So what exactly did Udall do that made Colorado voters mad at him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:38:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So what exactly did Udall do that made Colorado voters mad at him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So what exactly did Udall do that made Colorado voters mad at him?  (Read 1725 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »

Based on the last few weeks of polling, this is Gardner's race to lose. I, however, am doubtful because the pollsters are not reaching Hispanic voters who will vote Udall. I do, however, struggle to understand why Udall apparently lost control of this race and the narrative. Colorado as a whole is trending blue. Was it something to do with gun control?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »

Maybe read up on the race?

It was a combination of factors. Gardner ran a terrific campaign, changing his mind on abortion, embracing immigration reform, and coming off as a moderate, compassionate Republican. His ads hit the right notes and the "Nice Guy" ad not only diffused Udall's experience, but set a trap for Democrats that they fell for in terms of over-reaction.

Combine that with consistent Udall debate derps ("I'm the last person Obama wants to see", "Mark Uterus", "Senator Gardner") and his cringe-worthy one-note abortion campaign, and we get a very real potential for a Gardner win.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »

He emphasized social issues almost to the point of running a one-issue campaign.

His latest ad is about the NSA and is really good. I wish he made that a bigger issue.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »

He allowed Gardner to define his Senate record, and Udall didn't fight enough. There is still time.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »

Based on the last few weeks of polling, this is Gardner's race to lose. I, however, am doubtful because the pollsters are not reaching Hispanic voters who will vote Udall. I do, however, struggle to understand why Udall apparently lost control of this race and the narrative. Colorado as a whole is trending blue. Was it something to do with gun control?

It probably has more to do with the implosion of the Democratic brand in Colorado than anything Gardner did. National issues play a part in that, but especially the gun issue has dramatically weakened the Democratic Party here. That was a catastrophic political misjudgment.

And, yes, Udall's bizarre abortion campaign misread what happened in 2010 and tried to win an election on an issue where Coloradans are actually more conservative than Udall.  It was a repulsive, fanatical campaign and it is wonderful that it has been such a failure.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »

Gardner faking being a big moderate is what has allowed him to lead in this race. He's running around claiming to be pro-choice and pro-life at the same time, it seems and people are buying it. With that said, Udall will still win by two to four points, because of good ground work.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »

Voting with obama 99% of the time was a poor choice by udall.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »

That wasn't really Udall's problem though. He could've gotten away with 155% if he ran a good campaign.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 03:14:01 AM »

That wasn't really Udall's problem though.
It may have hurt, as it destroys one of the two reasons he's been telling CO to vote for him again.

When Udall's not talking about abortion, he's telling CO that he's been an "independent senator" focused on representing CO. Meanwhile, he's off voting for whatever Obama (who, btw, is quite unpopular in CO these days) wants, regardless of CO's opinion.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »

There is a Republican wave this year and Colorado is not immune to it.  That doesn't mean Udall will lose, it just means that he will have to fight tooth-and-nail to keep his seat.
Princess Nyan Cat
nyancat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: 4.35

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »

Colorado is a very evenly divided state. Any statewide election there is likely to be a shootout.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »

I'm still picking Udall/Hickenlooper to pull both races out. The CO GOP has proven to find ways to lose races before and until they can win one at the top of the ticket, I assume they'll keep losing.  I don't know that I'd talk too much about the GOP wave this year either because that was clearly the case in 2010 and the CO GOP blew it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies