Scott Brown: If Romney was president, there'd be no concern about Ebola
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:46:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scott Brown: If Romney was president, there'd be no concern about Ebola
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scott Brown: If Romney was president, there'd be no concern about Ebola  (Read 1096 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »
« edited: October 17, 2014, 10:38:15 PM by IceSpear »

http://www.mediaite.com/online/scott-brown-we-would-not-be-worrying-about-ebola-if-romney-were-president/

Pretty mind numbingly stupid comment, even coming from Brown who everyone already knows isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »

I don't have the time to search though an 8 minute video to get to the gotcha sound bite you find so offensive.  Did Brown say or mean in the U.S.?  If he did, he's probably right.  Romney wouldn't have been so politically correct as to not ban travel from the affected countries.  The Liberian ebola patient would have come here in the first place.  And there would be no Ebola in the U.S. right now.

Even your party's sitting Senators in tough races have recently come out for closing the borders with the affected West African countries.  So Brown isn't exactly outside of the mainstream here - and is on the right side of public opinion.
KCDem

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »

I don't have the time to search though an 8 minute video to get to the gotcha sound bite you find so offensive.  Did Brown say or mean in the U.S.?  If he did, he's probably right.  Romney wouldn't have been so politically correct as to not ban travel from the affected countries.  The Liberian ebola patient would have come here in the first place.  And there would be no Ebola in the U.S. right now.

Even your party's sitting Senators in tough races have recently come out for closing the borders with the affected West African countries.  So Brown isn't exactly outside of the mainstream here - and is on the right side of public opinion.

Which doesn't mean he is right. Public opinion is what it is because it has been shaped my a misleading media. Unsurprised that you are misinformed as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Good point, I added a better source.

However, it seems the rest of your post is as delusional as Brown. It's funny how Republicans have brainwashed themselves into believing an epidemic spreading is All Obama's Fault™.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »

I'm not sure how Romney could have stopped Ebola, he's not a doctor.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:03 PM »

I feel the important implication here is that Romney caused ebola.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

A tiny bead of sweat surfaces on IceSpears forehead...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »

A tiny bead of sweat surfaces on IceSpears forehead...

What can I say? His stupidity gives me second hand embarrassment. Wink
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »

I don't have the time to search though an 8 minute video to get to the gotcha sound bite you find so offensive.  Did Brown say or mean in the U.S.?  If he did, he's probably right.  Romney wouldn't have been so politically correct as to not ban travel from the affected countries.  The Liberian ebola patient would have come here in the first place.  And there would be no Ebola in the U.S. right now.

Even your party's sitting Senators in tough races have recently come out for closing the borders with the affected West African countries.  So Brown isn't exactly outside of the mainstream here - and is on the right side of public opinion.

Exactly. We care too much about offending people. We really have to stop caring so much about feelings and emotions. It's ridiculous. This is why I think liberals are fundamentally flawed. I'd take Christian old fashioned tradition over flawed new-age "enlightened" liberalism any day of the week.

I always get the impression that liberals are worried that if they stand for something, they are going to offend someone. For example, they always act "above it all".

You can say, "Ebola is a growing problem in African nations, should we ban travel to prevent any spread to the U.S.?" Whether you agree or disagree, it's a legitimate question. Liberals roll their eyes. Why? Because they are worried about being deemed offensive, racist, whatever...if they agree with your position. Therefore, they try and make you out to be over-exaggerating, or simple-minded, in order to make themselves feel better. My take on the issue is, I don't care who may be offended. If I have something to say, I'm going to say it. Period. No gray area. I care more about helping to stop the spread of a deadly disease than whether or not an exchange student can come into my country to study liberal arts.
porky88
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 05:01:16 PM »

Let's say we did ban travel from West Africa. Couldn't somebody just fly to Europe and fly to America from there? What about flying from Africa to Canada and crossing the border on car?

FYI, I've never flown so I'm not really familiar with all the procedures.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »

Let's say we did ban travel from West Africa. Couldn't somebody just fly to Europe and fly to America from there? What about flying from Africa to Canada and crossing the border on car?

FYI, I've never flown so I'm not really familiar with all the procedures.

I don't think there currently are any direct flights from the U.S. to the affected countries, unless they are on some obscure foreign airline.  Most would travel through Europe.

But non-U.S. Citizens or permanent residents need a visa to travel from places like Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.  Denying visas until the Ebola epidemic is contained wouldn't take much effort.  Denying entry to nationals from those countries who already have a visa at the border and sending them back from whence they came wouldn't take much effort.  Going one step forward by denying entry to those who declare that they have traveled to those countries on their trip would take a bit more effort, but not much.  It requires looking at the entry form everyone needs to fill out when entering the country by air and asking the proper questions at the land borders.  And it's not impossible for a border agent to catch those who lie on their forms or questions by looking at passport stamps to see if there are any recent entry or exit visas from the affected countries and deny entry or require quarantine. 

So, no, it wouldn't be difficult to enforce a partial (West African citizens only) or full travel ban from the affected West African countries.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »

We really have to stop caring so much about feelings and emotions. It's ridiculous. This is why I think liberals are fundamentally flawed.

I always get the impression that liberals are worried that if they stand for something, they are going to offend someone. For example, they always act "above it all".

LOL.
Reaganfan ... Do you understand that your same (silly) argument can be made against conservatives, instead of liberals ?
Do conservatives (and religious conservatives) not have "strong feelings and emotions" ?
Should they "stop caring so much" about their strong views on things they believe ?
And are conservatives who exhibit strong feelings and emotions "ridiculous," and thus if so, must also be "fundamentally flawed" ?

There are also many religious conservatives who "worry that if they stand for something, they are going to offend" others. Breaking News : Many conservatives and their very strong beliefs regarding religion, also discuss topics of interest to them with an "above it all" attitude (or have you not noticed ?).

I'd take Christian old fashioned tradition over flawed new-age "enlightened" liberalism any day of the week.

How "old fashioned" Christian tradition do you see yourself accepting ?
How far back (in time) with Christian traditions are acceptable to you and your beliefs ? .....
How about Christians in early America who would burn people at the stake for accusations of witchcraft ? Or maybe pre-1978 when the Latter Day Saints (a Christian religion) did not accept full membership to blacks, simply for the color of their skin ?
Or current Christian religions who do not accept the gay community ? (Some, like the Roman Catholic Church are finally now "turning the corner," and are finding that their religion must be all-inclusive, if they are to teach love for all people.)
Panda Express

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »

If John Kerry was president, there would be no Hurricane Katrina
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »

If John Kerry was president, there would be no Hurricane Katrina
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:15:49 AM »

8-)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 04:16:38 AM »

And if those Liberians were all Mormons, none of this would have ever happened.

Who knows what might have happened with President Romney. Nobody really called for travel restrictions before Duncan fell ill in Texas so I have some doubts about whether Prez Mitt's course of action pre-Duncan would have differed all that much from Obama's.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »

Nobody's political correct feelings would get hurt if we enforced a travel ban.  We're not doing it because it's bad policy idea that's backfired in the past and the CDC apolitically does not recommend.

The travel ban is actually more PC because it's the feel good populist "common sense" idea of the moment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies