Is hating hip-hop racist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:03:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is hating hip-hop racist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is hating hip-hop racist?
Yes

No

It's racist for white people to listen to hip-hop (some people on Tumblr option)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Is hating hip-hop racist?  (Read 3403 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 17, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »

No!  I love black people! 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

Of course not. Is it racist to hate Tyler Perry movies?

For the record I've found that if a type of music is a target frequently and has a large Hatedom, it's a given that I hate it too (hip-hop, metal, country, pop and the garbage that 20RP12 likes).

You basically exclusively like a few incredibly specific types of post-punk music and you think everything else is garbage, right?  That's not racist, you just have ridiculously idiosyncratic taste in music.  You probably know why better than anyone else. 

I would just say, maybe give non-post punk music a try.  Maybe hip-hop isn't for you, but don't seem open-minded at all.  And, if you're going to compare an entire genre to a single hack film director, you make yourself look like an idiot. 

Correction: incredibly specific types of post-punk music, as well as Blink-182, which is all sorts of hilarious. But yes, "open-minded" is not exactly in BRTD's vocabulary.

It shouldn't be surprising at all considering that: 1-Blink-182 is a "incredibly specific type of post-punk music" and 2-quite popular amongst people in my scene and like me for reasons I could get into but would result in a long essay not many would be interested in. Let me just say my "top 3 Blink-182 songs" thread on a forum mostly dedicated to trading emoviolence records got well over 100 replies and almost all positive.

Also you people act like I've never heard hip-hop before and am not familiar with it. What do you think all the jocks and bros at my high school listened to? In truth in high school the main reason why my musical taste ended up not being "diverse" (well not exactly), is because I got so into those "incredibly specific types of post-punk music" and VERY deep into it I never saw much need to listen to much else. Furthermore those genres themselves can be quite diverse. Rainer Maria, Explosions in the Sky and Ampere don't sound a thing alike. This isn't a black metal vs. death metal thing. Yeah my tastes are quite niche, but I don't see that as a bad thing and certainly not much different than the suburban bros who don't listen to much else besides hip-hop.

Agreed.  I get ripped on for being "only into rock and guitars" and "old music" by my no-nothing friends.  I implore you to listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes and The Ramones' debut and tell me they have anything to do with each other, despite both being in the "rock" genre.  I listened to both of those in the same day earlier this week.  Meanwhile, Top 40 radio, while you can dissect them into "country" and "rap" and "pop" and whatever, are pretty much all 3-4 minute verse-chorus-bridge-chorus retreads based around 1 or 2 chord progressions that happen to be ear-pleasing.  No wonder, because while modern pop "artists" might present some source material, they are all produced into oblivion by the corporate executive appointed cronies. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies