Arizona gay marriage ban struck down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:21:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arizona gay marriage ban struck down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Arizona gay marriage ban struck down  (Read 3296 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »

Well that's not very nice. You don't agree with them so they have mental problems? Not very tolerant. They didn't define marriage, Jesus did.

2006 banned civil unions. 2008 did not. 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »

I feel scared for you.

'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31

Why don't you hug a gay sometime?

I am gay. I don't believe in redefining marriage. The bible is clear. I do not want this. Real Arizona does not want this.

The old testament is clear. The laws of the old testament were also thrown out with the new testament. Arizona has also shown in opinion polls and in 1/2 of marriage elections that they're against straight only marriage.

Maybe you need to hug yourself. It's okay.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »

Well that's not very nice. You don't agree with them so they have mental problems? Not very tolerant. They didn't define marriage, Jesus did.

Also Jesus never said gays can't be married. Ever.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »

When you exclude pending appeals (that will inevitably fail), areas where the overturn has occurred but is pending (FL & WY), and states in districts where the bans have been ruled unconstitutional but the states have not yet been forced to recognize it (SC, KS, MT), there are only 10 states left to fall, which comprise barely 15% of the US population.

Imagine that. Roll Eyes

Damn, MO, hurry up so we can have contiguous coast-to-coast SSM coverage!

Since Ohio is the biggest state with no appeal yet, it's good to explain why.

The Ohio court, seeing than the Michigan case was already in front of the circuit court, decided to wait the verdict of the circuit court before doing anything else about it.
Chance92
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 01:48:54 AM »

No God would condone your bigotry.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 01:52:50 AM »

Well shoot. In that case I don't even know who God appeals this decision to next. Super God?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 02:11:16 AM »

Well that's not very nice. You don't agree with half the state, so they're not real people? Not very tolerant. They didn't nullify their own existence, you did.

2006 rejected the law. 2008 did not. Based on your precedent of legitimizing the first decision made in each state on this issue, it should certainly stand as the correct one by your own logic.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 03:07:16 AM »

Adam Griffin is GA gonna be the last state to legalize gay marriage or will we maybe at least beat Mississippi this time
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 03:36:49 AM »

Sorry BK but I think we'll see a few states like MA and CA legalize it a second time (just to be sure) before GA or MS
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2014, 10:49:25 AM by Thomas from NJ »

I feel scared for you.

'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31

Why don't you hug a gay sometime?

You're misinterpreting that verse, if you are indeed implying what I think you are implying (i.e. that to condemn homosexuality is being hateful towards homosexuals). Loving your neighbors doesn't entail coddling them in their sins, and thus helping to lead them down a path of destruction. The loving thing to do is to tell them the hard truth and try to get them on the right track.

''Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.'' - Leviticus 19:17
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »

Adam Griffin is GA gonna be the last state to legalize gay marriage or will we maybe at least beat Mississippi this time

I really think the 5th CCoA stragglers will be the last, but weirder things have happened.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »

I really think the 5th CCoA stragglers will be the last, but weirder things have happened.

Like Utah and Arkansas temporary joining the club.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »

It could be the Eighth as well. South Dakota is defending its ban in federal district court and it's relying on Citizens for Equal Protection v. Bruning, where the Eighth Circuit in 2006 upheld Nebraska's ban on gay marriage.

If it manages to make a ruling before any other circuit ruling to the contrary, I'd expect the Eleventh Circuit to rule for marriage equality (which would cover FL, GA, and AL). As I've already said before, I'm optimistic for a favourable ruling from the Sixth Circuit based on recent developments (leading to marriage equality in MI, OH, KY, and TN). If it does go the other way though, I'd expect SCOTUS to take it up this term. That ruling could literally be any day now.

The last states to legalize gay marriage will either be the Fifth (TX, LA, MS) or Eighth Circuit (ND, SD, NE, MO, AR) or all at the same time (due to SCOTUS).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »

When you exclude pending appeals (that will inevitably fail), areas where the overturn has occurred but is pending (FL & WY), and states in districts where the bans have been ruled unconstitutional but the states have not yet been forced to recognize it (SC, KS, MT), there are only 10 states left to fall, which comprise barely 15% of the US population.

Imagine that. Roll Eyes

Ohio is in the 8th Judicial district, so it goes with Kentucky, Michigan, and Tennessee.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 03:47:33 AM »

12 states we've picked up in 2 weeks, and Wyoming was the one that made me cry.
Smiley

I think West Virginia was the most interesting. One of the most anti-gay marriage states in the country, and yet there actually wasn't a direct court ruling. The Attorney General decided it would be pointless to defend their ban any more, and they didn't even bother waiting for a court ruling before having gay marriage. It's worth nothing that it was one of the few states remaining states without gay marriage that had a statute rather than constitutional ban. In fact, I think Wyoming was the other only other one.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

Imagine that. Roll Eyes

When did Florida happen?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies