Is hating hip-hop racist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is hating hip-hop racist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is hating hip-hop racist?
Yes

No

It's racist for white people to listen to hip-hop (some people on Tumblr option)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Is hating hip-hop racist?  (Read 3409 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:19 PM »

There are racist reasons for disliking hip-hop but disliking hip-hop is not inherently racist.

Yeah, basically this.

I don't really listen to hip-hop, but my lack of taste for that genre is a source of mild embarrassment rather than pride.  I'm sure there's a lot of great art being produced there that I'm missing out on, but the world of arts and culture is just too big to get everything.  At some point you just need to prioritize your favorite genres, and that shouldn't necessarily be taken as a slam against other forms.

Of course not. Is it racist to hate Tyler Perry movies?

For the record I've found that if a type of music is a target frequently and has a large Hatedom, it's a given that I hate it too (hip-hop, metal, country, pop and the garbage that 20RP12 likes).

You basically exclusively like a few incredibly specific types of post-punk music and you think everything else is garbage, right?  That's not racist, you just have ridiculously idiosyncratic taste in music.  You probably know why better than anyone else. 

I would just say, maybe give non-post punk music a try.  Maybe hip-hop isn't for you, but don't seem open-minded at all.  And, if you're going to compare an entire genre to a single hack film director, you make yourself look like an idiot. 

Correction: incredibly specific types of post-punk music, as well as Blink-182, which is all sorts of hilarious. But yes, "open-minded" is not exactly in BRTD's vocabulary.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »

Clearly. It's not just coincidence that it happens to be the one genre of music invented by black people.

is this ironic or not I honestly can't tell

It's pretty obviously sarcasm.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies