The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)  (Read 5533 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »

Slot: 3 (General, PPT Administered)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senator Cynic, as sponsor you have 24 hours to make your case for this bill.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »

Why should this only apply to fees? We need to do something about the insane cost of textbooks and room and board too.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »

Why should this only apply to fees? We need to do something about the insane cost of textbooks and room and board too.

This bill only applies to tuition because I simply feel it would be more likely to pass than eliminating costs of textbooks and room and board will. As far as living on campus, that's a student choice. I didn't live on campus when I went to college and as far as I know, most universities don't require them to do so. My interest is presenting a passable bill and I didn't believe I could get one by adding additional costs to an already, admittedly, expensive bill.

I wrote a similar bill when I was a member of the NE Assembly. I promised during the campaign that I would introduce a bill that would abolish tuition fees nationally.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 01:35:20 AM »

I think we've got some problems. We have a mix of public and private institutions, so what powers do we have to abolish tuition fees?

Also textbooks, and room and board aren't necessarily set by anything that we can control.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »

What in this bill would compensate for the loss of revenue to the institutions? That could impact quality significantly and decrease the percentage of accepted (into the institution) students.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »

I think we've got some problems. We have a mix of public and private institutions, so what powers do we have to abolish tuition fees?

The bill specifies that it applies to public institutions, but that's still a problem. The Senate only has power over the National University System, which was only established two years ago and probably accounts for a negligible share of college students in Atlasia.

We obviously cannot tell the regions that they must abolish tuition at every institution of higher education that they run. In at least a couple of cases, there isn't even much need to for us to do more than the regions are already doing. The Pacific and the Northeast have passed generous tuition assistance policies over the past several years, IIRC.

That doesn't mean that we can't do anything, of course. (See this and this for past examples.)

As in the NE, I wrote the bill that abolished tuition fees as I said. I'd like to see such a policy applied nationally.

Also textbooks, and room and board aren't necessarily set by anything that we can control.

The bill applies only to publicly funded and owned schools. My real desire would be simply universal access to college, but I know that would never pass. It doesn't apply to textbooks, room and board, etc.

What in this bill would compensate for the loss of revenue to the institutions? That could impact quality significantly and decrease the percentage of accepted (into the institution) students.

The institutions this bill is applied for are already public, so profit is not the primary concern. Private schools are not covered in this bill (as much as I would like it).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »

The bill specifies that it applies to public institutions, but that's still a problem. The Senate only has power over the National University System, which was only established two years ago and probably accounts for a negligible share of college students in Atlasia.

We obviously cannot tell the regions that they must abolish tuition at every institution of higher education that they run. In at least a couple of cases, there isn't even much need to for us to do more than the regions are already doing. The Pacific and the Northeast have passed generous tuition assistance policies over the past several years, IIRC.

That doesn't mean that we can't do anything, of course. (See this and this for past examples.)

As in the NE, I wrote the bill that abolished tuition fees as I said. I'd like to see such a policy applied nationally.

We simply do not have the authority to do that.

I'm not entirely sure that we should, but I'm fairly certain that, again due to the way the constitution is written, we do have that authority.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

We simply do not have the authority to do that.

I'm not entirely sure that we should, but I'm fairly certain that, again due to the way the constitution is written, we do have that authority.

In what way do we not have the authority to abolish tuition fees to publicly funded universities?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »

I worry that the consequences of this could be to further stratify the education system.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:31:16 AM »

I assume nix thinks this would be unconstitutional based on this:

But that specifically says that the rights of the senate overrule this, and one of those rights is:

Which I think clearly encompasses abolishing tuition fees.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »

What are the economic impacts on public universities by this measures, especially against private institutions?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »

I believe this is not only unconstitutional, but it's a bad idea. I encourage the Senate to reject this right away.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

I believe this is not only unconstitutional, but it's a bad idea. I encourage the Senate to reject this right away.

I am not a fan of this, although I won't venture into speculating on its constitutionality. Although by no means am I big on "regional rights", I do think something like this is best left to the regions...
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 11:22:43 AM »

I assume nix thinks this would be unconstitutional based on this:

But that specifically says that the rights of the senate overrule this, and one of those rights is:

Which I think clearly encompasses abolishing tuition fees.

That's a tendentious interpretation of the Science and Useful Arts Clause, but fair enough. I'm less worried about passing an unconstitutional bill than I am about passing one that would have devastating effects on Atlasian public education.

Well, yeah. The point I'm making, and the same point I make every time one of these borderline bills comes up is both constitutional and unconstitutional sides have logically waterproof arguments, which is a sure sign there is a problem with the constitution.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »

Putting the question if constitutionality to one side, I agree with Senator Nix.

Guaranteeing access is not the same as guaranteeing attendance. I worry about smaller public universities and the impacts on their bottom lines, which does have an impact on their ability to recruit faculty and support academic, cultural and athletic infrastructure.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »

The hell with it.

Table the bill.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »

The thing is Senator, I fully support the intent of the Bill.

We need to make sure that every student should have access to University/or equivalent based on academic merit alone.

I'd like to work with you to determine a workable path.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »

The thing is Senator, I fully support the intent of the Bill.

We need to make sure that every student should have access to University/or equivalent based on academic merit alone.

I'd like to work with you to determine a workable path.

PM me, we can work on a bill together. I'll table this one and work on something that'll pass. If this isn't going to pass, and it isn't, I'm not wasting anymore time.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »

Should we continue here or does someone else support the motion to table?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »

I'm being a bit obsessive with the rules here, but would you mind motioning to withdraw, Cynic?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 01:58:47 AM »

Fine. Motion to withdraw.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »

I would like to assume sponsorship if it's not too late to do so.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

Well, the rules do seem to favor Senators assuming sponsorships rather than just going to the vote, so Senators have 48 hours to object on Senator TNF assuming sponsorship. I'll remind the Senate that if we have an objection we will vote, and if the motion fails this shall be withdrawn from the floor.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »

I don't have any objection if Senator TNF would like to assume sponsorship, that's ok with me. I'll still vote for the bill even if I don't feel it has a hope of passing because I still believe in universal education for Atlasian students.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 01:32:43 AM »

Lumine?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies