PPP-IA: Braley +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:21:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  PPP-IA: Braley +1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: PPP-IA: Braley +1  (Read 8684 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »

Stupendous news! An extremist nutjob like Ernst has no business being a US Senator.

Is it possible that Braley is improving because of early voting? In other words, Dems are getting a lot of people out to vote who would normally be shut out of the LV screen, but you can't say someone who already voted isn't a likely voter.

You really believe the above?

Yes?

The question mark appended to the "yes" meaning that you are unsure if you really believe what you said?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »

Stupendous news! An extremist nutjob like Ernst has no business being a US Senator.

Is it possible that Braley is improving because of early voting? In other words, Dems are getting a lot of people out to vote who would normally be shut out of the LV screen, but you can't say someone who already voted isn't a likely voter.

Yes?

The question mark appended to the "yes" meaning that you are unsure if you really believe what you said?

The question mark was because your question was fairly odd, considering any rational person knows that Joni Ernst is an extremist nutjob.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »

Ernst's position on Agenda 21 certainly qualifies as an extremist position. Not to mention, she called the shooting at UCSB as an accident, which was just plain crazy.

My guess is that I would take exception to a fair amount of Agenda 21 myself.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »

Yes?

The question mark was because your question was fairly odd, considering any rational person knows that Joni Ernst is an extremist nutjob.

IC. I guess that I am just irrational then. Thanks.
Ryan in Iowa
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »

The IA absentee request trend is not really encouraging though.

The Dem-lead is down to 2.7%, while the final margin in 2010 was D+5.7% ...

The GOP has taken a completely different stance on early voting this year (to their credit), so there is no way the dems will finish with an outsized lead. However, the GOP they are targeting Republicans, which are highly likely to vote anyways on election day.

The Dems made a huge effort to target casual dems/independents early, and it may be the difference at the end.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »

Yes?

Perhaps. Unless you think that someone who thinks Obama is a dictator that should be impeached, peddles Agenda 21 conspiracy theories, supports Personhood which failed even in Mississippi, thinks the EPA should be abolished, thinks Iraq had WMDs, etc. is not an extremist. She's basically a more charismatic version of Sharron Angle. I know the Republicans have gone far right recently, but even by that standard she's still way out of the mainstream.
Ryan in Iowa
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »

It probably is helping , but it depends on the poll. Early voting definitely helped Braley on the Selzer poll, which used too tough of a likely voter model 2 months away from the election.

Honestly, the biggest problem from Ernst is that as the light shines on her more, her views for Iowa are problematic at getting to 50+%.

She would not be in this race if it wasn't for Braley's early mistakes, however, to his credit he has preformed well in the debates. The problem with that is very few watch the debates.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »

My bet was always that IA's light blue tint would assert itself, so can't say I'm surprised.

It's only light blue in Presidential elections, but I guess that's all this board ever uses when saying "red state" or "blue state."  Iowa has a Republican governor, Republican senate, Republican house, a Republican Senator (soon to be two, possibly) and their House delegation is every divided.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

My bet was always that IA's light blue tint would assert itself, so can't say I'm surprised.

It's only light blue in Presidential elections, but I guess that's all this board ever uses when saying "red state" or "blue state."  Iowa has a Republican governor, Republican senate, Republican house, a Republican Senator (soon to be two, possibly) and their House delegation is every divided.

I'm pretty sure the Democrats control the Iowa State Senate, plus we've probably got a small edge in the race for Latham's house seat and Braley could still win this race (despite his best efforts Tongue ).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »

Well good, its what we confirmed all along, its a toss-up.

BTW: This thread was created 5 hours ago and it already has 3 pages! Wow
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »

Look at the Dems slobber over an internal. It would be precious if it wasn't so very sad.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »

The numbers are not good for Ernst. In other polls, she went from 6% leads to just 2%, so that indicates that Braley is closing.

In reality, Ernst went from -4 to tied in the Loras poll, tied to +2 in the marist poll, and tied to +4 in the Suffolk poll.

Someone's closing all right.

Wrong as usual. There were at least two polls that showed Ernst up six, but that lead collapsed when both pollsters polled again (DMR and Quinnipiac). Further more, Ernst is hitting a ceiling of 47-48, which is about what she will get on election day.

Perhaps that earlier Selzer poll and Quinnipiac were outliers, because I can't imagine things have improved this quickly for Bruce Braley.

Don't let basic statistics get in the way of the narrative!

Roll Eyes

What is your point? Go sit down, please.

The idea that a company that previously had a poll deviating from the consensus by several points is now posting numbers consistent with other pollsters is not evidence of "momentum" for Braley; more likely it is attributable to random chance. As I stated earlier, the only definitive evidence we have so far of a Braley comeback is a partisan poll from PPP, and until other polls start to show similar movement away from the consensus of a slight Ernst lead, PPP's result should not be taken at face value.

You're right, PPP is lying and faking polls for Braley. As always, you people are 100% right!

Welcome to the ignore list.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »

The numbers are not good for Ernst. In other polls, she went from 6% leads to just 2%, so that indicates that Braley is closing.

In reality, Ernst went from -4 to tied in the Loras poll, tied to +2 in the marist poll, and tied to +4 in the Suffolk poll.

Someone's closing all right.

Wrong as usual. There were at least two polls that showed Ernst up six, but that lead collapsed when both pollsters polled again (DMR and Quinnipiac). Further more, Ernst is hitting a ceiling of 47-48, which is about what she will get on election day.

Perhaps that earlier Selzer poll and Quinnipiac were outliers, because I can't imagine things have improved this quickly for Bruce Braley.

Don't let basic statistics get in the way of the narrative!

Roll Eyes

What is your point? Go sit down, please.

The idea that a company that previously had a poll deviating from the consensus by several points is now posting numbers consistent with other pollsters is not evidence of "momentum" for Braley; more likely it is attributable to random chance. As I stated earlier, the only definitive evidence we have so far of a Braley comeback is a partisan poll from PPP, and until other polls start to show similar movement away from the consensus of a slight Ernst lead, PPP's result should not be taken at face value.

You're right, PPP is lying and faking polls for Braley. As always, you people are 100% right!

Welcome to the ignore list.

Thank you, I was sick of you replying to my posts. Don't let the door hit you.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

Well good, its what we confirmed all along, its a toss-up.

BTW: This thread was created 5 hours ago and it already has 3 pages! Wow

Don't worry, it's mostly useless posts!
Ryan in Iowa
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »

It's only light blue in Presidential elections, but I guess that's all this board ever uses when saying "red state" or "blue state."  Iowa has a Republican governor, Republican senate, Republican house, a Republican Senator (soon to be two, possibly) and their House delegation is every divided.

This is actually incorrect.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

Perhaps. Unless you think that someone who thinks Iraq had WMDs, etc. is not an extremist.

cough

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/10/no-theres-still-no-evidence-there-was-active-wmd-program-iraq

It's not a revelation that Iraq had chemical weapons in the 1980s.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »

Guys, when you conduct 10 polls of a race where one candidate leads by 1-3 points, you're bound to get 1 or 2 that show the other candidate with a narrow lead. This is totally consistent with what we know, and Ernst is still on track to win.

Agreed. A small Ernst win is within the margin of error of this poll as well.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »

Indeed. Ernst is of the mind that the weapons were there, but Iraq moved them before the invasion.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »

ITT: people who don't understand MoE.

The point of a polling average is to reduce the standard error, as a polling average effectively increases the sample size. If we were to treat the polls taken in October by PPP, Suffolk, Quinnipiac, Selzer, Loras, and Marist as one large poll, that would have 4,559 respondents (which results in a margin of error of 1.45%), with Ernst leading by roughly 1.3%. While that is still within the margin of error, and thus not enough to definitively say Ernst is ahead, the margin of error only refers to a 95% confidence interval. Thus, I do not think it is unfair to say that Ernst probably has a lead, unless there is reason to believe in a systematic bias in every Iowa poll of the past two weeks.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

Still a long 18 days to go and just one poll. That said, there really isn't anything about this sample that should bring questions.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »

What is funny is Republicans running around screeching that this means nothing. It's not the breakthrough that the Dems seem to be saying, but it's still PPP and it does have to be taken seriously.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »

Yes?

Perhaps. Unless you think that someone who thinks Obama is a dictator that should be impeached, peddles Agenda 21 conspiracy theories, supports Personhood which failed even in Mississippi, thinks the EPA should be abolished, thinks Iraq had WMDs, etc. is not an extremist. She's basically a more charismatic version of Sharron Angle. I know the Republicans have gone far right recently, but even by that standard she's still way out of the mainstream.

Seriously Torie. I may've been a godless Democrat not THAT long ago, but how is she materially different than, say, Michelle Bachmann? If Ernst isn't extreme, then.....Huh
Landon1993
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -4.00

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »

Both candidates are terrible, so why would we be surprised that this is so close? Honestly, my heart goes out to the voters of Iowa for the pain they will feel as they eye the ballot on election day.

Lets see, we have....

Idiot Number 1- The extreme lunatic.
Idiot Number 2- The gaffe prone snob whom insulted the state by going after one of its most renown industries.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »

What is funny is Republicans running around screeching that this means nothing. It's not the breakthrough that the Dems seem to be saying, but it's still PPP and it does have to be taken seriously.

It is rather odd considering the fact that Selzer (widely considered the best in Iowa) shows Ernst up 1 and Quinnipiac shows her up 2. It's not like this is some kind of massive departure from the consensus, unless you really thought she was up 9 like MageLOLan said.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies