyan counterparts, who have done a far better job protecting their citizens from the ebola outbreak. Black power!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »

So, everyone who opposes a travel ban is a government stooge?

Yes, by definition, the President's political appointees, and their staffs, are "government stooges." If they are not, then nobody is. If one is repeating a list of talking points prepared by government stooges, then one is being a government stooge by proxy, particularly when said talking points are ridiculous nonsense ("we can't have a travel ban because it won't work," "but then aid workers couldn't travel there," "what if their economies collapse"), and the policy which they are intended to defend evidences a psychopathic disregard for human life.

Under orders from higher up, but yes. This is also the only reason why you are arguing with me about this.

Lol, your arguments at this point are literally 1. "I am incapable of critical thinking on my own, so I and everyone else ought to believe some teevee spin doctor's list of talking points" and 2. "ur a racist!"

Guilty as charged. I propose we fire all the incompetent white people at the CDC and replace them with their much more competent black Kenyan counterparts, who have done a far better job protecting their citizens from the ebola outbreak. Black power!

1.  Is there any independent (Read Non-government) public health or infectious disease expert that agrees with you?

2.  Yeah, you sound crazy and racist.  Just saying.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 11:33:30 PM »

1.  Is there any independent (Read Non-government) public health or infectious disease expert that agrees with you?

Sure.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/101614-722188-travel-restrictions-would-stop-spread-of-deadly-ebola.htm

Although I do prefer the expertise of the Kenyan Health Ministry, and their perfect record thus far of keeping ebola out, despite being named as a "high-risk" country by the WHO.

You are incapable of engaging in an intellectual discussion.

But, perhaps we can develop your ability to do so with a couple of critical thinking exercises.

1. 9,000 people in Switzerland (equivalent to the number of cases in West Africa) come down with ebola. Do you support banning plane flights from Switzerland?

2. A genie from the future visits you, and says that in two months time there will be a 75% chance that you will be dead of ebola. But, the genie can make a change that might alter your chances of survival; he can make the Obama administration reverse its policy on a travel ban, effective immediately. Do you change the policy?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies