Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 151536 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »

bushie serious question:  other folks have asked, but i dont think youve ever given a good answer:  what makes you think you deserve at least $11 an hour?

i have a college degree.  i was out of the work force for a while.  i took a job at wendy's  on the late night shift washing dishes and scrubbing toilets for $8.85 an hour.  because i basically had to.  now, ive a better job.  but it takes work.  not just laying around and watching cable tv all day feeling entitled.

I've replied before that worth has NOTHING to do with it.  I NEED $11+ in order to make the most of my time and ease the burden on Mom and Dad.  I don't know how in the world that's not a good enough answer, but it's the only answer you're going to get.

So $9 won't help the burden?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2014, 01:18:11 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 01:20:34 PM by King »

The past year Bushie has worked about 22 weeks, been unemployed about 30 weeks because he keeps getting fired from call centers and going to school for CAD. Making $10/hr. That's $8800 pre tax.

If he had a nice cozy do nothing $8/hr job and kept it for 52 weeks because no expectations, he'd have $16640 pre tax right now. Plus no student debt for his parents because of CAD certification.

It's Tortoise and the Hare and he's going to make some nice rabbit stew. RIP.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »

The refusal to take $8 or $9 is simply nutso when his parents are struggling to pay his rent and other bills.  My kid would be homeless if she did that sh**t.  I wouldn't pay a dime.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

bushie serious question:  other folks have asked, but i dont think youve ever given a good answer:  what makes you think you deserve at least $11 an hour?

i have a college degree.  i was out of the work force for a while.  i took a job at wendy's  on the late night shift washing dishes and scrubbing toilets for $8.85 an hour.  because i basically had to.  now, ive a better job.  but it takes work.  not just laying around and watching cable tv all day feeling entitled.

I've replied before that worth has NOTHING to do with it.  I NEED $11+ in order to make the most of my time and ease the burden on Mom and Dad.  I don't know how in the world that's not a good enough answer, but it's the only answer you're going to get.

$8 > $0. It's also been floated that you do not NEED $11+, and that simple lifestyle changes would make the lifestyle tenable (e.g. cooking your own goddamn food)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

I have nothing against those working for lower wages, but I am not going to apply for anything paying less.  Everyone here thinks I can only work minimum wage jobs and be stuck there my entire life, but I do deserve to be paid more.  Heck, I'm worth $20 an hour, but I know I won't get it.  $11-$12 is as low as I can go.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »

I have nothing against those working for lower wages, but I am not going to apply for anything paying less.  Everyone here thinks I can only work minimum wage jobs and be stuck there my entire life, but I do deserve to be paid more.  Heck, I'm worth $20 an hour, but I know I won't get it.  $11-$12 is as low as I can go.

All evidence points to the contrary.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »

The refusal to take $8 or $9 is simply nutso when his parents are struggling to pay his rent and other bills.  My kid would be homeless if she did that sh**t.  I wouldn't pay a dime.

If he were 22, I'd empathize. My parents let me slack off and not get a job right away after I graduated college. They never pushed me because they had the money, but after a freeloading few months, my own guilt pushed me into the workforce despite it not being a job I wanted.  I know that feeling. But 32 years old? Jeez.

There are poor people out there, some with kids, who are making $8-9 and no parents to help ease the burden AT ALL. It's disgraceful. It's like he doesn't know how less fortunate others' situations are. They need to Bible Study on that next time.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »

Jeff, this is when you have to realize that a vote for Republican politicians like James Lankford is a vote against your own quality of life. Increase the wage to $15, you might easily make $20/hr.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Why is it so difficult to fathom that $9 temporarily is still better than a grand total of zero?

And unless you're logic is that pretty much every worker is worth $20 an hour (for which there is a fair argument, although it's still problematic), I don't see why what you offer is worth that amount. That's not to say you couldn't be in the future, but you have to keep in mind what you're offering a potential employer at this point.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »

Precisely.  That's how old my kid is.  She changed careers in her mid-twenties, went back to school, and after graduation had to work for sh**t wages and never-ending hours as she started up the food chain (literally) as a chef.  Now she does fine.   The years she put in to get there she did so being totally underpaid.  But that's how everyone has to start so she's nothing special, just a hard worker......so do it and quit whining.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »

What's funny is everyone here thinks I'm being lazy and not actively looking for a job and napping all day or watching 15 hours of TV everyday.  Everybody are grossly mistaken if they think that.  The thing is I'm actively seeking employment during all business hours.  I may take a short nap here and there and I do watch TV, but that does not mean I'm being completely lazy.  I can search and watch TV at the same time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »

Precisely.  That's how old my kid is.  She changed careers in her mid-twenties, went back to school, and after graduation had to work for sh**t wages and never-ending hours as she started up the food chain (literally) as a chef.  Now she does fine.   The years she put in to get there she did so being totally underpaid.  But that's how everyone has to start so she's nothing special, just a hard worker......so do it and quit whining.

I'm not whining or complaining.  I just have my own criteria (criteria that are not misguided) for jobs that I will entertain.  Besides, I'm not desperate enough to work minimum wage jobs.  Also, I've tried fast food restaurants, but I cannot lift the darn grease pans to clean up without spilling it all over the floor.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »

What's funny is everyone here thinks I'm being lazy and not actively looking for a job and napping all day or watching 15 hours of TV everyday.  Everybody are grossly mistaken if they think that.  The thing is I'm actively seeking employment during all business hours.  I may take a short nap here and there and I do watch TV, but that does not mean I'm being completely lazy.  I can search and watch TV at the same time.

1. You're not in business, so you need to work longer than 9-5
2. It's one thing to look for jobs. It's another to get it. You never do interview prep. You reach for the stars with job offerings you are not qualified for. You are STRIKING OUT at the plate every time, going for the home run. You could walk into any restaurant or store with a hiring sign in the window RIGHT NOW and have job starting MONDAY MORNING.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »

Besides, I'm not desperate enough to work minimum wage jobs. 

Yes, you damn well are. Or should be at least. Seriously, I'm not trying to be Inks here, but your biggest problem is your perception of your own situation.

Anyone who's deep in the red, paying for rent, cable TV and bacon cheeseburgers twice a day is in quite a desperate situation if their income is 0.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »

Besides, I'm not desperate enough to work minimum wage jobs.

What about the burden of poor old Mama and Papa? I'm sure they'd appreciate the $200 a week.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »

Also, I've tried fast food restaurants, but I cannot lift the darn grease pans to clean up without spilling it all over the floor.

How can somebody not even fit for a fast food restaurant be worth $20/hour?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »

I agree with Bushie's assessment that he needs to earn about $11/hour. That's somewhere in the ballpark of what's known as a living wage. As it happens, there are also tens of millions of people who also need to make about $11/hour and have not hit that target. There are not, however, tens of millions of $11/hour jobs ripe for the plucking. You are competing against everybody else for what is available. How do expect to win the competition? Life is a helluva lot harder than school. It's sink or swim out in the world.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today

What?!

....what
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

bushie serious question:  other folks have asked, but i dont think youve ever given a good answer:  what makes you think you deserve at least $11 an hour?

i have a college degree.  i was out of the work force for a while.  i took a job at wendy's  on the late night shift washing dishes and scrubbing toilets for $8.85 an hour.  because i basically had to.  now, ive a better job.  but it takes work.  not just laying around and watching cable tv all day feeling entitled.

I've replied before that worth has NOTHING to do with it.  I NEED $11+ in order to make the most of my time and ease the burden on Mom and Dad.  I don't know how in the world that's not a good enough answer, but it's the only answer you're going to get.

So $9 won't help the burden?

^^^

bushie's math doesnt make sense.  he thinks making $9 an hour would be a bigger burden to papa bushie than making $0.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »

That was obviously a typo.  I meant to say "should not need a nap".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

Bushie says he can't survive on less than $11 an hour. That's a lie. He can't eat his Braums feasts every day and pay for a wastefully expensive cable package that shows all his football games on $11 an hour. I usually try to look at things from Bushie's perspective and think he gets it a little too hard from a lot of people here, but this latest showing of laziness and entitlement, when his parents are forced to subsidize his relatively extravagant lifestyle, is pretty indefensible.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »

I don't understand the logic here. Bushie NEEDS $11/hour to ease the burden on his parents, yet he refuses to make any money whatsoever in the meantime. I bet $250/week would help ease their burden if he took a temporary job while looking for full-time employment.

Of course, he doesn't think that way and would never agree with me.

I also still can't get over what a prideful man he is. His snobbery rivals even the worst people I know and he has no reason to be whatsoever. This is a guy that hasn't held a steady job in 5 years. What makes him think he's better than other people?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »

Bushie should cancel the cable package and visit http://www.vipleague.se/
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »

I don't understand the logic here. Bushie NEEDS $11/hour to ease the burden on his parents, yet he refuses to make any money whatsoever in the meantime. I bet $250/week would help ease their burden if he took a temporary job while looking for full-time employment.

Of course, he doesn't think that way and would never agree with me.

I also still can't get over what a prideful man he is. His snobbery rivals even the worst people I know and he has no reason to be whatsoever. This is a guy that hasn't held a steady job in 5 years. What makes him think he's better than other people?

At no time have I ever said or implied that I'm better than other people.  I'm just relaying my own needs.  The $11.00 an hour is something my parents and I have discussed together.  Personally, I wouldn't mind going for a $9 or $10, but they want me to get $11 an hour or more even if it means waiting a little longer.  Since I am in their checkbook, I am inclined and kind of obligated to agree with them.  In no way do I think I am better than minimum wage workers.  I understand their desire to make more money, I just can't be in their shoes and not live paycheck to paycheck.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »

You can get a $9 hour job and then quit it if another something comes along. You've quit your call center jobs to chase another job before...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies