Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 150876 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2014, 02:50:37 AM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?

He;s certainly the king of the mandane.  

I can't get over how they fit in several family dinners into one weekend.  

Unnecessary car trips to do things that could be done online or over the phone...constant dinners to "visit" with distant relatives or church acquaintances...taking multiple medications throughout the day...occasionally getting up to move around...

...Jeff's typical daily routine mirrors that of a 70 year-old woman.

Well, is not Bushie's current social circle 50% little old ladies?  (Our Dear Friend, Mama Bushie, Papa Bushie, Granny)?

I get family time, but it doesn't seem like he's even trying to have a life with the church friends.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:57 AM »

Poor Granny.  More guests. More work.  RIP.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2014, 08:24:09 AM »

Did you guys have fun making fun of me overnight?  The stuff I'm going to be doing maybe strange to some, but no one can say they are really wrong.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »

Did you guys have fun making fun of me overnight?  The stuff I'm going to be doing maybe strange to some, but no one can say they are really wrong.

Oh Bushie.  Making fun of hanging with Granny, Mom, and Dad is lighthearted teasing at the worst.  Have you not been spending a ton of time with the family? 

We all know you're a strange bird in some respects.  No doubt about that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: October 23, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »

Oh Bushie.  Making fun of hanging with Granny, Mom, and Dad is lighthearted teasing at the worst.  Have you not been spending a ton of time with the family? 

We all know you're a strange bird in some respects.  No doubt about that.

I'm not upset about anything here, I know it's light hearted.  I was just asking if you all had fun. Smiley
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #306 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »

Bushie does not plan to thrive until the afterlife.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »

So he only has to wait 7-10 years.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »

He'll be disappointed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »

Will you nap everyday until your new job starts?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

Naps are fine.  opebo liked naps and he's literally the opposite of Bushie. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »

Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?

I am going to go to work everyday and put everything I have into my new job.  I will hang out with my church family in both OKC and Tulsa when I can, so long as it doesn't interfere with my job.  My job comes first.  I will also continue to hang out with my biological family as we are a very close knit group.  I will also continue to read my Bible every night (though I've slacked off the past few weeks) and see what God has to say to me each night.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »

I napped today, and I will probably continue to take naps, but taper them off as the job gets closer (like the last half of next week).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

Naps included, how many hours does Bushie sleep on average per day? 10? 12?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »

Naps included, how many hours does Bushie sleep on average per day? 10? 12?

Where do we honestly think Our Dear Friend fits on the cat-sloth sleep continuum? 

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #315 on: October 23, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »

guys bushie needs to conserve energy now that the temperature is dropping and we're entering the winter months, if he doesn't sleep 15-16 hours per day he will die.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: October 23, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

Bushie, do you plan on using your Tulsa apartment as a weekend love cave for a potential new woman? Perhaps finally create a Bushie Jr. to get your child tax credit going?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #317 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

You guys are funny. Smiley

I talked with my recruiter and she told me all we are waiting on is my background check and drug test which should both come back either tomorrow or Monday.  When those come back, I will get the employment documents (I-9, W-4, etc.) and once I submit those, I will get the official start instructions.  I know I will start on November 3 at 8 am, but she will e-mail me all the start instructions once all the other paperwork is completed.  So, I should get the start instructions somewhere between the end of the day tomorrow or end of the day Monday or sometime Tuesday.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: October 23, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

Bushie, do you plan on using your Tulsa apartment as a weekend love cave for a potential new woman? Perhaps finally create a Bushie Jr. to get your child tax credit going?

I might, if there were a woman on the radar.  So far, there is not.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #319 on: October 23, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »

woohoo
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #320 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

Yea.  Another season of incessant updates from work and going pants shopping with Grandma at Wal-Mart.  Riveting. 

When does Allison come back into the picture?  Is being a CADDman impressive? 
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #321 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »

I am going to go to work everyday and put everything I have into my new job.  I will hang out with my church family in both OKC and Tulsa when I can, so long as it doesn't interfere with my job.  My job comes first.  I will also continue to hang out with my biological family as we are a very close knit group.  I will also continue to read my Bible every night (though I've slacked off the past few weeks) and see what God has to say to me each night.

I would suggest you try the daily list to hold yourself accountable to progress. "Putting everything I have into my job" is a pipe dream without actions to determine what it takes to reach that level.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: October 23, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

I would suggest you try the daily list to hold yourself accountable to progress. "Putting everything I have into my job" is a pipe dream without actions to determine what it takes to reach that level.

I've already mentioned a couple times what I am going to differently.  I am not going to repeat it again.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #323 on: October 23, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »

I've already mentioned a couple times what I am going to differently.  I am not going to repeat it again.

Then you've missed the point of the original post, which was a daily task list that helps you to achieve things like "do well at my job." Don't get cute with me, Jeff -- I'm legitimately trying to help you and you throw it back as if you've got a record of success to rub my nose in. You don't.

You'd do well to listen to SOMEONE for a change. It's a system I personally use and I can promise you it makes a difference. You're ignoring it entirely, which is why I'm saying there is no difference from what you've said before. When have you not said "I'm going to put my all into this job?" That's not what's in question -- it's the actions you will take, both regular and varied, on a daily basis to make it happen.

Why you outright ignore or reject the advice of successful people (and I'm referring to a system used by people far more successful than me) is a mystery.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #324 on: October 23, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »

I was on Monster looking at jobs today and they had an ad for call center work.  I guess even out here, far from any Oklahomans, people work in call centers. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies