Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:59:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 151397 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »

Bushie, living paycheck to paycheck would be a vast improvement over your current situation.  Or am I misunderstanding your final sentence? It is a confusing construction. Are you saying that you want to live paycheck to paycheck? That phrase has a very negative connotation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »

Even if I did take a lower-paying job.  Why would I apply to a job that pays, say, $9.00 over a job that pays $11-$12 that I am equally qualified for on paper?

Tomorrow for instance, my interview pays $15.00 an hour for 3-6 months contract and it is a CAD job.  I will go to a job fair in Tulsa right after that which has consideration on the spot and pays $11.50 an hour for a permanent opportunity.  Obviously, I will try as hard as I can for the $15.00 job because it is CAD and it may lead to another CAD job.  Though, if I get offered the $11.50 job right away, you bet I will take it even though it pays $13.50 an hour less.  The biggest two things about the lower-paying job is it is in Tulsa and offers permanent employment.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »

Bushie, how many CAD(D) interviews have you had so far? 3-4? That's actually pretty impressive imo.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

Jeff, I know the "worth" question comes across as offensive, but it's actually reasonably good interview preparation. Why do you believe that you're worth $20 an hour ... or $11 an hour? Your honest answer as to the attributes that could make you worth that amount (rather than a "my parents have discussed and determined that's what I need to make" answer) may help you think through what you bring to the table ... and maybe reveal some deficiencies, as well.

Additionally -- and I think this is a question worth pondering and answering -- why aren't you considering two jobs? I agree with you that $11.00 an hour multiplied by 2,080 hours per year is better for you than $8.00 an hour. BUT -- if your own employment background or skillset don't lend themselves to a stable and consistent $11.00 an hour position (and so far, they flat-out have not), isn't it worth considering two jobs -- one full time and one part time -- that pay less but are more-stable for you? It's not as if you don't have the time for a part-time job, and millions who find themselves in similar financial circumstances pursue two jobs as an option.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »

Why would I apply to a job that pays, say, $9.00 over a job that pays $11-$12 that I am equally qualified for on paper?

Because you have a decent chance of retaining a $9/hour job, unlike the $11+/hour jobs that you are only qualified for on paper.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »

Why would I apply to a job that pays, say, $9.00 over a job that pays $11-$12 that I am equally qualified for on paper?

Because you have a decent chance of retaining a $9/hour job, unlike the $11+/hour jobs that you are only qualified for on paper.

Plus $9 > $0.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »

Why not apply to all jobs you are qualified for and know you can do? The worst that can happen is turning them down for a better offer.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »

Jeff, I know the "worth" question comes across as offensive, but it's actually reasonably good interview preparation. Why do you believe that you're worth $20 an hour ... or $11 an hour? Your honest answer as to the attributes that could make you worth that amount (rather than a "my parents have discussed and determined that's what I need to make" answer) may help you think through what you bring to the table ... and maybe reveal some deficiencies, as well.

Additionally -- and I think this is a question worth pondering and answering -- why aren't you considering two jobs? I agree with you that $11.00 an hour multiplied by 2,080 hours per year is better for you than $8.00 an hour. BUT -- if your own employment background or skillset don't lend themselves to a stable and consistent $11.00 an hour position (and so far, they flat-out have not), isn't it worth considering two jobs -- one full time and one part time -- that pay less but are more-stable for you? It's not as if you don't have the time for a part-time job, and millions who find themselves in similar financial circumstances pursue two jobs as an option.

As far as the two jobs, I get worn out very easily.  I've answered this before, but I've always been attacked for it, but if I take on too many things on my plate, burn out comes very fast.  I have actually physically passed out from being too tired.  Two jobs would almost certainly eliminate my weekends, leaving me virtually no time to rest.  It would be more disastrous to my health than my eating and exercise habits.  I physically cannot work two jobs.  I admire those who can, but I physically cannot.  It's not because I'm lazy, but it's my personal health.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »

Why not apply to all jobs you are qualified for and know you can do? The worst that can happen is turning them down for a better offer.

I already do that.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »

As far as the two jobs, I get worn out very easily.  I've answered this before, but I've always been attacked for it, but if I take on too many things on my plate, burn out comes very fast.  I have actually physically passed out from being too tired.  Two jobs would almost certainly eliminate my weekends, leaving me virtually no time to rest.  It would be more disastrous to my health than my eating and exercise habits.  I physically cannot work two jobs.  I admire those who can, but I physically cannot.  It's not because I'm lazy, but it's my personal health.

And the first part of the post?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »

In other news, the Onion guy who reads Update continues to deliver:

"Snowy Conditions Proving Hazardous For Nation's Idiots"

http://v.theonion.com/onionmedia/videos/videometa/391/zen_mp4.mp4
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »

I have nothing against those working for lower wages, but I am not going to apply for anything paying less.  Everyone here thinks I can only work minimum wage jobs and be stuck there my entire life, but I do deserve to be paid more.  Heck, I'm worth $20 an hour, but I know I won't get it.  $11-$12 is as low as I can go.

Jeff, this is when you have to realize that a vote for Republican politicians like James Lankford is a vote against your own quality of life. Increase the wage to $15, you might easily make $20/hr.

But he certainly wouldn't deserve it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »

Also, once again, construction/demolition companies don't pay horribly, and they'll even hire ex-convicts, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »

And the first part of the post?

I'm still trying to think of what to say.  To use a funny, I know anything I say can and will be used against me in the court of the Atlas Forum, so I'm trying to carefully construct my words. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »

Also, once again, construction/demolition companies don't pay horribly, and they'll even hire ex-convicts, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a job.
That's hard work though. We should find him something air conditioned and comfortable.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »

That's hard work though. We should find him something air conditioned and comfortable.

Yeah, as much as I appreciate the suggestion, I wouldn't last a day, maybe two, there.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

If Bushie was worth $20/hour then he would have no problem not being fired from jobs that pay just over half of that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 04:15:46 PM by Christmas Bushie 2014 »

If Bushie was worth $20/hour then he would have no problem not being fired from jobs that pay just over half of that.

I can't let it get to me despite the repeated drops, if that's what you mean.  Clearly I need to do things differently the next time, but I'm not let it bothering me any more than showing me where I need to change.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

i think im worth $20/hour.  im not getting paid $20.  So i think i will just go in and quit my job.

/bushielogic
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »

Yeah, as much as I appreciate the suggestion, I wouldn't last a day, maybe two, there.

didnt you do road work once?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »

Bushie, you are living off your parents right now. The least you could do is accept any job that offers you any amount of money so that it's easier on your parents while spending half an hour each day applying to places that pay more.

Preferably a job that isn't customer service related.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 04:32:09 PM by King »

Bushie, stating you physically get easily exhausted, can't do the physical labor to work fast food, mentally do not improve fast enough in your educated field, mentally are prone to boneheaded mistakes, emotionally struggle with customer service interaction, etc. only paints a picture that you are completely unfit for any kind of employment.

Given your monetary demands and your admitted shortcomings, I couldn't create a stable job for you if I tried. I've worked in offices a long time and just running through all the tasks that have to be performed from bottom to top:

>File clerk, a lot of bending, standing, moving around. No.
>Mail clerk, can't lift heavy shipped items like paper and bottled water. No.
>Front receptionist, not physically attractive for customers. No.
>Secretary/general clerk, can't answer the phones. No.
>Custodian, too much physical labor. No.
>Proofreader, ADHD and slow at learning to understand new material. No.
>Accountant, paralegal, bookkeeping, server administration, etc., etc. no education credentials
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

i think im worth $20/hour.  im not getting paid $20.  So i think i will just go in and quit my job.

/bushielogic

That is not my logic at all.  My logic is, I'm worth $20, I likely won't get paid $20, but I won't quit my job.  You notice my low end threshold is nearly half of what I think I'm worth.  I fully understand others may not think I'm worth $20.  Some may think less, but some may think more.  That's why I said worth does not factor into my job search at all or my consideration of a job.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »

I don't understand the logic here. Bushie NEEDS $11/hour to ease the burden on his parents, yet he refuses to make any money whatsoever in the meantime. I bet $250/week would help ease their burden if he took a temporary job while looking for full-time employment.

Of course, he doesn't think that way and would never agree with me.

I also still can't get over what a prideful man he is. His snobbery rivals even the worst people I know and he has no reason to be whatsoever. This is a guy that hasn't held a steady job in 5 years. What makes him think he's better than other people?

At no time have I ever said or implied that I'm better than other people.  I'm just relaying my own needs.  The $11.00 an hour is something my parents and I have discussed together.  Personally, I wouldn't mind going for a $9 or $10, but they want me to get $11 an hour or more even if it means waiting a little longer.  Since I am in their checkbook, I am inclined and kind of obligated to agree with them.  In no way do I think I am better than minimum wage workers.  I understand their desire to make more money, I just can't be in their shoes and not live paycheck to paycheck.

So your parents prefer you make $0 an hour than make something under $11 for the time being? Do you realize how silly that sounds? I can't believe they actually said something like that.

And you're 32, if you want to work and make some money on your own, do it. It's ridiculous you keep saying things like "we" when discussing your life. It's your life. You're a grown man.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

I would never pay anyone with your employment history, your educational transcript, your physical energy level, your mental attention level, etc. $20 to do anything for one hour. Sorry, buddy, but that's the truth.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies