Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:31:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 150925 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: October 23, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »

bushie it sounds like you are just going to be a burden on poor granny.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #326 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

Among the litany of issues you may have Jeff, execution is chief among them.

You do have a vision for yourself -- from what I can tell, it's to be an independent provider, a head-of-household who puts in a Dick van Dyke style day, comes home after a solid eight hours to trip over the ottoman and into the arms of your housewife and your 2.4 children, waiting for you in your modest ranch-style house with the white picket fence.

The problem is, vision without execution is worthless. Anyone can say that they know they need to practice the skills they need to build a career. Anyone can say they need to exercise and lose weight. In fact, anyone can set an arbitrary goal associated with their vision -- even baby steps -- and if they don't actually do anything to work toward that goal or vision, it's worthless.

Jeff -- this is largely your modus operandi.

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You're not wrong to believe in yourself, and while I don't think you're anywhere near a good judge of your own abilities, it's not wrong to have a dream. But you're painfully bad at actually following through on, well, anything.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Jeff, I do hope you treat this opportunity better than the last and actually follow through on bettering yourself. Scoring a new position is not the end of your challenge; it's the beginning.

Will you at least try this method for a period of time (not say "that's a good idea!" and immediately dismiss or tell us "I'll think about it," but actually do it)? You can post your top five here and use the forum as an accountability tool, which would be an incredible benefit to you.

Now is about actions, not words or optimism or warm fuzzies or delusion. Action. What will you do to ensure your success from here on out?

What I am going to do differently is play with my AutoCAD every evening.  Like King suggested, I'm going to block off 45 minutes most every evening except Wednesday to play with it distraction free.  I will try to keep it at the same time or close to the same time every evening so it's easier to maintain.  While on the job, I will also pay more attention to detail and pay as close of attention as I can while they train me.  I want to do everything within my power to prove myself worthy of going the full contract and being put on another contract.  I learned a lot of things from my previous opportunity and plan to make a lot of changes.  This is not by any means an exhaustive list of things I'm going to do.  I've got a whole list worth that would take a couple long posts.  Instead, suffice it to say that I am going to take this job much more seriously than I did the last job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #327 on: October 23, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »

J-Mann, I will do things how I see fit to do them.  I can't promise to follow your checklist entirely.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #328 on: October 23, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »

I have to have a place to stay and I can't afford rent at two apartments, and I am not going to sublease the Tulsa Apartment, so I can't see how you can say something so outrageous, when you know darn well that will not be the case.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #329 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »

I have to have a place to stay and I can't afford rent at two apartments, and I am not going to sublease the Tulsa Apartment, so I can't see how you can say something so outrageous, when you know darn well that will not be the case.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #330 on: October 23, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

I really don't see why anyone would want to offer advice to Bushie. Apart from the fact that it clearly has no effect he doesn't deserve it.

Why not put energy into helping someone who is trying to be a good person?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »

Gustaf, it's clear you don't like me.  You have the right to like who you want.  I must disagree that I'm not trying to be a good person.  With the risk of bringing faith into this, I am doing my best to worship and honor and glorify my God.  I fall short in many, many areas, and I have never said I'm perfect and have never meant I'm better than anybody else.  You are right that I'm not a good person.  There is no one good, except God, in the truest sense of the word that He created.  He is the only definition of good.  Our definitions of what is good and our good works are indeed filthy rags in His sight.  That's why I'm so thankful for His grace that has cleansed me from all unrighteousness and has saved me from eternity in hell.  I know that through the lens of Christ's blood, I am seen as spotless.  That's the only way I can enter heaven.

I appreciate your honesty, and I've always respected you as a moderator because I've always seen you as fair even to those you do not personally like.

Yours truly,

Bushie
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #332 on: October 23, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »

lol
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #333 on: October 23, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 10:06:53 PM by politicus »

Gustaf, it's clear you don't like me.  You have the right to like who you want.  I must disagree that I'm not trying to be a good person.  With the risk of bringing faith into this, I am doing my best to worship and honor and glorify my God.  I fall short in many, many areas, and I have never said I'm perfect and have never meant I'm better than anybody else.  You are right that I'm not a good person.  There is no one good, except God, in the truest sense of the word that He created. He is the only definition of good.  Our definitions of what is good and our good works are indeed filthy rags in His sight.  That's why I'm so thankful for His grace that has cleansed me from all unrighteousness and has saved me from eternity in hell.  I know that through the lens of Christ's blood, I am seen as spotless.  That's the only way I can enter heaven.

I appreciate your honesty, and I've always respected you as a moderator because I've always seen you as fair even to those you do not personally like.

Yours truly,

Bushie

The only definition of ultimate goodness (for a Christian), but clearly there are good people out there and you make it too easy for yourself by just emphasising the dichotomy between God and us sinful humans. You could clearly get much closer to being a good person and act less egotistical - be careful not to use God as an excuse for not pursuing any self improvement.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #334 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »

Gustaf, it's clear you don't like me.  You have the right to like who you want.  I must disagree that I'm not trying to be a good person.  With the risk of bringing faith into this, I am doing my best to worship and honor and glorify my God.  I fall short in many, many areas, and I have never said I'm perfect and have never meant I'm better than anybody else.  You are right that I'm not a good person.  There is no one good, except God, in the truest sense of the word that He created. He is the only definition of good.  Our definitions of what is good and our good works are indeed filthy rags in His sight.  That's why I'm so thankful for His grace that has cleansed me from all unrighteousness and has saved me from eternity in hell.  I know that through the lens of Christ's blood, I am seen as spotless.  That's the only way I can enter heaven.

Yours truly,

Bushie

The only definition of ultimate goodness (for a Christian), but clearly there are good people out there and you make it too easy for yourself by just emphasising the dichotomy between God and us sinful humans. You cold clearly get much closer to being a good person and act less egotistical - be careful not to use God as an excuse for not pursuing any self improvement.

I will admit I am a very prideful person by nature.  It's one of the things I struggle with.  It is hard for me to act less egotistical, but I am trying.  I just fail way too many times and repeat the same mistakes over and over.  I take 3 steps forward and 2 1/2 steps back many times.  When I come across as egotistical, it's because it is something I am dealing with between me and God.  As the children's song goes "Don't judge me, yet, there's an unfinished part.  He's still working on me.".  God is still working on me, chiseling away the bad and molding me into the Jeff that He has called me to be.  I'm a tough project and my God is the only one that truly knows me and the only one who can properly mold me and make me.  He knows me better than I know myself (the forum says "Amen", LOL).  He will be working on me until the day I am called home to heaven and receive that perfect, immortal body that is waiting for me.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #335 on: October 23, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »

Jeff, are you a 10 year old at recess? No, Good. Then don't play at your AutoCADD, work at it damn it.  In the words of the great philosopher, Never Half-Ass Two Things, Whole-Ass One Thing
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #336 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »

Hence the issue with people like Bushie. They don't make plans or work incrementally towards goals, because they think there is an individual plan that God has determined. Why work on yourself, when God will do it for you?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #337 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

I was wondering when we would get our next Christian diatribe from Mr. Brown.  I see tonight it's "clean through the lens of Christ's blood."  It's a lovely turn of phrase and I thoroughly enjoy it every time.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #338 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »

J-Mann, I will do things how I see fit to do them.  I can't promise to follow your checklist entirely.

"Do things how [you] see fit to do them." How's that working out for you? I'm trying to tell you that your "plans" aren't action-oriented, which will be what's required to truly improve. The one semi-decent one you've stated is to "play with AutoCAD for 45 minutes each night," and even that is weak. "Pay attention to detail at work" is vague nonsense.

You don't have to post it here (you're obviously afraid to make any commitment that could result in me or anyone else holding you accountable); just try to think in action-oriented terms.

Don't commit to "playing with AutoCAD." Challenge yourself to "Study and master the associative array functionality."

Don't commit to "paying attention to detail." Challenge yourself to "Work with my supervisor to create a detail review checklist to use prior to any drawing submissions."

Sometimes items stay on your list for days, or weeks. Sometimes you knock them out in a day. The important thing is that you take action to build toward those larger things that you need to do.

God is still working on me, chiseling away the bad and molding me into the Jeff that He has called me to be.  I'm a tough project and my God is the only one that truly knows me and the only one who can properly mold me and make me.

I know this has been said ad nauseam: I really think sometimes God is trying to speed up your molding by putting you in contact with people who can truly help. You're just too stubborn to accept that.

Jeff, are you a 10 year old at recess? No, Good. Then don't play at your AutoCADD, work at it damn it.  In the words of the great philosopher, Never Half-Ass Two Things, Whole-Ass One Thing

Yes. This. Like.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: October 23, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »

Hence the issue with people like Bushie. They don't make plans or work incrementally towards goals, because they think there is an individual plan that God has determined. Why work on yourself, when God will do it for you?

it is a team effort.  God and me.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »

J-Mann,  I will get more specific when I actually get into the job and figure out what I need to work on.  For now, I can only be general and vague.  Pay attention to detail is as specific as I can get at this point.

Look guys, I was just trying to be honest and candid with Gustaf and politicus.  Why did I get attacked for that?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #341 on: October 23, 2014, 08:38:59 PM »

Then one of you clearly isn't pulling his weight. And since God doesn't make mistakes, that leaves you by process of elimination. Last I checked, Jeff, Christ didn't sleep for 11 hours a day and gorge himself on fried foods and mooch off the room/board/food/kindness/money of his relatives. Christ had to spend several hours nailed to a cross with a crown of thorns on his head while being mocked and jeered by his captors. You started crying like a little girl when a cat scratched you.

So please spare us your sanctimony. You use your religion to justify all of your completely preventable personal failures. Through the lens of Christ's blood you're spotless? That's just a holier-than-thou way of saying, "Bushie can never fail. Bushie can only be failed."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »

God is doing his part: giving you a few potential wives, giving decent entry level jobs, giving you a family with the resources to fund your education, your boarding, your trips to kenya. And you've done nothing but be lazy and waste every opportunity.

Lousy teamwork.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #343 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »

I found a fourth pair of pants, so it looks like I won't have to go shopping, which means I won't need my aunt to take them up.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #344 on: October 23, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »

RIP Auntie Bushie
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »

Then one of you clearly isn't pulling his weight. And since God doesn't make mistakes, that leaves you by process of elimination. Last I checked, Jeff, Christ didn't sleep for 11 hours a day and gorge himself on fried foods and mooch off the room/board/food/kindness/money of his relatives. Christ had to spend several hours nailed to a cross with a crown of thorns on his head while being mocked and jeered by his captors. You started crying like a little girl when a cat scratched you.

So please spare us your sanctimony. You use your religion to justify all of your completely preventable personal failures. Through the lens of Christ's blood you're spotless? That's just a holier-than-thou way of saying, "Bushie can never fail. Bushie can only be failed."

You completely missed my point and completely misread my post.  I never said I'm flawless.  I struggle like every other human being.  Through the lens of Christ's blood He sees every Christian as spotless, not just me.  You are making me out to be more egotistical than I am.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #346 on: October 23, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »

Guys, Bushie didn't teach himself this nonsense.  We want to pile on Jeff, and its not 100% either way, but a lot of what he's taught is very harmful.  He, nor any religious is conditioned to question it, but it's true.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #347 on: October 23, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »

Very early days, but 'The Fourth Pair of Pants' should be a contender for the title of Update XIX.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #348 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »

The Four Pants of the CADpocalyspe
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »

I am very excited about this job.  If I do it correctly, it could lead into a major breakthrough in my career.  Instead of predicting my failure, continue to give me constructive advice on how to do it correctly like J-Mann has done.  I still may push back, but I do read and ponder what you post.  This is a huge opportunity for me and I can't afford to screw it up.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies