Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:15:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 150927 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »

Even this evening, while I watch Monday Night Football, I am going to prepare for my interview and I have been job searching all day and all evening.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »

Trying to look is one part of it but you're not actively becoming someone who can succeed at a job. Unless you get a job as a professional application filler outer, filling out applications isn't preparing for anything.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »

Even this evening, while I watch Monday Night Football, I am going to prepare for my interview and I have been job searching all day and all evening.

TURN OFF THE FOOTBALL AND FOCUS FULLY ON PREPARING FOR THE INTERVIEW

jesus f[inks]ing christ
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »

I can't say that I want Bushie to succeed. He has done nothing to deserve success and isn't a particularly good person. If I had time or money to spend on helping someone it would be a person who was working hard under difficult circumstances and deserved a break.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »

Sure, I have bad luck on the job search... (I am a supply preacher).
1. Luck is not the issue. You've made monumentally bad choices regarding your employment status.
2. What the Inks is a supply preacher?
TURN OFF THE FOOTBALL AND FOCUS FULLY ON PREPARING FOR THE INTERVIEW
jesus f[inks]ing christ
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »

Trying to look is one part of it but you're not actively becoming someone who can succeed at a job. Unless you get a job as a professional application filler outer, filling out applications isn't preparing for anything.

I have been looking at the company's website extensively and looking through the interview prep material my recruiter gave me.  So, I believe I am preparing for something.  Now, will it land me the job?  We'll see, but I'm doing everything I can to make sure I get it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »

Bushie, you've landed more jobs than anybody I know in the real world. Finding a job is not really your problem.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »

I can't say that I want Bushie to succeed. He has done nothing to deserve success and isn't a particularly good person. If I had time or money to spend on helping someone it would be a person who was working hard under difficult circumstances and deserved a break.

At least you're honest.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

What all this talk today boils down to is that I should not stop doing what I'm doing. Everybody (except Gustaf) wants me to succeed, but thinks I should be doing things a little differently.  I think I'm doing what I need to be doing, but I do realize I could be making a few changes.  I am doing everything I need to for tomorrow.  That's all I can focus on right now is Tuesday.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »

Jeff, I'm not going to say you're being held back by lack of ability. You're being held back by your attitude - not in the way you think.

You're overweight but you refuse to eat better. You're overweight but you refuse to exercise. You could probably cut the number of medications you take in half if you'd actually be proactive in doing something about your health. You don't have a job. What's your excuse for not going for a walk/jog/run? YMCA memberships are cheap - what's your excuse for not going there? You know as well as we do that you're not literally spending every waking hour of your day filling out job applications. If you are, you're wasting your time.

You view work as nothing more than a means to not mooch off mère et père and to subsidize your Braum's and Comcast bills. If you think any firm is going to let you sit around doing entry-level CADD work until you're 65, you're dead wrong. Organizations expect you to either move up the ladder or GTFO. You're not willing to put in the 50+ hour weeks or exercise any sort of initiative that is necessary for higher-level roles with more responsibility. Assuming you correct whatever went wrong at your last job, you're going to float along in neutral for a couple of years and eventually management's going to wonder why a man in his mid-30s has gone nowhere professionally and you're going to get booted out in favor of someone younger and hungrier. That process will repeat itself a couple more times, at which point your only options will be the sort of minimum wage jobs you're currently turning up your nose at because you'll be a washed-up 50 year old whose litany of health problems would probably destroy an employee health insurance plan.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »

What all this talk today boils down to is that I should not stop doing what I'm doing. Everybody (except Gustaf) wants me to succeed, but thinks I should be doing things a little differently.  I think I'm doing what I need to be doing, but I do realize I could be making a few changes.  I am doing everything I need to for tomorrow.  That's all I can focus on right now is Tuesday.

I am seriously about to have an aneurysm.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »

You view work as nothing more than a means to not mooch off mère et père and to subsidize your Braum's and Comcast bills. If you think any firm is going to let you sit around doing entry-level CADD work until you're 65, you're dead wrong. Organizations expect you to either move up the ladder or GTFO. You're not willing to put in the 50+ hour weeks or exercise any sort of initiative that is necessary for higher-level roles with more responsibility. Assuming you correct whatever went wrong at your last job, you're going to float along in neutral for a couple of years and eventually management's going to wonder why a man in his mid-30s has gone nowhere professionally and you're going to get booted out in favor of someone younger and hungrier. That process will repeat itself a couple more times, at which point your only options will be the sort of minimum wage jobs you're currently turning up your nose at because you'll be a washed-up 50 year old whose litany of health problems would probably destroy an employee health insurance plan.

You don't know this is how companies work!! Only God knows this!!!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »

FWIW, I know a woman who has been delivering pizzas for the same store for over 20 years now. You could be that woman, Bushie. You'd never have to worry about trying to push yourself up that ladder. It could be just you, your car, and the pepperonis.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

Perhaps we should call the guys from Inception during Bushie's next 10 hour sleep. It's clear he doesn't take any advice that doesn't produce organically in his own mind.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Like I said earlier, I have two things tomorrow.  A 1000 interview in SW OKC and a career fair in Tulsa at 1300ish.  The Tulsa career fair is said to have "on-the-spot consideration".  I'm definitely in a position where I'm going to take the first job that hires me.  My preference would be the Tulsa job even though it pays quite a bit less.  However, with a $15.00 CAD job, I have to try my best at the OKC Interview.  If I do get the OKC job, since it is only a 3-6 month contract, I would still probably keep my apartment in Tulsa and maybe spend the weekends there.  I could go back to Tulsa after my contract at work is up and resume my CAD search up there.  It would give me 3-6 months additional experience which may make a huge difference in future CAD jobs.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-now-too-exhausted-to-repress-both-anger-and-sa,37224/
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »

Did you take a nap today?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »

Like I said earlier, I have two things tomorrow.  A 1000 interview in SW OKC and a career fair in Tulsa at 1300ish.  The Tulsa career fair is said to have "on-the-spot consideration".  I'm definitely in a position where I'm going to take the first job that hires me.  My preference would be the Tulsa job even though it pays quite a bit less.  However, with a $15.00 CAD job, I have to try my best at the OKC Interview.  If I do get the OKC job, since it is only a 3-6 month contract, I would still probably keep my apartment in Tulsa and maybe spend the weekends there.  I could go back to Tulsa after my contract at work is up and resume my CAD search up there.  It would give me 3-6 months additional experience which may make a huge difference in future CAD jobs.

You can afford a weekend getaway apartment ?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:44 PM »

I imagine he's taking one right now... he's watching a terrible MNF matchup nobody in their right minds would care about while "interview prepping."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »

According to his facial book, yes.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »

Among the litany of issues you may have Jeff, execution is chief among them.

You do have a vision for yourself -- from what I can tell, it's to be an independent provider, a head-of-household who puts in a Dick van Dyke style day, comes home after a solid eight hours to trip over the ottoman and into the arms of your housewife and your 2.4 children, waiting for you in your modest ranch-style house with the white picket fence.

The problem is, vision without execution is worthless. Anyone can say that they know they need to practice the skills they need to build a career. Anyone can say they need to exercise and lose weight. In fact, anyone can set an arbitrary goal associated with their vision -- even baby steps -- and if they don't actually do anything to work toward that goal or vision, it's worthless.

Jeff -- this is largely your modus operandi.

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You're not wrong to believe in yourself, and while I don't think you're anywhere near a good judge of your own abilities, it's not wrong to have a dream. But you're painfully bad at actually following through on, well, anything.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »

You do have a vision for yourself -- from what I can tell, it's to be an independent provider, a head-of-household who puts in a Dick van Dyke style day, comes home after a solid eight hours to trip over the ottoman and into the arms of your housewife and your 2.4 children, waiting for you in your modest ranch-style house with the white picket fence.

The problem is, vision without execution is worthless. Anyone can say that they know they need to practice the skills they need to build a career. Anyone can say they need to exercise and lose weight. In fact, anyone can set an arbitrary goal associated with their vision -- even baby steps -- and if they don't actually do anything to work toward that goal or vision, it's worthless.

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You're not wrong to believe in yourself, and while I don't think you're anywhere near a good judge of your own abilities, it's not wrong to have a dream. But you're painfully bad at actually following through on, well, anything.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

2. Take a 20-minute walk
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

I'm actually going to do that for myself, great advice!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »

it's getting a little to close for comfort now:

www.theonion.com/articles/man-coasting-through-life-entirely-benefit-doubt,37229/
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2014, 11:31:54 PM »

The guy in the picture even kind of looks like what Jeff might look like if he lost some weight, lost the pedo-stache and got a better haircut.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »

2. Take a 20-minute walk

I'm actually going to do that for myself, great advice!

J-Mann, will you be my life coach?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies