Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:08:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 150924 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: November 02, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »

Protestants are horrible tippers, Lief.  I think it has a lot to do with their fire and brimstone lean when it comes to how the faith is practiced.  A lot of finger-pointing towards inferior sinners.  They deserve their just reward for being so low on the totem pole; and as you know, in conservative America, being poor is wrong.  

Catholics on the other hand always tipped me very well, because they are good at focusing on Jesus and Mary and not the jealous God.  If you focus on Jesus, and do it correctly, you HAVE to tip well... there's no way around it.  Episcopalians are very good at tipping, too, because they are Catholic in all but name, essentially.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #926 on: November 02, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »

The thing about chain restaurants that I think you are all forgetting is that portion sizes there are usually enormous. I suspect that is the real reason the Brown family frequents them exclusively.

That certainly plays into it.

How much does the Clan Bushie tip, I wonder?  In my experience, as a pizza guy in high school and valet in college, the biggest Christians tip horribly.

We My parents tip based on the service we receive, but usually try to give at least 10-15% unless they are absolutely horrible.

Like I said...

You do understand that servers, for whatever reason, are allowed to be paid far below minimum wage, must deal with many tables and people at a time, are worked ghastly hours, and still have to live off the relative generosity of others, right?  What the hell would qualify as "absolutely horrible" if they get the food to you?  The food is gonna be ready when it's ready, and that has nothing to do with the servers.  I don't ever give less than 25% unless the server literally slapped me across the face.

Don't harangue Bushie about tipping. It's not like it's ever been his money, anyway.

The next post I implored him to bring up a tip hike to his parents on moral grounds.  If they can't afford it then why are they eating out so damn much?  

Ah, I missed that. I mean, 15% would be okay assuming they rack up a $100 food tab somewhere perhaps, but we all know they're just swimming around in the Chocolate Fountain at Golden Corral, destroying profit margins as-is. Personally, I usually tip around 30% (because I'm dainty, don't eat much and usually eat frugally when out anyway).

I tip 25-30% because I understand how one person can make your night if you are a tip-slave.  And I don't mean just in monetary terms.  A good tip can really put you in a good mood, which is almost as valuable as anything in a serving job.   
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #927 on: November 02, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »

They also hold the tithe in the Bible as a major excuse to be cheap with everyone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #928 on: November 02, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »

Jesus, Hokey, breathe a bit. Your becoming Inks-like here.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #929 on: November 02, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »

I said it's a very big pet peeve of mine, Uncle Gramps.  I admit I get worked up over it.  It'd be different if I didn't own it on this issue.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #930 on: November 02, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »

Just be glad he's making declarative statements, instead of peppering Bushie with questions like The Riddler.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #931 on: November 02, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »

The thing about chain restaurants that I think you are all forgetting is that portion sizes there are usually enormous. I suspect that is the real reason the Brown family frequents them exclusively.

How much does the Clan Bushie tip, I wonder?  In my experience, as a pizza guy in high school and valet in college, the biggest Christians tip horribly.

Papa Bushie can't tip in excess, hockey. How on earth would he be able to invest in his train room if all his non-Bushie/mama money was going to the pizza guy, and the chili's waitress?

If you can't afford to tip well, you don't go out to eat.  That simple.  It infuriates me how many people go out to eat and then say "Oh I'm sorry, we don't have to money to tip much more than a couple bucks".  It's the most BS thing you can imagine and indicative of a spoiled, indulgent culture that also displays all the worst elements of greed and selfishness. 

Yes, improper tipping happens to be a huge pet peeve of mine. 

Bushie, tell mom and dad that you should be upping that tip to 20%.  It's not Northeastern arrogance or new-timey ignorance, but simply a pure moral argument.  Imagine trying to support a family or household or yourself on the bare-ass minimum of what's socially acceptable to tip?  Would Jesus condone that [Inks]?

I wholeheartedly agree. I myself tip at least 20-25% and if my bill wasn't much I'll almost always go over 50%. My point was, is that papa has had to fund his adult son and wife for years, and we know he's not a skilled cook. Thus meaning he's strapped for cash and often eats at chain restaurants. When you're strapped for cash you aren't going to tip well. Even if we all agree he shouldn't eat out if he can't tip, it isn't going to happen.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #932 on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »

Papa Bushie can't tip in excess, hockey. How on earth would he be able to invest in his train room if all his non-Bushie/mama money was going to the pizza guy, and the chili's waitress?

If you can't afford to tip well, you don't go out to eat.  That simple.  It infuriates me how many people go out to eat and then say "Oh I'm sorry, we don't have to money to tip much more than a couple bucks".  It's the most BS thing you can imagine and indicative of a spoiled, indulgent culture that also displays all the worst elements of greed and selfishness. 

Yes, improper tipping happens to be a huge pet peeve of mine. 

Bushie, tell mom and dad that you should be upping that tip to 20%.  It's not Northeastern arrogance or new-timey ignorance, but simply a pure moral argument.  Imagine trying to support a family or household or yourself on the bare-ass minimum of what's socially acceptable to tip?  Would Jesus condone that [Inks]?

I wholeheartedly agree. I myself tip at least 20-25% and if my bill wasn't much I'll almost always go over 50%. My point was, is that papa has had to fund his adult son and wife for years, and we know he's not a skilled cook. Thus meaning he's strapped for cash and often eats at chain restaurants. When you're strapped for cash you aren't going to tip well. Even if we all agree he shouldn't eat out if he can't tip, it isn't going to happen.

That is the ultimate statement on all things Update... the point is that we try. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #933 on: November 02, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »

What a despicable human being Bushie is.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #934 on: November 02, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

20%? 50%? WTF?

Few things do I despise more than American tipping culture. Just raise the damn prices and pay the waiters properly.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #935 on: November 02, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »

Tipping 10% is not enough in the US? It seems I've learnt something today!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #936 on: November 02, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

A tip in the United States is not a bonus reward but the sole income of the waiter.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #937 on: November 02, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »

A tip in the United States is not a bonus reward but the sole income of the waiter.

That's what people treat it as, though.  America has a huge problem with treating people who are perceived to be "lower on the totem pole" like complete [Inks].
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #938 on: November 02, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »

20%? 50%? WTF?

Few things do I despise more than American tipping culture. Just raise the damn prices and pay the waiters properly.

I agree, but we live under the iron fist of free market capitalism, Franzl.  As long as there are families like Bushie's that go to chain restaurants for half their meals it will never change. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #939 on: November 02, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »

20%? 50%? WTF?

I agree, but we live under the iron fist of free market capitalism, Franzl.  As long as there are families like Bushie's that go to chain restaurants for half their meals it will never change. 

I mean, I see the point of a small tip for reasonable service (although here you normally just round up, like from 28€ to 30€), but what happens in the US seems extremely dishonest. If I see something on the menu for $20, then tax is added....and a 20% tip, and I'm not far from $30 when all is said and done.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #940 on: November 02, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »

20%? 50%? WTF?

I mean, I see the point of a small tip for reasonable service (although here you normally just round up, like from 28€ to 30€), but what happens in the US seems extremely dishonest. If I see something on the menu for $20, then tax is added....and a 20% tip, and I'm not far from $30 when all is said and done.

Yup, that doesn't change the fact that Smilin' Steve doesn't eat this week unless I display the requisite generosity.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #941 on: November 02, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »

20%? 50%? WTF?

Yup, that doesn't change the fact that Smilin' Steve doesn't eat this week unless I display the requisite generosity.

I know, and I try to consider that when in the US. Still feels like I'm being ripped off.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #942 on: November 02, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »

For the longest, 15% was considered "standard", but more and more of the conservative class as of late seem to want to insist that "I'm only going to tip if the service was excellent because muh free market and earning stuff and blah blah blah!" as a way to be cheap and to make a statement while dining. The problem is that in almost every state, the minimum wage for servers is ~$2.15/hour.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #943 on: November 02, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »

Luckily not true in Minnesota. Though it's not like $7.75/hour is great either.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #944 on: November 02, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »

Freedom state.  I would still tip 20%.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #945 on: November 02, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »

My brother went to school in Grand Forks, ND. He talked about how getting a job at a restaurant or bar in East Grand Forks, which is in Minnesota was considered a great deal because of that and far better than in Grand Forks. Unfortunately East Grand Forks is a small town with nowhere near as many establishments.

Also Tom Emmer in 2010 openly campaigned for dropping tipped employees to a lower minimum wage...prick.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #946 on: November 02, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »

My brother went to school in Grand Forks, ND. He talked about how getting a job at a restaurant or bar in East Grand Forks, which is in Minnesota was considered a great deal because of that and far better than in Grand Forks. Unfortunately East Grand Forks is a small town with nowhere near as many establishments.

Also Tom Emmer in 2010 openly campaigned for dropping tipped employees to a lower minimum wage...prick.

Wow.  Literally campaigning to drop a servers' wages.  The GOP is abominable. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #947 on: November 02, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »

enough f'ing tip talk.

bushie how is your autocadd project coming along for pappa bushie?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #948 on: November 02, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »

enough f'ing tip talk.

Papa Bushie didn't give him a deadline, so he will literally never finish it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #949 on: November 02, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »

enough f'ing tip talk.

Papa Bushie didn't give him a deadline, so he will literally never finish it.

Yes, it was a "side project" while he watches football.

If Bushie even manages to create a blank file titled Dad's Trains.cadd, he deserves a standing ovation for exceeding expectations.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies