The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:22:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)  (Read 5567 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »

Nay
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »

The amendment has enough votes to pass, senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2014, 06:57:29 PM by Senator bore »

The amendment has passed:

Aye: Cynic, Polnut, TNF, windjammer, Bore, Cranberry

Nay: JCL

Not voting: Yankee, Bacon King, Deus
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »

Aye
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sorry this has taken so long...

I know it doesn't make anything "free" but I've tried to bring together as many concerns together as possible.

I'll wait to hear from others before offering as formal amendment.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »

I'm going to declare this friendly as soon as Polnut formally offers it.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »

I propose this as an amendment.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Proposed by: Polnut

Senators have 36 hours to object to this amendment
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »

I guess I will support this.
We are not going to get full free education, that much was sure, so I'd just say we take this. It's well written, sensible, I can fully support it.

It will probably take some time, but I would start to calculate some numbers to see what much is now covered and what much we still need. As I said, that will probably take some time.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2014, 01:50:44 AM »

Where are we on the numbers on this with the amendment's schedule? Are the costs fully covered?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2014, 05:32:45 AM »

Where are we on the numbers on this with the amendment's schedule? Are the costs fully covered?

We need to start calculate all over again, since there are now completely different numbers to work with.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »

Polnut's amendment has been adopted
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »

Polnut has done a wonderful job.
So, I motion for a final job!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »

I share the question posed by Yankee regarding the costs here, I think that should be addressed before a final vote. Creating the budget will still take a few days since I've been busy with exams and I'm not really good with that type of task, but my research shows that we have been on quite the spending spree (and I say we because I am also guilty of this as a former Senator) for the past year. Cuts will have to be made, which is why I would prefer if this didn't add to the deficit.

That said, it is a truly interesting effort!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »

I'd be content to wait to see the Budget impacts and needs.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:51 AM »

I object to Polnut's Amendment. The fees should be determined by the market and not by the government.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »

If there is still room and place for a few quick calucations, here we go:

It was already postulated that we would need $62,2 billions to abolish current tuition fees and replace it with whatever system there might be. The amendment does away with the safe of approx. $20 billions we saved if we did away with student loans, so $62,2 is the number to work with.

The best data I could come up with (Census, Table 5) gives sadly no numbers on the types of courses the 15 million students currently enrolled in Atlasia's public colleges and universities. As such, best I could do is to assume that in average every one of these students would have to pay the median maximum enrollment fee of $475 per course (here not taking into account out-of-state students). According to the Columbia University (FAQ 5) students take on average five courses per semester, accounting for ten a year; in our model calculation, so ten courses a là $475 per year for the average student - $4750 dollars a year. (This is about 1000 dollars less than the average student pays currently - source)

Multiplying this now to the number of 15 million students at public institutions, this sum of revenues now adds up to $73'691'500'000, or 73,7 billions - 11,5 billions more than would be needed (so we practically get without any state fundings even more than universities would need, while students have to pay a whole thousand dollars a year less)

To conclude, if you want to believe my calculations, we would need no extra-funding for our budget for Senator Polnut's model.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2014, 02:08:21 PM »

I object to Polnut's Amendment. The fees should be determined by the market and not by the government.

Sorry, but you objected after the 36 hours were up, so the amendment has already been adopted.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »

Sorry, but you objected after the 36 hours were up, so the amendment has already been adopted.

I was on leave and thus my objection should be considered.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2014, 12:58:37 AM »

I oppose this bill since I don't think everyone should pursue post-secondary education. If higher education is universalized, a college diploma will likely take on the status of a high school diploma and become something nearly everyone is expected to have, which will mean that everyone will have to go to college, even if their could be better spent elsewhere.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

Again, I'm sorry, but that's not how the senate rules work.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »

I oppose this bill since I don't think everyone should pursue post-secondary education. If higher education is universalized, a college diploma will likely take on the status of a high school diploma and become something nearly everyone is expected to have, which will mean that everyone will have to go to college, even if their could be better spent elsewhere.

I think everyone who wants to go should be able to afford to go, but yes, not everyone is suited or wants to go to college and can better apply their talents in a trade school or some other avenue.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2014, 06:32:16 PM »

I think everyone who wants to go should be able to afford to go, but yes, not everyone is suited or wants to go to college and can better apply their talents in a trade school or some other avenue.

I'm not sure what point is being made here. This Bill does nothing but ensure people who wish to attend tertiary education to be able to do so, regardless of financial situation. This is not universalising college education, it's opening up access for those who qualify academically and wish to go.

We should be doing more, and I will be proposing a Bill shortly, to encourage and support those people interested in undertaking a trade.

Again, I'm sorry, but that's not how the senate rules work.

How can you have been in the Senate for 3 months and not know the rules by now?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

I can understand your position, but the current system does not divide because of one's "intelligence", I'm sorry for not finding a better word, but because of one's parents income. A better way to combat universalisation of post-secondary education, if such is your wish, would be to completely cancel all expenses for students and launch stricter tests or a Numerus Clausus of some sort...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies