Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 27, 2024, 12:20:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 75
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 146999 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: November 17, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »

I only worked five hours today, but I got a lot done in those five hours.  I started this latest project around lunch time on Friday and was able to get 7 drawings done in the four hours Friday afternoon.  This afternoon, I was able to knock out 9 more drawings.  All done correctly, too.  There are still 30 drawings left in this current project.  My lead will likely have me switch to something else either tomorrow or Wednesday while other workers continue on with the project I am doing now.  The goal is to get 2 projects moving forward at the same time.  I will pick up where I left off today when I get in tomorrow, and I imagine the change will come around lunch time or so as we have yet another a new person starting tomorrow at 0800.

So, can you take some pride in the fact that maybe ... just maybe ... you chose to earn money, complete more work and potentially position yourself to further your career by showing dedication when others didn't?

This is a much more refreshing update than the "pleasant surprise" child-like response from this morning.

It does feel good, to be honest, Jesse.  I really do like this job and I want to see it fulfill all the promises that it has for me.  I know God can use this job to further my professional life and my witness for Him if I would just stop getting in my own way.  My brother really hit the nail on the head in his response to a Facebook post from earlier today - "Start putting your job first."  I'm still taking it one day at a time, but for tonight, I can sleep peacefully knowing that I refused to waste an entire day and chose to further my career no matter if my peers were there or not.  I look to do the same thing tomorrow!

You know one of the things that infuriates the people who have genuinely tried to help you is that you have heard this from us for literally years. Yet an offhand Facebook post from your brother is the one that clicks for you.

Whatever it takes, but this is why I'm losing patience with you. You rarely listen and learn.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1676 on: November 17, 2014, 11:07:28 PM »

I only worked five hours today, but I got a lot done in those five hours.  I started this latest project around lunch time on Friday and was able to get 7 drawings done in the four hours Friday afternoon.  This afternoon, I was able to knock out 9 more drawings.  All done correctly, too.  There are still 30 drawings left in this current project.  My lead will likely have me switch to something else either tomorrow or Wednesday while other workers continue on with the project I am doing now.  The goal is to get 2 projects moving forward at the same time.  I will pick up where I left off today when I get in tomorrow, and I imagine the change will come around lunch time or so as we have yet another a new person starting tomorrow at 0800.

So, can you take some pride in the fact that maybe ... just maybe ... you chose to earn money, complete more work and potentially position yourself to further your career by showing dedication when others didn't?

This is a much more refreshing update than the "pleasant surprise" child-like response from this morning.

It does feel good, to be honest, Jesse.  I really do like this job and I want to see it fulfill all the promises that it has for me.  I know God can use this job to further my professional life and my witness for Him if I would just stop getting in my own way.  My brother really hit the nail on the head in his response to a Facebook post from earlier today - "Start putting your job first."  I'm still taking it one day at a time, but for tonight, I can sleep peacefully knowing that I refused to waste an entire day and chose to further my career no matter if my peers were there or not.  I look to do the same thing tomorrow!

You know one of the things that infuriates the people who have genuinely tried to help you is that you have heard this from us for literally years. Yet an offhand Facebook post from your brother is the one that clicks for you.

Whatever it takes, but this is why I'm losing patience with you. You rarely listen and learn.

Don't worry: you'll have plenty of chances to lose patience with him in a whole new old way tomorrow when he forgets that advice from his brother.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1677 on: November 17, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »

Bushie's Marian theology is terrible and disturbing.

Why is that?  Isn't he technically correct about that stuff?  (I don't think I have to elaborate on what I mean by "correct" in this instance, but anyhoo...)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1678 on: November 17, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »

How can anyone's theology be "disturbing" as long as it's not violent or anything? There is literally nothing wrong with any opinion over whether or not someone who lived 2000 years ago "sinned" or not.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1679 on: November 18, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »

Glad some of the Brown family members are starting to echo the advice we've been giving him for years.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1680 on: November 18, 2014, 02:38:36 AM »

How can anyone's theology be "disturbing" as long as it's not violent or anything? There is literally nothing wrong with any opinion over whether or not someone who lived 2000 years ago "sinned" or not.

It's disturbing not because it's wrong on the Immaculate Conception, although it is, but because it reduces Mary to a passive vessel with no real role or significance of her own. The Mother of God is not one of the axlotl tanks from Dune.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1681 on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »

Where are you guys getting these ages from?  Thin air?

You're dodging the question.  If she's giving you a home and making dinner for you, are you at least doing the dishes afterwards?

Yes

I'm calling bullshinks here.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1682 on: November 18, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »

It's disturbing not because it's wrong on the Immaculate Conception, although it is, but because it reduces Mary to a passive vessel with no real role or significance of her own. The Mother of God is not one of the axlotl tanks from Dune.

But what exactly would make that "disturbing"?  I guess you can consider it potentially misogynistic?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1683 on: November 18, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »

Where are you guys getting these ages from?  Thin air?

You're dodging the question.  If she's giving you a home and making dinner for you, are you at least doing the dishes afterwards?

Yes

I'm calling bullshinks here.

Does doing the dishes entail more than placing them in a dishwasher or dumping them in a sink of soapy water? 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1684 on: November 18, 2014, 07:58:09 AM »

Good morning, guys.  I'm about to leave for work at 0700.  It's not so much that my brother finally got to me, but he's reinforcing what many have said.

You may call God a pervert, but remember He created the people who created the laws.  He can do whatever He wants and no one can deny that.  History shows that Mary was probably a 14 year old girl.  If that happened by anybody else it would be a crime, but everyone agrees that God is above all worldly laws.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1685 on: November 18, 2014, 08:03:15 AM »

Good morning, guys.  I'm about to leave for work at 0700.  It's not so much that my brother finally got to me, but he's reinforcing what many have said.

You may call God a pervert, but remember He created the people who created the laws.  He can do whatever He wants and no one can deny that.  History shows that Mary was probably a 14 year old girl.  If that happened by anybody else it would be a crime, but everyone agrees that God is above all worldly laws.

Uh... I don't.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1686 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

"When God does it, that means it is not illegal."
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1687 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »

Uh... I don't.

He of course means everyone within his ridiculously purified social circle (or perhaps just all of Oklahoma). I have no idea what his Facebook is like, but I imagine it and his entire community is just filled with people who interject "AMEN!" and "HALLELUJAH" and "PRAISE HIM, GLORY" and every other variation you can think of into everything, no matter how (in)appropriate or irrelevant in context, including things where they just try to make selfishness, greed or other sinful behavior seem holy by adding a shoutout to God on the end of it.  I actually saw this come across my FB feed just a few minutes ago at the same time I was reading this, and thought to myself, "this would definitely be one of Bushie's "spiritual" counterparts if they lived in the same neighborhood (well, if she wasn't black; it is Oklahoma, after all):

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1688 on: November 18, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

History shows that Mary was probably a 14 year old girl. 
History doesn't show anything about Mary. That doesn't mean that she couldn't have existed either, but the New Testament isn't any more historical than Le Morte d'Arthur.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1689 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »

I'm not sure they had "legal" ages back in those days, either and where did you get 14?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1690 on: November 18, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »

History doesn't show anything about Mary. That doesn't mean that she couldn't have existed either, but the New Testament isn't any more historical than Le Morte d'Arthur.

Just given the social and societal norms of the time and overall shorter lifespans, she probably was young by today's standards. Jeff isn't wrong, in that historical context does point in that direction. "A 14-year-old girl" is rather specific, but the portrayal of her as a middle-aged white woman is as historically inaccurate as a blond-haired, blue-eyed Jesus.

What I find very disturbing is how so many Christians of his background shun history / historical context when it challenges beliefs but embrace it when it supports them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1691 on: November 18, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »

Girls were married off and knocked up at 13 all the time centuries ago. Even in early America.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1692 on: November 18, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »

And 1980s Oklahoma.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1693 on: November 18, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »

I don't see how any can claim Mary's exact age based on the Bible.

Now based on the standards of the time and that she was a virgin we can conclude that she was young but 14 is kind of specific. A statistical guess based on laws of averages and all that would put her at probably considered a minor in today's society but still above age of consent in most places (16-17)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1694 on: November 18, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

Uh... I don't.

He of course means everyone within his ridiculously purified social circle (or perhaps just all of Oklahoma). I have no idea what his Facebook is like, but I imagine it and his entire community is just filled with people who interject "AMEN!" and "HALLELUJAH" and "PRAISE HIM, GLORY" and every other variation you can think of into everything, no matter how (in)appropriate or irrelevant in context, including things where they just try to make selfishness, greed or other sinful behavior seem holy by adding a shoutout to God on the end of it.  I actually saw this come across my FB feed just a few minutes ago at the same time I was reading this, and thought to myself, "this would definitely be one of Bushie's "spiritual" counterparts if they lived in the same neighborhood (well, if she wasn't black; it is Oklahoma, after all):

That's basically from what I gathered what his Facebook feed is like. The exception being his sister-in-law who is the only person willing to call him out on the crap that to us is blatantly obvious and we do all the time.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1695 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2014, 12:24:58 PM by HockeyDude »

Just given the social and societal norms of the time and overall shorter lifespans, she probably was young by today's standards. Jeff isn't wrong, in that historical context does point in that direction. "A 14-year-old girl" is rather specific, but the portrayal of her as a middle-aged white woman is as historically inaccurate as a blond-haired, blue-eyed Jesus.

What I find very disturbing is how so many Christians of his background shun history / historical context when it challenges beliefs but embrace it when it supports them.

Why wouldn't they do everything they can to make their comfort mechanism more comforting?  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1696 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2014, 12:25:19 PM by HockeyDude »

Good morning, guys.  I'm about to leave for work at 0700.  It's not so much that my brother finally got to me, but he's reinforcing what many have said.

You may call God a pervert, but remember He created the people who created the laws.  He can do whatever He wants and no one can deny that.  History shows that Mary was probably a 14 year old girl.  If that happened by anybody else it would be a crime, but everyone agrees that God is above all worldly laws.

Uh... I don't.

He of course means everyone within his ridiculously purified social circle (or perhaps just all of Oklahoma). I have no idea what his Facebook is like, but I imagine it and his entire community is just filled with people who interject "AMEN!" and "HALLELUJAH" and "PRAISE HIM, GLORY" and every other variation you can think of into everything, no matter how (in)appropriate or irrelevant in context, including things where they just try to make selfishness, greed or other sinful behavior seem holy by adding a shoutout to God on the end of it.  I actually saw this come across my FB feed just a few minutes ago at the same time I was reading this, and thought to myself, "this would definitely be one of Bushie's "spiritual" counterparts if they lived in the same neighborhood (well, if she wasn't black; it is Oklahoma, after all):

They aren't being humble or thankful in any way at all.  They are simply gloating to everybody, "Look how wonderful and perfect god has made ME!"  Typical disgusting religious behavior.  
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1697 on: November 18, 2014, 12:05:01 PM »

Uh... I don't.

That's basically from what I gathered what his Facebook feed is like. The exception being his sister-in-law who is the only person willing to call him out on the crap that to us is blatantly obvious and we do all the time.

I used to as well, but we all know how that ended. He couldn't afford having me disgrace his good name by telling the truth about him. Oh well, at least there is his sister in law to do it.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1698 on: November 18, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »

But what exactly would make that "disturbing"?  I guess you can consider it potentially misogynistic?

Which I find disturbing.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1699 on: November 18, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »

What about religion isn't misogynistic? The whole ball of wax is about a small number of men (specifically) controlling a population.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies