Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:25:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 146482 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2014, 09:06:35 PM »

Tweed, I will say this is a globally respected defense contractor.  If this plays out with either 3 or 6 months, it will really boost my resume.  I know what to do this time and I will practice every night for a while.

alright, sounds good man.  good luck.  what scares you about what Mondale might do?

Contact the employer on Facebook and try to badmouth Bushie.  Given Mondale's past behavior (re: contacting Maisha Orphanage and the like), this is not an unfounded concern.  Though Mondale may have lost interest by now.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »

One thing about this company is that it's such a big operation (they mention CAD workstations) that you better cross your Ts and dot your Is on your work. It's likely going to be a mill operation where bad employees are purged fast. I imagine they are going to do metrics on you rather than have eye test personal supervision of your work. If your output is subpar, you'll be brought into the office for a talk pretty quick.

Especially if they're doing the hiring like this because of needed quick help. It sounds like they're hiring anyone with a CAD certificate and some experience. But once they get enough folks if they don't need that many any more, the standards will increase, and if Bushie continues to phone it in like he tends to do, he will be gone.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »

I just don't understand these companies hiring practices. Unless he's lying on his CV... I would never, ever hire Bushie based on what we know about his work history.

The quickest I've ever been hired for a job was 2 days between interview and offer. I just don't understand... especially when CADD has actual issues of technical knowledge requirements and PROFICIENCY. Surely that needs to be assessed and verified?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »

Has anyone reviewed this job yet? It sounds a bit...strange...that a large defense firm hired Bushie that quickly. His first job sort of made sense, small mom and pop operation, but this sounds strange.

I've PM'd it to J-Mann and Smash, who both have "approved" of the job.  During the interview, he asked me about 10 questions, which I gave the correct answers to, and performed a drafting demonstration right there in the interview room.  They told me as I was walking out it would be a week or two before they reached a decision.  So, I proceeded to head up to Tulsa to that customer service job fair when I happened to get hungry and stopped at the McDonald's on the Turnpike between OKC and Tulsa.  I sat down to eat and happened to check my phone and had a voicemail from my recruiter.  I first thought, "Oh crap, no job."  Then, I checked my email on my iPhone and saw an email from her that said "Offer!!" in the subject line.  I checked the voicemail and sure enough that's what she said.  The voice mail was already 25 minutes old and I was already 65 miles up the road, so about an hour given city traffic at 10:45-11:30 in the morning.  I called her right away and confirmed the details and then I proceeded to choke down my burger and got back in the car, called Mom, Grandma, and then posted on FB and the Forum, then I got off at the next exit and proceeded to head back to my parents so we could talk strategy.  It may have been 30 minutes that elapsed between interview and offer, but still not much time.

Let's be honest: the presence of a job offer had no impact on the speed with which said burger was consumed.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:16 PM »

I just don't understand these companies hiring practices. Unless he's lying on his CV... I would never, ever hire Bushie based on what we know about his work history.

The quickest I've ever been hired for a job was 2 days between interview and offer. I just don't understand... especially when CADD has actual issues of technical knowledge requirements and PROFICIENCY. Surely that needs to be assessed and verified?

I had a tentative same-day offer for my current position (pending reference and background checks), although my interview lasted seven hours.

I've also hired on-the-spot before ... though that was only in cases of low-level positions and due to my own inexperience. I put candidates through their paces now and usually do some internal polling and analysis prior to making an offer, but a quick turnaround on a lower-risk position is probably more common than you might think.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »

It's still rather frustrating when you consider how many people with far better work histories than Jeff have to spend months or years unemployed before they finally get an offer.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »

Security Clearance Level: Bushie
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2014, 06:01:13 AM »

If this job is in OKC, can you just break the lease in Tulsa and move out of there, presumably paying some sort of penalty?  How high would such a penalty be?  Cheaper than maintaining two separate apartments for all this time?  Or is breaking the lease legally impossible?

You're assuming continuous employment for the next 3-6 months. The track record isn't good enough for an assumption like that, MM.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »

I have had a security clearance before, but it is not needed for this job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »

If this job is in OKC, can you just break the lease in Tulsa and move out of there, presumably paying some sort of penalty?  How high would such a penalty be?  Cheaper than maintaining two separate apartments for all this time?  Or is breaking the lease legally impossible?

You're assuming continuous employment for the next 3-6 months. The track record isn't good enough for an assumption like that, MM.

You're right, you cannot assume something that's not there.  However, I can do my best and by doing the things that I mentioned yesterday evening, I can make it 3-6 months of continuous employment, or longer.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »

It's still rather frustrating when you consider how many people with far better work histories than Jeff have to spend months or years unemployed before they finally get an offer.

Life is not fair.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »

You're right, you cannot assume something that's not there.  However, I can do my best and by doing the things that I mentioned yesterday evening, I can make it 3-6 months of continuous employment, or longer.

Your challenge will be to actually do them, and until you actually respond to it, I'll continue to recommend the "Top 5" method for you as a way to hold yourself accountable to accomplishing things that will actually improve you. Talk is cheap, and you've done a lot of talking over the last several years -- oughta, gonna, wanna, then coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Life is not fair.

What an egotistical and prideful response. You so often lament harsh responses to your innumerable struggles, yet -- because you're on top of the world today -- you've no understanding of others'.

On the other hand ... I certainly understand what you're saying, Indy, but are those same people doing what we so fervently prompt Jeff to do? Are they accepting jobs they may think are beneath them so they can make ends meet? I know a lot of people (myself included) have an incredibly hard time thinking they're worth any less than $XXX,XXX, so they may stay unemployed rather than be underemployed.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »

Life is not fair.

R-OK
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »

I'll agree that was a prideful response.  I apologize if it offended anybody.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »

I made it back to Tulsa at 1000 and have been busy finishing the paperwork for employment.  I will get my drug test done here at 1300 and then I'm headed back home until church time tonight.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »

I am #praying that you pass the drug test
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »

Wouldn't it be typical Update satire if his drug cocktail for his Grade 8 ailments combined makes his urine sample seem like meth?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »

What's funny is everyone here thinks I'm being lazy and not actively looking for a job and napping all day or watching 15 hours of TV everyday.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.

That was obviously a typo.  I meant to say "should not need a nap".

Everybody (except Gustaf) wants me to succeed

Add me to that, please.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »

Because of the job, I am back down at my parents for the night as I came back to talk strategy. 

Oh I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that talk.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »

Because of the job, I am back down at my parents for the night as I came back to talk strategy.

Oh I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that talk.

Me too! I love how the Bushie family always meet to talk strategy face to face. God forbid they speak on the phone.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

Me too! I love how the Bushie family always meet to talk strategy face to face. God forbid they speak on the phone.

Maybe this one will be an intervention!  Cheesy
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »

My God I heart Bushie's sister-in-law.......she hammered him again today.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »

What about this time, Gramps?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »

Bushie was saying how proud he was that he paid a bill today. Turns out his parents are the ones who paid for it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »

lol #ClassicBushie
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies