Is hating hip-hop racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is hating hip-hop racist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is hating hip-hop racist?
Yes

No

It's racist for white people to listen to hip-hop (some people on Tumblr option)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Is hating hip-hop racist?  (Read 3363 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »

Clearly. It's not just coincidence that it happens to be the one genre of music invented by black people.

Uh huh.

..what?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »

Of course it isn't, but dismissing an entire genre out of hand is pretty ignorant.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2014, 10:05:51 PM by politicus »

Clearly. It's not just coincidence that it happens to be the one genre of music invented by black people.

Uh huh.

..what?

Follow this link if in doubt:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=190031.msg4340165#msg4340165
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »

Uh huh.

..what?

I mean it's like someone who says they hate polka. Pretty clear Nazi dogwhistle.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »

Of course not. Is it racist to hate Tyler Perry movies?

For the record I've found that if a type of music is a target frequently and has a large Hatedom, it's a given that I hate it too (hip-hop, metal, country, pop and the garbage that 20RP12 likes).

You basically exclusively like a few incredibly specific types of post-punk music and you think everything else is garbage, right?  That's not racist, you just have ridiculously idiosyncratic taste in music.  You probably know why better than anyone else. 

I would just say, maybe give non-post punk music a try.  Maybe hip-hop isn't for you, but don't seem open-minded at all.  And, if you're going to compare an entire genre to a single hack film director, you make yourself look like an idiot. 

Correction: incredibly specific types of post-punk music, as well as Blink-182, which is all sorts of hilarious. But yes, "open-minded" is not exactly in BRTD's vocabulary.

It shouldn't be surprising at all considering that: 1-Blink-182 is a "incredibly specific type of post-punk music" and 2-quite popular amongst people in my scene and like me for reasons I could get into but would result in a long essay not many would be interested in. Let me just say my "top 3 Blink-182 songs" thread on a forum mostly dedicated to trading emoviolence records got well over 100 replies and almost all positive.

Also you people act like I've never heard hip-hop before and am not familiar with it. What do you think all the jocks and bros at my high school listened to? In truth in high school the main reason why my musical taste ended up not being "diverse" (well not exactly), is because I got so into those "incredibly specific types of post-punk music" and VERY deep into it I never saw much need to listen to much else. Furthermore those genres themselves can be quite diverse. Rainer Maria, Explosions in the Sky and Ampere don't sound a thing alike. This isn't a black metal vs. death metal thing. Yeah my tastes are quite niche, but I don't see that as a bad thing and certainly not much different than the suburban bros who don't listen to much else besides hip-hop.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

For the record I've found that if a type of music is a target frequently and has a large Hatedom, it's a given that I hate it too (hip-hop, metal, country, pop and the garbage that 20RP12 likes).

You basically exclusively like a few incredibly specific types of post-punk music and you think everything else is garbage, right?  That's not racist, you just have ridiculously idiosyncratic taste in music.  You probably know why better than anyone else. 

I would just say, maybe give non-post punk music a try.  Maybe hip-hop isn't for you, but don't seem open-minded at all.  And, if you're going to compare an entire genre to a single hack film director, you make yourself look like an idiot. 

Correction: incredibly specific types of post-punk music, as well as Blink-182, which is all sorts of hilarious. But yes, "open-minded" is not exactly in BRTD's vocabulary.

It shouldn't be surprising at all considering that: 1-Blink-182 is a "incredibly specific type of post-punk music" and 2-quite popular amongst people in my scene and like me for reasons I could get into but would result in a long essay not many would be interested in. Let me just say my "top 3 Blink-182 songs" thread on a forum mostly dedicated to trading emoviolence records got well over 100 replies and almost all positive.

Also you people act like I've never heard hip-hop before and am not familiar with it. What do you think all the jocks and bros at my high school listened to? In truth in high school the main reason why my musical taste ended up not being "diverse" (well not exactly), is because I got so into those "incredibly specific types of post-punk music" and VERY deep into it I never saw much need to listen to much else. Furthermore those genres themselves can be quite diverse. Rainer Maria, Explosions in the Sky and Ampere don't sound a thing alike. This isn't a black metal vs. death metal thing. Yeah my tastes are quite niche, but I don't see that as a bad thing and certainly not much different than the suburban bros who don't listen to much else besides hip-hop.

Agreed.  I get ripped on for being "only into rock and guitars" and "old music" by my no-nothing friends.  I implore you to listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes and The Ramones' debut and tell me they have anything to do with each other, despite both being in the "rock" genre.  I listened to both of those in the same day earlier this week.  Meanwhile, Top 40 radio, while you can dissect them into "country" and "rap" and "pop" and whatever, are pretty much all 3-4 minute verse-chorus-bridge-chorus retreads based around 1 or 2 chord progressions that happen to be ear-pleasing.  No wonder, because while modern pop "artists" might present some source material, they are all produced into oblivion by the corporate executive appointed cronies. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 09:40:06 PM »

Might I also point out, what on Earth do you think I heard at college keg parties? Sure I did go to some "indie" ones but starting out it was typical keg parties with typical keg party music, meaning having to put up with this about a million times.

Although actually I don't mind it when drunk. That's basically the only time I like hip-hop music. In fact I use it as a measure of too drunk to drive, if hip-hop is playing and I like it, then yep, drunk.

Sober: That song is some of the most idiotic and disgusting trash ever recorded.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »

is this ironic or not I honestly can't tell
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »

It's pretty obviously sarcasm.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »

Might I also point out, what on Earth do you think I heard at college keg parties? Sure I did go to some "indie" ones but starting out it was typical keg parties with typical keg party music, meaning having to put up with this about a million times.

Although actually I don't mind it when drunk. That's basically the only time I like hip-hop music. In fact I use it as a measure of too drunk to drive, if hip-hop is playing and I like it, then yep, drunk.

Sober: That song is some of the most idiotic and disgusting trash ever recorded.

Oh yeah, the definitive hip-hop education, listening to Ludacris on repeat at an 18 year olds' frat party.   
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »

Very unusual for your sarcasm detector to be defunct.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 04:23:03 AM »

Very unusual for your sarcasm detector to be defunct.

I don't know shua well enough to have gleaned much of any indication that it was sarcastic. Truly a stupid thing to say with a straight face, but I can't see faces or hear inflections here. He should have used that abominable question/exclamation mark.

His follow up polka/Nazi reply did the trick though.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »

I like Hip Hop much better than the country music everyone likes down here.  I especially like the '90s Hip Hop.  Often times people are surprised that I like this kind of music.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »

Oh yeah, the definitive hip-hop education, listening to Ludacris on repeat at an 18 year olds' frat party.   

I didn't go to frat parties. Remember I am staunchly anti-frat.

But point is, I went to high school around the turn of the century, of course I've heard plenty of hip-hop.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »

>Comparing hiphop to Tyler Perry
>Asks if racist

Out
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »

Move Bitch is great you pleb.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

Ludacris has a lot of great songs and about 500% more really boring nonsense, but that's not a conversation for today.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »

Of course not.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2014, 11:40:09 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »

Agreed.  I get ripped on for being "only into rock and guitars" and "old music" by my no-nothing friends.  I implore you to listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes and The Ramones' debut and tell me they have anything to do with each other, despite both being in the "rock" genre.  I listened to both of those in the same day earlier this week.  Meanwhile, Top 40 radio, while you can dissect them into "country" and "rap" and "pop" and whatever, are pretty much all 3-4 minute verse-chorus-bridge-chorus retreads based around 1 or 2 chord progressions that happen to be ear-pleasing.  No wonder, because while modern pop "artists" might present some source material, they are all produced into oblivion by the corporate executive appointed cronies. 

Modern pop is less "corporate" than it has been in a long time, possibly throughout the whole of "pop's" existence.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies