Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 150890 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »

You are telling me that you dont own a pair of khakis or can't buy something off the rack.  You dont need a bloody tailor...

I've got 3 pair of slacks, I need one more to be comfortable.  I usually wear one pair twice depending on how dirty or sweaty I get.

Holy $hit, do a load of laundry mid week and stop wasting $.

He doesn't even have to do a load mid-week? If he has three then he can rotate them once in the week and be fine until the weekend. Come on Bushie.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/video/man-doesnt-know-how-parents-ever-going-to-pay-off,34657/
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »

I love Bushie. "I just paid off a bill!" when in reality his parents paid it off.

Why...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »

I think I was more self-reliant when I was 12 than Bushie is at 32.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »

Also, I like how he's going to drive to Tulsa on Friday's and live in that apartment for no reason.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »

The bills he could pay off with all the gas he wastes driving around constantly...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

2. Take a 20-minute walk
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?

He;s certainly the king of the mandane.  

I can't get over how they fit in several family dinners into one weekend.  
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:18 PM »

what was Bushie wearing at his previous job if he didn't have enough business casual clothes to last more than three days?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »

2. Take a 20-minute walk

Unnecessary car trips to do things that could be done online or over the phone...constant dinners to "visit" with distant relatives or church acquaintances...taking multiple medications throughout the day...occasionally getting up to move around...

...Jeff's typical daily routine mirrors that of a 70 year-old woman.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:25 PM »

what was Bushie wearing at his previous job if he didn't have enough business casual clothes to last more than three days?

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »

You are telling me that you dont own a pair of khakis or can't buy something off the rack.  You dont need a bloody tailor...

I've got 3 pair of slacks, I need one more to be comfortable.  I usually wear one pair twice depending on how dirty or sweaty I get.

Why the f*** do you need to go shopping with mommy?  You're THIRTY F***** TWO..

Secndly, FFS why the F*** do you need to have your pants hemmed??  If its a suit, ok I get it, but for Business Casaul? WTF??

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

You are telling me that you dont own a pair of khakis or can't buy something off the rack.  You dont need a bloody tailor...

I've got 3 pair of slacks, I need one more to be comfortable.  I usually wear one pair twice depending on how dirty or sweaty I get.

Why the f*** do you need to go shopping with mommy?  You're THIRTY F***** TWO..

Secndly, FFS why the F*** do you need to have your pants hemmed??  If its a suit, ok I get it, but for Business Casaul? WTF??

Only swine who deserve minimum wage wear untailored pants off the rack. The Crown Prince of OKC deserves only the best.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2014, 11:20:50 PM by Smash255 »

WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too small for Bushie
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »

Also, if he's just going to live with his parents/grandmother why even care about making $10 or $15/hr? There is no easing of burden here.

So many questions I have.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »

I'm glad I had lunch BEFORE those shorts gave me an image I want removed with fire and/or acid.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »

Btw, anyone else find it hard to respond to Bushie here in update without cursing?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #292 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:27 PM »

2. Take a 20-minute walk

Unnecessary car trips to do things that could be done online or over the phone...constant dinners to "visit" with distant relatives or church acquaintances...taking multiple medications throughout the day...occasionally getting up to move around...

My guess is that the constant listing is an attempt to look busy ... "Look at how much stuff I have to do!" ... when in reality, so much of it is unproductive or what most of us would consider "sidebar activities," like buying pants. I think we're in for another round of avoiding productivity or positive change and hoping to go unnoticed.

And Jeff, I don't know what government office will be open on Saturday, November 1, so you can vote. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think early voting is handled in a government office of some sort (it is in Kansas, anyway), and those people are even more clock-bound than you are.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: October 23, 2014, 12:00:16 AM »

Early voting started on Monday here in Texas. I have no idea what OK's schedule is like but I'd think Jeff would have enough opportunities to vote that he wouldn't have to make a separate trip to Tulsa for the purpose. Or maybe Oklahoma is so right-wing these days that they eschew early voting to avoid the possibility that "those people" might try to vote.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »

2. Take a 20-minute walk

My guess is that the constant listing is an attempt to look busy ... "Look at how much stuff I have to do!" ... when in reality, so much of it is unproductive or what most of us would consider "sidebar activities," like buying pants. I think we're in for another round of avoiding productivity or positive change and hoping to go unnoticed.

And Jeff, I don't know what government office will be open on Saturday, November 1, so you can vote. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think early voting is handled in a government office of some sort (it is in Kansas, anyway), and those people are even more clock-bound than you are.

From the Oklahoma Board of Elections

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.ok.gov/elections/Early_Voting.html
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

Btw, anyone else find it hard to respond to Bushie here in update without cursing?

Nigh on impossible. God bless the IRC.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: October 23, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »

And just so we're clear, Jeff, if you're going to be staying with Grandma, you will provide her with some form of compensation - be it monetary or in-kind such as mowing the yard - and she will not perform any domestic duties like laundry or cleaning for you. That woman already spent half her life raising her own kids; she doesn't need to spend the other half raising her kids' kids. At the very least, let's aim for a situation where she's no worse off for having you than if you weren't there.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #297 on: October 23, 2014, 12:26:11 AM »

His mom still takes him pants shopping? What did you wear to your previous job?

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »

His mom still takes him pants shopping? What did you wear to your previous job?

It's a guess, but I'm going to say something... elasticated.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #299 on: October 23, 2014, 02:12:37 AM »

And just so we're clear, Jeff, if you're going to be staying with Grandma, you will provide her with some form of compensation - be it monetary or in-kind such as mowing the yard - and she will not perform any domestic duties like laundry or cleaning for you. That woman already spent half her life raising her own kids; she doesn't need to spend the other half raising her kids' kids. At the very least, let's aim for a situation where she's no worse off for having you than if you weren't there.

You know the woman will have to wait on him hand and foot. Poor thing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies