Opinion of Bill Cosby
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Bill Cosby
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Opinion of Bill Cosby  (Read 10969 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
« edited: June 12, 2017, 05:36:35 PM by Simfan34 »

Anyone should read the first two pages of this thread to see that we weren't talking about these recent... accusations. None of which have as much been filed in a court of law mind you. Also I've been seeing a lot of these sorts of photos lately:

An old black man in a hoodie and scraggly beard... funny, that's not the impression I had of him. Often these are juxtaposed with pictures of smiling and often white women, his accusers. Hmm...

There are a lot of people, particularly the younger feminist types who believe in "intersectionality" and that all activist causes are related no matter how unrelated they might seem, and only know and resent Cosby only for his "victim-blaming" comments on Black people, who, beyond their general willingness to discard any semblance of due process (our marching band has recently implemented a policy of throwing out anyone who is accused of sexual assault, and recall the whole mattress thing), are more than happy to see this "race-traitor Uncle Tom rapist" experience an ignominious demise.

Also keep in mind in his time black people were lynched for as much as looking at a white woman. I'm sure large sectors of the public would have been gleeful at his disgrace in the 1980s, certainly more than now.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain't, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?

People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' — or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.

It's not like any of what he said isn't true. Just look at the 1991 LA riots. Yea, that will change people's opinion of you. It's not like there isn't a culture of failure in the black community.

I swear sometimes I think many of you largely live in a fantasy world. I think I'll pay more heed to Bill Cosby and Don Lemon then the white upper middle class social justice warriors of Atlas.

So much of this is total drivel. Barack Obama is the whitest acting black guy in the US, and 6 whites in 10 still hate him viscerally. You can't get too uppity, you know.

As for Cosby, he made his fame and fortune in the only avenue besides sports that black men are socially permitted to thrive in in the US, namely entertainment. If he had pursued any other career path -- education, engineering, etc. -- that wasn't totally shut out to him like business, he would have faced decades of underemployment before being forced out of work entirely by the 2008 economic crash. The heights he uses to lecture the struggling black masses are frail, indeed.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2015, 08:48:44 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

Are white people, on the whole, more racist now than they were 50 years ago? Unless you can argue that is the case I'm not sure how much of a point, if any, you have.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »

We're not sending the guy to jail here. We're voting in an Atlas Forum poll. There's no such thing as "due process" or "innocent until proven guilty" or whatever in an Atlas Forum poll. Is he beyond a reasonable doubt guilty? No. Does the fact that more than fifteen different women, who knew or interacted with him over a period of decades, and have put forward similar stories all accuse him of sexually assaulting them mean that he's probably a rapist? Yes, I think so.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »

Anyone should read the first two pages of this thread to see that we weren't talking about these recent... accusations. None of which have as much been filed in a court of law mind you.
Yeah, when I voted in this poll (FF) I didn't hear about the allegations yet, and FF was leading big then. I changed my vote because 15 peoples' accusations is pretty heavy, but I bet a lot of the people voting FF earlier simply haven't revisited the topic.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 12:13:00 PM by Governor Simfan »

An old black man in a hoodie and scraggly beard... funny, that's not the impression I had of him. Often these are juxtaposed with pictures of smiling and often white women, his accusers. Hmm...

There are a lot of people, particularly the younger feminist types who believe in "intersectionality" and that all activist causes are related no matter how unrelated they might seem, and only know and resent Cosby only for his "victim-blaming" comments on Black people, who, beyond their general willingness to discard any semblance of due process (our marching band has recently implemented a policy of throwing out anyone who is accused of sexual assault, and recall the whole mattress thing), are more than happy to see this "race-traitor Oreo rapist" experience an ignominious demise.

Yes, but of course a person could not notice any of this unless they treated this discussion as something other than a contest of moral outrage.

Well that's what this all is, isn't it? I'll admit I'm seeing it as leftist types gleefully rejoicing in and trying to ensure the ignominious demise of one of their enemies- but yes.

Does the fact that more than fifteen different women, who knew or interacted with him over a period of decades, and have put forward similar stories all accuse him of sexually assaulting them mean that he's probably a rapist? Yes, I think so.

I don't think so. Which is why they deserve to be determined in a court of law. The idea we as a society- the mob- has the right to determine what someone did and didn't do, based off of zero evidence, and impose heavy material and reputational penalities as a result, is absolutely revolting.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »

What I dislike about Cosby (besides the rape thing. Way to stereotype black people, Dr. Morality) is the fact that he uses 'aesthetics' as the main criteria for disliking black "culture", which he never defines himself, and that he confounds his distaste with cultural tropes with the (bad) social conditions of impoverished black people by arguing, somehow, that one implies the other.

Cosby himself may never define what he means by black culture, leaving the whole basis of his argument implicit, but his disingenuous supporters fill that gap with whatever prejudice they happen to bear.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »

Fifteen different women accusing him of raping them does not equal zero evidence. It's not like there's any additional evidence that would come out at trial; it all happened years or decades ago so there would be no physical evidence. It would just be his word against theirs, as is the case now.
Anonymouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 01:24:13 PM by Anonymouse »

Fifteen different women accusing him of raping them does not equal zero evidence.

Not zero evidence, but "unsubstantiated allegations." i.e., with no witnesses or physical/photographic evidence, what can you do?

(even though, yes, he is a serial rapist)
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

What I dislike about Cosby (besides the rape thing. Way to stereotype black people, Dr. Morality) is the fact that he uses 'aesthetics' as the main criteria for disliking black "culture", which he never defines himself, and that he confounds his distaste with cultural tropes with the (bad) social conditions of impoverished black people by arguing, somehow, that one implies the other.

So you disliked that he was a old man, who like most old men complain about the youth today.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »

Anyone should read the first two pages of this thread to see that we weren't talking about these recent... accusations. None of which have as much been filed in a court of law mind you.
Yeah, when I voted in this poll (FF) I didn't hear about the allegations yet, and FF was leading big then. I changed my vote because 15 peoples' accusations is pretty heavy, but I bet a lot of the people voting FF earlier simply haven't revisited the topic.

Yes while I don't think this can ever be proven in a court, the court of public opinion doesn't do reasonable doubt.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »

Fifteen different women accusing him of raping them does not equal zero evidence. It's not like there's any additional evidence that would come out at trial; it all happened years or decades ago so there would be no physical evidence. It would just be his word against theirs, as is the case now.

I didn't realize it was that many.  I just looked it up and you do see the stories corroborate each other with a specific pattern.  That's very damning.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-women-who-have-accused-bill-cosby-of-rape-2014-11
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »

So you disliked that he was a old man, who like most old men complain about the youth today.

Cosby and his supporters go considerably past complaining about youth. He's condemning 40+ million people on the basis of what a subset of youth do today.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »

"He said, she said" is quite different from "he said, she said and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she" etc. HP.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »

"He said, she said" is quite different from "he said, she said and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she and so did she" etc. HP.

This.

HP
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »

Cosby and his supporters go considerably past complaining about youth. He's condemning 40+ million people on the basis of what a subset of youth do today.

Yes and we have people here in this very thread and on many other threads who condemn 245 million people, but I guess those condemnation is just okay, because you agree with them.

Cosby is a Black person and I as a White non-American are not going to condemn him for starting a internal debate in the Black community and I think the idea that Black people should stay silent about things they thinks is wrong in their own community, because some people think that White people will use it against them, are not just wrong, it's also disgusting and just an attempt to silence dissidence and forcing one views on the rest of the community.

... also it's stupid, there's not a single person who agree with Cosby, who didn't already have these opinions before Cosby spoke his mind.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 02:10:58 PM by Storebought »

What? Who ever implied that the black community is silent about the dysfunction of poor US blacks, or that it needs a Bill Cosby or you to make claims about what is somehow unknown? Any number of columns in black and mainstream, US and foreign, newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc. demonstrates otherwise. Just because you don't read them doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And nowhere did I imply that Cosby "put these notions into people's heads." People have their own prejudices which they carry with them, and feed it with examples whenever them meet them, and ignore cases when it doesn't. Both Barack and Michelle Obama lecture the same message to downwardly mobile black people that Cosby thinks he is giving, and that fact matters to these prejudiced people not at all because the Obamas don't use vituperative or condemnatory language. If anything, those two are hated more than the down and out blacks.

If it were simply the matter of having the satisfaction of seeing a hypocrite go down in flames (a public entertainer condemning youth -- and everyone else -- for the youth following the trends set by the public entertainment industry), then I should be the happiest to see Cosby ruined by these rape charges. In fact, I wish he would survive them (by showing that they could not have possibly happened), just so he can be taken down later.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

What? Who ever implied that the black community is silent about the dysfunction of poor US blacks, or that it needs a Bill Cosby or you to make claims about what is somehow unknown? Any number of columns in black and mainstream, US and foreign, newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc. demonstrates otherwise. Just because you don't read them doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What are you talking about? I didn't imply that the Black community was silent about perceived internal dysfunctionality. I attacked that people outside the Black community set themselves up as judges over a internal community debate. Black people are welcome to Cosby for being a hypocrite and anti-Black racist in their opinion, but I doubt that especially many of the people posting how he's a HP or FF for his political opinions in this thread are Black.

Of course I still think the rapes make him a horrible person, but honestly I don't judge him one or another for his views of Black culture, through I see him as just another old person (who just happen to be famous and a likely rapist), who complain about young people, modern music and low hanging pants.

I don't think this issue as much more complex than and I don't see why it deserve the hysterics and hyperbole of making it into "Cosby condemn 40 million people".
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »

Isn't there some issue with statute of limitations in some of these cases? This kinda defeats the idea that judgement towards him should be reserved for the court of law, no?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

This.

HP
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »

This.

HP

Yes, there's no longer any reason to think of him as an FF, and it makes his former posturing as the do gooder father figure much more disturbing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

This.

HP

Yes, there's no longer any reason to think of him as an FF, and it makes his former posturing as the do gooder father figure much more disturbing.
^^
Howard Stern went on a rant about him for the same reason about three weeks before the latest batch of accusations hit the scene.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »

When I was home visiting my grandparents, a news story about the allegations played, featuring a clip of one of the women talking about her specific experiences with Cosby, which ended up causing my grandmother to be the one to get angry and mention how angry it all made her because she thought most of them were lying. That she ended up the most skeptical of us amused me.

I voted FF when the poll was first posted, but I probably wouldn't do so now, for reasons explained; there are too many accusations of some sort of wrongdoing for me to feel they are all wrong, and Cosby's career is such at this point that he should probably just let his past as a pioneer for black entertainers stand on its own and live the rest of his life in peace and quiet. I don't know if all of them are telling the truth, and there is obviously no way to convict him for any of it and that's how the legal system should be, etc, but I think it's more likely than not that Cosby did something wrong and should at the very least give up his spotlight.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »

Neutral. If this rumors are true, then I'm very disappointed. Cosby's image has always been clean, fatherly, good advice to blacks, and very religious.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 10:36:23 PM by Fuzzybigfoot »

This is why banning people doesn't make sense.  If you're tired of a bunch of a bunch of posters being HPs (which at this point, is a respectable position), you might as well just leave instead.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies