The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:29:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Universal Education Bill (Debating)  (Read 5598 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: October 17, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »

Why should this only apply to fees? We need to do something about the insane cost of textbooks and room and board too.

This bill only applies to tuition because I simply feel it would be more likely to pass than eliminating costs of textbooks and room and board will. As far as living on campus, that's a student choice. I didn't live on campus when I went to college and as far as I know, most universities don't require them to do so. My interest is presenting a passable bill and I didn't believe I could get one by adding additional costs to an already, admittedly, expensive bill.

I wrote a similar bill when I was a member of the NE Assembly. I promised during the campaign that I would introduce a bill that would abolish tuition fees nationally.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »

I think we've got some problems. We have a mix of public and private institutions, so what powers do we have to abolish tuition fees?

The bill specifies that it applies to public institutions, but that's still a problem. The Senate only has power over the National University System, which was only established two years ago and probably accounts for a negligible share of college students in Atlasia.

We obviously cannot tell the regions that they must abolish tuition at every institution of higher education that they run. In at least a couple of cases, there isn't even much need to for us to do more than the regions are already doing. The Pacific and the Northeast have passed generous tuition assistance policies over the past several years, IIRC.

That doesn't mean that we can't do anything, of course. (See this and this for past examples.)

As in the NE, I wrote the bill that abolished tuition fees as I said. I'd like to see such a policy applied nationally.

I think we've got some problems. We have a mix of public and private institutions, so what powers do we have to abolish tuition fees?

Also textbooks, and room and board aren't necessarily set by anything that we can control.

The bill applies only to publicly funded and owned schools. My real desire would be simply universal access to college, but I know that would never pass. It doesn't apply to textbooks, room and board, etc.

What in this bill would compensate for the loss of revenue to the institutions? That could impact quality significantly and decrease the percentage of accepted (into the institution) students.

The institutions this bill is applied for are already public, so profit is not the primary concern. Private schools are not covered in this bill (as much as I would like it).
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

The bill specifies that it applies to public institutions, but that's still a problem. The Senate only has power over the National University System, which was only established two years ago and probably accounts for a negligible share of college students in Atlasia.

We obviously cannot tell the regions that they must abolish tuition at every institution of higher education that they run. In at least a couple of cases, there isn't even much need to for us to do more than the regions are already doing. The Pacific and the Northeast have passed generous tuition assistance policies over the past several years, IIRC.

That doesn't mean that we can't do anything, of course. (See this and this for past examples.)

As in the NE, I wrote the bill that abolished tuition fees as I said. I'd like to see such a policy applied nationally.

We simply do not have the authority to do that.

I'm not entirely sure that we should, but I'm fairly certain that, again due to the way the constitution is written, we do have that authority.

In what way do we not have the authority to abolish tuition fees to publicly funded universities?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »

The hell with it.

Table the bill.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »

The thing is Senator, I fully support the intent of the Bill.

We need to make sure that every student should have access to University/or equivalent based on academic merit alone.

I'd like to work with you to determine a workable path.

PM me, we can work on a bill together. I'll table this one and work on something that'll pass. If this isn't going to pass, and it isn't, I'm not wasting anymore time.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:58:47 AM »

Fine. Motion to withdraw.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »

I don't have any objection if Senator TNF would like to assume sponsorship, that's ok with me. I'll still vote for the bill even if I don't feel it has a hope of passing because I still believe in universal education for Atlasian students.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »

Second.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »

So then we just raise taxes on the rich. What's the problem?

You proposed that already, and we can't even get 10% of the sum needed from that.

Anyway, I guess I'll revoke my earlier position, and join the Senators Polnut and Yankee in their sensible opinion of finding a way to get the remaining money in somehow, and not run a deficit of it. As much as I believe free or near free universal education is imperative, we should try to keep our budget as balanced as possible, too.
So, we are probably at the point to find some other methods of funding this. I don't like it, but maybe we should raise the fees we would levy in my latest proposal by a bit? Maybe we also have a budget point from which we could transfer something to this point? I will try to come up wing a few more solutions tomorrow.

As a matter of fact, since Senator Dr Cynic is sponsor of the bill, I dare ask if I may assume co-sponsorship for this bill, for the case the Senator is sworn in as GM before we pass this act?

Senator TNF to took sponsorship, so the bill is in no danger from me becoming GM.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies