Rank Each State on the Spectrum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:47:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rank Each State on the Spectrum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rank Each State on the Spectrum  (Read 3052 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »

This is something that has been bugging me. On The Issues could really benefit from ranking each state on their laws and such, and putting it on their spectrum. So why can't we? Use their classifications.

AL- Hardcore Conservative
AK- Libertarian Leaning Conservative
AZ- Moderate Conservative
AR- Hardcore Conservative
CA- Hardcore Liberal
CO- Centrist Libertarian
CT- Populist Leaning Liberal
DE- Libertarian Leaning Liberal
FL- Conservative Tilting Centrist
GA- Moderate Conservative
HI- Hardcore Liberal
IA- Centrist
ID- Hardcore Conservative
IL- Hardcore Liberal
IN- Moderate Populist Conservative
KS- Hardcore Conservative
KY- Moderate Conservative I guess
LA- Populist Leaning Conservative
ME- Libertarian Leaning Liberal
MD- Populist Leaning Liberal
MA- Hardcore Liberal
MI- Centrist Liberal
MN- Moderate Liberal
MS- Hardcore Conservative
MO- Centrist Conservative
MT- Libertarian Leaning Centrist Conservative
NE- Hardcore Conservative
NV- Centrist Libertarian Liberal
NH- Liberal Leaning Libertarian
NJ- Moderate Populist Liberal
NM- Moderate Liberal
NY- Hardcore Liberal
NC- Moderate Conservative
ND- Hardcore Conservative
OH- Centrist
OK- Hardcore Conservative
OR- Moderate Populist Liberal
PA- Centrist
RI- Moderate Liberal
SC- Hardcore Conservative
SD- Hardcore Conservative
TN- Moderate Conservative
TX- Hardcore Conservative
UT- Hardcore Conservative
VT- Libertarian Leaning Liberal
VA- Centrist
WA- Libertarian Leaning Liberal
WV- Populist Leaning Conservative
WI- Liberal Leaning Centrist (could change)
WY- Hardcore Conservative
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »

I beg to differ with Hawaii... they're hardcore Democrat, but not hardcore Liberal.

The State Democratic Party is one of the more conservative ones in the country (Mike Gabbard, Will Espero, Donna Mercado Kim, Ed Case, Tulsi Gabbard) etc.

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »

I beg to differ with Hawaii... they're hardcore Democrat, but not hardcore Liberal.

The State Democratic Party is one of the more conservative ones in the country (Mike Gabbard, Will Espero, Donna Mercado Kim, Ed Case, Tulsi Gabbard) etc.

Only called them liberal because OTI doesn't have specific party labels
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2014, 03:03:04 PM by pbrower2a »

Based on the assessment of FreedomHawk :

I am not going to distinguish "populist" states from others. Populism as a rule is cyclical, and very weak now (unless one wishes to consider the Tea Party Movement "populist". Most Southern states have latent populism, which explains why Jimmy Carter was able to defeat Gerald Ford with a Democratic Party much more liberal in voting than most of the North and West. To explain how the cycle works, Al Gore and Bill Clinton are from two of the states that you consider 'hardcore conservative. West Virginia used to be very left-wing on economics. The pendulum could swing in those states in the next twenty years.

"Centrist" is white.

Libertarian is more persistent, and it is anti-populist. The paler green is for the more liberal of libertarian states, medium green is for the centrist libertarian states, and dark green is for the conservative libertarian states.

Because blue is associated (Atlas colors) with Republicans and red is associated (Atlas colors) with Democrats, those colors are in use and I associate intensity of liberalism or conservatism with the intensity of hue.

I have made guesses on the three districts of Nebraska. DC is in a class of its own, and NE-03 is the most-decidely right-wing unit of electoral votes in America.

We shall soon change this map based on 2014 elections.  
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »

CA- Hardcore Liberal
HI- Hardcore Liberal
MN- Moderate Liberal
RI- Moderate Liberal

These are the only ones I have gripes with out of your original post. California isn't Hardcore Liberal, but is more Hardcore Democrat. There's enough of a Conservative influence, along with the fact that they voted against prop 8, to take away that "Hardcore Liberal" rating.

Georgia I would say is a bit more safe in their Conservatism than "Moderate" would imply. I'd go with "Solid Conservative" instead.

Hawaii, as Vega said, is more Hardcore Democrat.

Idaho is definitely very Libertarian, so I'd say Libertarian-leaning Conservative.

Minnesota, like Georgia, is more set in their ideology than "Moderate" implies. I'd go with "Solid Liberal" instead.

Nebraska isn't "Hardcore" in their Conservatism, because there's definitely a Populist influence. I'd say Populist-leaning Conservative.

Rhode Island is definitely Hardcore Liberal.

Vermont is hardly Libertarian at all. They're definitely Hardcore Liberal.

Washington isn't very Libertarian, either. Hardcore Democrat would fit them better.

Wisconsin, as you said, could change...but for right now I like just straight Centrist.

Wyoming is definitely a lot more Libertarian than you give them credit for. Libertarian-leaning Conservative.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »

This reminds me of what some people here have said about Rhode Island. Apparently, there is a fair amount of socially conservative Democrats in their state legislature.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

This reminds me of what some people here have said about Rhode Island. Apparently, there is a fair amount of socially conservative Democrats in their state legislature.

Yeah, Rhode Island apparently is much of the same.

Hawaii has alot of Republicans who say "f-it" and become Democrats.... but their views don't change. Gil Riviere (the guy who is running for Clayton Hee's open seat) is an example of that.

Let's not get started on the Gabbard family.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »

If Louisiana is Populist leaning conservative, then Arkansas should be as well.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »

CA- Hardcore Liberal
HI- Hardcore Liberal
MN- Moderate Liberal
RI- Moderate Liberal

These are the only ones I have gripes with out of your original post. California isn't Hardcore Liberal, but is more Hardcore Democrat. There's enough of a Conservative influence, along with the fact that they voted against prop 8, to take away that "Hardcore Liberal" rating.

Georgia I would say is a bit more safe in their Conservatism than "Moderate" would imply. I'd go with "Solid Conservative" instead.

Idaho is definitely very Libertarian, so I'd say Libertarian-leaning Conservative.

Minnesota, like Georgia, is more set in their ideology than "Moderate" implies. I'd go with "Solid Liberal" instead.

Nebraska isn't "Hardcore" in their Conservatism, because there's definitely a Populist influence. I'd say Populist-leaning Conservative.

Washington isn't very Libertarian, either. Hardcore Democrat would fit them better.

Wisconsin, as you said, could change...but for right now I like just straight Centrist.

Wyoming is definitely a lot more Libertarian than you give them credit for. Libertarian-leaning Conservative.

All fair enough I guess
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »

Spectrum? The Autistic Spectrum?

Hmmm... not too sure although I've long felt that Maryland just looks awkward; certainly not a jock anyway.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »

CA- Hardcore Liberal
HI- Hardcore Liberal
MN- Moderate Liberal
RI- Moderate Liberal

All fair enough I guess

Vermont is more left-libertarian in my view. Combine Texas-like rugged individualists, extreme civil libertarians, hunters, and a lot of far-leftists, and you get Vermont. I'd say it's hardly liberal in the same way that Massachusetts or D.C. is. Vermont and New Hampshire are very much alike, except that Vermont is a lot further left on economic matters. But no way in hell is Vermont identical to some East Coast urban center, politically or otherwise.
GaussLaw
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »

Hmmm... not too sure although I've long felt that Maryland just looks awkward; certainly not a jock anyway.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the thread topic.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »

How on earth is Connecticut "Populist Leaning Liberal"?

Isn't it the richest state in the Union?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

There's no "Hardcore Democrat" category. The rankings are by ideology, not party.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »

The most resentful, class conscious people in America today are the well educated, urban and suburban  professionals. Between their student loans and the sky high housing costs of their popular neighborhoods, they're barely getting by on their $100k/year and many are informed enough to know that the uber-rich really are screwing everybody else sideways. The less well to do people are more frequently true believers in the American Way. It's a funny world we live in.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »

The most resentful, class conscious people in America today are the well educated, urban and suburban  professionals. Between their student loans and the sky high housing costs of their popular neighborhoods, they're barely getting by on their $100k/year and many are informed enough to know that the uber-rich really are screwing everybody else sideways. The less well to do people are more frequently true believers in the American Way. It's a funny world we live in.

You just perfectly described why True Leftism is a joke ideology. Sorry guys, but the poor and working class right wingers don't WANT your convoluted Marxist theories (no, not even dialectical materialism).
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »

There's no "Hardcore Democrat" category. The rankings are by ideology, not party.

This
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 11:38:48 PM »

Here are some of my problems with the characterizations of states (aside from the label "populist". We have states with very different politics in the same category, and not only as style. Not judging close races, I see Ohio and Pennsylvania in the same category. Pennsylvania is on the fringe of being a swing state. It could be the tipping-point state in 2016, but that has yet to happen. Ohio is nearly a tipping state now, and was the tipping-point state in 2004.

But -- Pennsylvania has not voted for a Republican nominee for President since 1988. Ohio has gone with the winner every time. In the gubernatorial race of 2014, Pennsylvania is sure to oust its Republican governor, and Ohio is likely to re-elect its Republican governor by a landslide.

States swing rapidly after politicians overreach without consolidating power to the extent that they cause the losing Party to give up. Colorado and Kansas look like opposite counterparts; Colorado elected Democrats much to the left of the center, and Kansas elected Republicans so far to the right that they offended many Republicans.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 05:10:54 AM »

Utah is clearly the most autistic.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I take it you're not from RI.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »

Elections in RI are virtually always won by the candidate with the fewest degrees of separation from organized crime.

(Try it; it actually works).
GaussLaw
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »

You just perfectly described why True Leftism is a joke ideology. Sorry guys, but the poor and working class right wingers don't WANT your convoluted Marxist theories (no, not even dialectical materialism).

But, but, if we only showed these long Wikipedia articles to us Bible-thumping folk, we'd surely read them and change our minds. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »

But, but, if we only showed these long Wikipedia articles to us Bible-thumping folk, we'd surely read them and change our minds. Tongue

LOL. After one hour of reading about dialectical materialism, you'd take up arms against the bourgeoisie in an insant.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »

If you're ranking states on the political spectrum, you really shouldn't include Libertarian and Populist as options. A state being perceived as Libertarian is almost always to the mixture of local ideologies rather than a majority of voters feeling 'libertarian' on the issues.

Somehow I feel like Michigan probably would be the autistic state, no clue why.

Colorado would be the jock. It's so boxy!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

LOL. After one hour of reading about dialectical materialism, you'd take up arms against the bourgeoisie in an insant.

I'm suddenly reminded of a great quote:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies