Opinion of Bill Cosby (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:42:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Bill Cosby (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Opinion of Bill Cosby  (Read 11186 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

What I dislike about Cosby (besides the rape thing. Way to stereotype black people, Dr. Morality) is the fact that he uses 'aesthetics' as the main criteria for disliking black "culture", which he never defines himself, and that he confounds his distaste with cultural tropes with the (bad) social conditions of impoverished black people by arguing, somehow, that one implies the other.

So you disliked that he was a old man, who like most old men complain about the youth today.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »

Anyone should read the first two pages of this thread to see that we weren't talking about these recent... accusations. None of which have as much been filed in a court of law mind you.
Yeah, when I voted in this poll (FF) I didn't hear about the allegations yet, and FF was leading big then. I changed my vote because 15 peoples' accusations is pretty heavy, but I bet a lot of the people voting FF earlier simply haven't revisited the topic.

Yes while I don't think this can ever be proven in a court, the court of public opinion doesn't do reasonable doubt.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »

What I dislike about Cosby (besides the rape thing. Way to stereotype black people, Dr. Morality) is the fact that he uses 'aesthetics' as the main criteria for disliking black "culture", which he never defines himself, and that he confounds his distaste with cultural tropes with the (bad) social conditions of impoverished black people by arguing, somehow, that one implies the other.

So you disliked that he was a old man, who like most old men complain about the youth today.

Cosby and his supporters go considerably past complaining about youth. He's condemning 40+ million people on the basis of what a subset of youth do today.

Yes and we have people here in this very thread and on many other threads who condemn 245 million people, but I guess those condemnation is just okay, because you agree with them.

Cosby is a Black person and I as a White non-American are not going to condemn him for starting a internal debate in the Black community and I think the idea that Black people should stay silent about things they thinks is wrong in their own community, because some people think that White people will use it against them, are not just wrong, it's also disgusting and just an attempt to silence dissidence and forcing one views on the rest of the community.

... also it's stupid, there's not a single person who agree with Cosby, who didn't already have these opinions before Cosby spoke his mind.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

What? Who ever implied that the black community is silent about the dysfunction of poor US blacks, or that it needs a Bill Cosby or you to make claims about what is somehow unknown? Any number of columns in black and mainstream, US and foreign, newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc. demonstrates otherwise. Just because you don't read them doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What are you talking about? I didn't imply that the Black community was silent about perceived internal dysfunctionality. I attacked that people outside the Black community set themselves up as judges over a internal community debate. Black people are welcome to Cosby for being a hypocrite and anti-Black racist in their opinion, but I doubt that especially many of the people posting how he's a HP or FF for his political opinions in this thread are Black.

Of course I still think the rapes make him a horrible person, but honestly I don't judge him one or another for his views of Black culture, through I see him as just another old person (who just happen to be famous and a likely rapist), who complain about young people, modern music and low hanging pants.

I don't think this issue as much more complex than and I don't see why it deserve the hysterics and hyperbole of making it into "Cosby condemn 40 million people".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies