Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:12:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 152336 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: October 19, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

I don't think the idea of this "vacation" is all that strange. My family never went on any elaborate trips together, and a few of our getaways involved long-ish drives and short stays. If that's the Brown family's idea of a good time, let them have it.

The specifics ... mainly the fact that their 32-year-old son tagged along and stayed in the same room ... are odd, but not unheard of. I've traveled with my parents to events at different times over the last decade.

The same room stuff is certainly a bit strange
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »

That was fast!!!  They told me it would take a week or two to get a decision.  However, I stopped here at the McDonalds on the turnpike headed to Tulsa and had a call from my recruiter saying they want to offer me the job!!!!  I, of course, accepted.  The call and email I received were already 25 minutes old so they must have deliberated for 10 minutes or so!!

Hope this works out for you, but if they are making a decision that fast.....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »

Bushie was saying how proud he was that he paid a bill today. Turns out his parents are the ones who paid for it.
Not surprised....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »

You are telling me that you dont own a pair of khakis or can't buy something off the rack.  You dont need a bloody tailor...

I've got 3 pair of slacks, I need one more to be comfortable.  I usually wear one pair twice depending on how dirty or sweaty I get.

Why the f*** do you need to go shopping with mommy?  You're THIRTY F***** TWO..

Secndly, FFS why the F*** do you need to have your pants hemmed??  If its a suit, ok I get it, but for Business Casaul? WTF??

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2014, 11:20:50 PM by Smash255 »

what was Bushie wearing at his previous job if he didn't have enough business casual clothes to last more than three days?

WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too small for Bushie
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »

Btw, anyone else find it hard to respond to Bushie here in update without cursing?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?

He;s certainly the king of the mandane.  

I can't get over how they fit in several family dinners into one weekend.  

Unnecessary car trips to do things that could be done online or over the phone...constant dinners to "visit" with distant relatives or church acquaintances...taking multiple medications throughout the day...occasionally getting up to move around...

...Jeff's typical daily routine mirrors that of a 70 year-old woman.

My guess is that the constant listing is an attempt to look busy ... "Look at how much stuff I have to do!" ... when in reality, so much of it is unproductive or what most of us would consider "sidebar activities," like buying pants. I think we're in for another round of avoiding productivity or positive change and hoping to go unnoticed.

And Jeff, I don't know what government office will be open on Saturday, November 1, so you can vote. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think early voting is handled in a government office of some sort (it is in Kansas, anyway), and those people are even more clock-bound than you are.

From the Oklahoma Board of Elections

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.ok.gov/elections/Early_Voting.html
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »

Terminating the lease might not be a bad idea. His credit rating is terrible anyway.

I wonder what reads worse, his credit rating or his resume
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »

I love how Bushie "checks on things" constantly. Like it's going to run away. Remember when he moved home from Utah to "check on his house" daily and never actually did it?

Wait wasn't there some bang fest in his house?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »

Bushie, you seem to have fallen for a common misconception. Revelation is the final book of the Christian New Testament, heavily steeped in obscure imagery. It was written by an unknown author during the first century CE.

You seem to be referring to events described in the best-selling apocalyptic thriller Left Behind, co-written by the American evangelical Chistian minister Tim LaHaye in the mid-90s and loosely inspired by imagery described in Revelation. It was made into a direct-to-video movie starring Kirk Cameron in 2000.

Revelation was written by the Apostle John, the same John that was a disciple of Jesus.

I have never read nor seen Left Behind, so this is all personal belief and study from what I read in Revelation.  Although, I do look at www.endtime.com and get a lot of guidance from them.  They are a Pentecostal organization based in Plano, Texas that is all about the end time.  I do not take them as knowing exactly what will happen, but a general guideline of what to expect.  They are the best interpretation of Revelation that I have seen in a long time.
FFS
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »

No, unfortunately.  The AutoCAD computer is not set up, yet and even when it is later this week, we have company coming through for the first half of November, so I won't be able to use the computer with the AutoCAD until they all leave on November 15.

Roll Eyes

My sentiments exactly...

Why exactly does the presence of company make it impossible for you to prepare for the job for which you've claimed multiple times that you're going to actually work?

Because the computer will be at my grandmother's and that's where the company will be, too.  They will be using the bedroom that my computer is in.  I don't want to set it up here and then take it down two weeks later and move it.  First off, there's no room at my parents' for the computer.

And you can't set it up in your room because??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »

No, unfortunately.  The AutoCAD computer is not set up, yet and even when it is later this week, we have company coming through for the first half of November, so I won't be able to use the computer with the AutoCAD until they all leave on November 15.

Roll Eyes

My sentiments exactly...

Why exactly does the presence of company make it impossible for you to prepare for the job for which you've claimed multiple times that you're going to actually work?

Because the computer will be at my grandmother's and that's where the company will be, too.  They will be using the bedroom that my computer is in.  I don't want to set it up here and then take it down two weeks later and move it.  First off, there's no room at my parents' for the computer.

And you can't set it up in your room because??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »

I'm completely lost now. Where is bushie's computer? Where is he staying? Where does he sleep at his parents house now that his room has been turned into the train room?

^^^^

Bushie, are you staying with your grandma or with your parents now?….because I'm confused.

I'm staying at my parents' right now, but will move over to Grandma's in mid-November.  There is no room to set up my computer at my parents' without it being in the way, so I can't set it up here, I'll have to set it up at Grandma's and leave it.

Could you install the software on the computer you just used to type that??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »

Joe, that post might be the best post in the entire History of Update
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »

Hi, guys, it is lunch time.  My head still hurts, but it's not severe and is not stopping me today.  We are starting to get our changes starting to trickle in.  We received changes for four buildings from a base out west.  The lead drafter is having me experiment with a few things on those bases until he can get back to me around 1500.  These experiments won't become permanent on the drawing, so no need to worry.

Bushie, improve my day by saying you are having just one sandwich and water for lunch.

I'm not going to lie like that.  One sandwich plus water is jail food and would leave me starving and cause me to gorge myself on dinner.  That's an unreasonable request.

Slowly work your way down then.  Buy any dumbbells yet??
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »

Hi, guys, it is lunch time.  My head still hurts, but it's not severe and is not stopping me today.  We are starting to get our changes starting to trickle in.  We received changes for four buildings from a base out west.  The lead drafter is having me experiment with a few things on those bases until he can get back to me around 1500.  These experiments won't become permanent on the drawing, so no need to worry.

Bushie, improve my day by saying you are having just one sandwich and water for lunch.

I'm not going to lie like that.  One sandwich plus water is jail food and would leave me starving and cause me to gorge myself on dinner.  That's an unreasonable request.

Slowly work your way down then.  Buy any dumbbells yet??

I'm not going to go down that low.  2 sandwiches is bare minimum of what I need.  I haven't been able to buy any, yet.

That is why I said slowly.  Start at 2, then go down to 1 and 1/2 or hell 1 and 3/4 if you need to.  Drop down slightly, not saying going from 2 to 1 overnight.

As far as the dumbbells, you can get them for $20, what are you waiting for?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »

Patrick, first of all, thank you for not giving up on me when it'd be so easy and somewhat justified to do so.  I know things must change and change soon.  I've seen the scale go higher and I need to find a way to curb it.  All these family dinners that I have no control over are not helping, but I can't use that as an excuse.  One big thing is I've been having way too many regular sodas lately.  I need to switch exclusively (as far as pop goes) to Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Coke.  The reason I have sandwiches for lunch is it's the easiest thing to fix for lunch and is slightly better than Ramen or Mac & Cheese bowls.  I just have one small bag of chips and five cookies (usually fig newtons) for lunch with a Diet Dr Pepper.  Tonight for supper I had 3 ribs and a Diet Dr Pepper.  Nothing else.

People starving in famines have no control over how much they eat.  You most certainly do. No one is forcing you to "clean up the meat".  Eat slow and know when to put down the fork.  So you are broke right now and may not have many options, however, you have a computer and can keep track of the caloric level at the very least. You keep your calories down and put your exercise up, you will lose weight at your size. Even if you continue to eat poorly, you should still get some exercise in as it has positive mental impacts too.  With that said, Im going to go workout as its been couple of days. Indolence becomes a habit if you let it.

I can definitely limit myself to one plate at the dinners.  I am not saying that.  I just have no control over when these family dinners occur.

How would I go walk outside for 30 minutes in 30 degree weather, I don't get home until 1745 and it's already nearly pitch black outside.  The last thing I want to do is get back in the car and go to a mall (which there are none real close) and walk for 30 minutes.  That would end up taking 2 hours including the drive and I don't have much time in the evenings to begin with.  Outside of Saturday's, my schedule and location don't lend themselves to walking for 30 minutes.

Well you could start by not being a whiny pu$$y for a few hours.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to waste 2 hours of my night just to walk for 20 minutes.  I only get 4 hours between the time I get home and bed time and I am not going to throw away half of that driving all over creation just to find a lighted path to walk.

You can't just walk around your neighborhood?  Does Oklahoma not have street lights?  Anything nearby your office that you could walk around on a lunch break?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »

I'm way out in the country, a good distance away from the main suburbs and City of Oklahoma City so the streets aren't well lit.  My grandmother has a few more street lights near her as she is on a major US Highway, but the road is usually pretty busy even at night, especially at the hours I would want to walk.

Dallasfan, the 2 hours accounts for the 30-40 minute drive one way to the nearest mall.

Hell download a flashlight app on your phone if you walk in an area without much lights.  You don't need a walking path to walk, I go running at night around my neigborhood going up and down streets.  If I see a car I move to the side of the road.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »

Indiana Pacers vs. Miami Heat on ESPN.  That's what I'm watching tonight.

How could you stand a bright, loud television with a Grade 8 headache?

It's come way down since I got a 5 hour nap today.  It is now a Grade 4, occasionally Grade 5.  If it were still the way it was this morning, then I would be in bed right now.  As it is right now, it is moderate, at best.  That's a result of 1) prayer, 2) migraine pill, and 3) rest.  If it continues at this lower level, then there is no doubt I'll go in tomorrow.

WTF
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »

Yes. I seriously doubt Bushie has a special disease that makes the parameters of his headaches different than anyone else. He may not even have his mother's gene. He may have his fathers. It's hard to tell because he eats a diet that would give anybody a headache.

Until he starts drinking near a gallon water a day, eating spinach, mushrooms, avocados with every meal, and still has a headache, then he has a special disease. Otherwise, he's just being unhealthy.

Most health and scientific experts would probably agree not everybody reacts to the same things the exact same way.  It's part of what makes us unique individuals.  Caffeine may be a stimulant for some and a depressant for others.  Caffeine may cause headaches for some, and cure headaches for others.  God did not create everybody the exact same.  He created everybody different.  Nobody is exactly alike, not even identical, biological twins.  That's why the medical and pharmaceutical industries have created so many different medications to treat the same condition.  Not everybody responds to the exact same stimuli the exact same way.  I'm not saying I'm a special case, I'm just saying I am a unique individual.

So you don't require water? Your body is perfectly healthy in a state of constant dehydration?

Everybody requires water.  I will admit I haven't been getting enough lately.

OK. Then I'm assuming that your body works differently? That when you don't receive enough water, your brain tissue doesn't dehydrate to a degree?

My headaches might very well be caused by lack of water.  I've never denied that.  Something has to be causing them.

1.  Lack of Water

2.  Eating like s***

3.  Exercising even less than you drink water
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: Bushie is officially taking another day off from work.

He will be visiting his Indian doctor according to my sources (aka the facialbooks).

Don't worry his boss is "nice".  I just can't imagine what Bushie's resume looks like
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

The doctor just gave me a shot and sent me home.  I am going to try something new.  I'm going to try to stay busy and ignore my headache.  I'm going to work regardless tomorrow.
\
No you aren't, well you might go in, but you won't be there long.  You have been fired.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »

I'm curious what he means by "try something new." I doubt anything good, but I am curious.

Yes, more "experiments," like, "Maybe another Coke will make me feel better. And if that doesn't work, another extra. Or possibly a third trip to Braum's. Or another day off work. Or several more hours of television."

Seriously, Jeff -- does it bother you that your physical health is such a mess and your body such a wreck that you are crippled from working just a week into a new position? Does it bother you at all that you do nothing to improve your health?

It doesn't and that is the most f***** part of this whole thing.  He is okay with it and thinks its normal.

By the time he realizes it he will need a dozen pall-bearer's carrying his corpse
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »

Well, a power outage really would put the brakes on things. We lost our internet a few weeks ago, and I was pretty helpless. But Gramps is right, Jeff -- you seem to have a celebratory attitude about such things: snow days, power outages, etc. Those are bad things, you realize, because they're a total loss in productivity at a job AND hurting you financially, right?

Oh, and the Christmas thing ... not "wrong," but incredibly socially strange. You are an extreme outlier, sort of like if a 40-year-old only dated 16-year-olds because it was technically legal in his state. AND he makes a big deal about it. Not wrong. Just plain weird.

What are you doing to live your fullest for Jesus today and further his kingdom?

Perhaps the celebratory attitude was a bit excessive.  I should not have put the two exclamation points on there.  Whoops.  I spent the day about like I did last Wednesday when I was off for the headache - napping.  I decided to wake up because 1) I want to sleep tonight and 2) I am going to church in a few hours for dinner and the final Wednesday night service before Thanksgiving and the Advent Season.  Next week we are having our midweek service on Tuesday, a special Thanksgiving service, so families can have Wednesday night with family or preparing for the feast on Thursday or what not.  We are having our all church Thanksgiving Dinner this Sunday at 1700.  Last year's dinner was canceled due to wintry weather.  This time looks either dry or maybe just rain.

Granted I don't do it anymore since I am traveling on Wed before Thanksgiving, but that Wed should be far bar and club hopping.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »

My life is going very well right now, I am living my life enjoyably right now.  I have a darn good job and I have a great God and great friends.  I am not letting life pass me by.  For you or any one else to claim otherwise is absolutely asinine.  Yes, I'm a big boy, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying life.  I'm not overly worried about it and nor should I be.  I don't lose sleep over it (obviously).

Jeff, you're no doubt tolerating existence (I hesitate to call it a life, aside from what seems like a warm family life), but enjoying? How are you OK with these things:

- Your "great job" is a temp / contract position where you've missed 25 percent at least in less than three weeks. Granted, some of that wasn't your fault ... but some was. That means less money out of an already low-paying job (there's nothing wrong with the position itself ... it's just not allowing you to even get close to self-sufficiency based on the setup and the way you're treating it.)

- You are totally reliant on your family to care for you. If you are indeed mentally sound, as you claim, you should be ashamed and be working your ass off to get out from that situation (instead of napping, watching sports, etc.).

- You are in awful health. You're not a "big boy" and OK (that, by the way, is what obese children say to themselves because an idiot doting mother has said it to them) ... you're an obese adult who sees the truth staring him in the face and turns to another greasy cheeseburger to drown out the thought of doing anything to help yourself.

- Again, health. It's so bad that it impacts every single thing you do. Too tired to do much at any time (your weight is impacting your energy level and you very likely have sleep apnea because of your fat chest weighing on your lungs). You can't even sit without threat of injury.

- One more time -- health. You're not worried about it? Look in the mirror. Try to do 10 jumping jacks. Sit without hurting yourself. Try to spot your dick without looking in a mirror. Sleepy yet? Probably ... and it ought to worry the hell out of you.

I've come back to this so many times and you simply ignore it, but I don't understand how someone who can claim to "do everything I can to further God's kingdom" can justify the type of lifestyle you have.

You really think your God is OK with you being a sloth? When I ask you "what have you done to further God's kingdom today," I don't mean attending a church dinner or some cursory scan of a Bible. I mean what have you done to improve yourself so you can help others?

Things don't have to be perfect for me to enjoy life.  Sure, there are many things I would like to and need to change, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying life.  My job pays pretty good.  It pays $15.00 an hour which for a bachelor in Oklahoma is pretty good.  It is going to get me a lot closer to self-sustenance, because 1) it's more money than I've made in a long time, 2) It has the potential to be a longer term job than what I initially thought.  You have to count today as a full day because I went to work and was sent home due to an uncontrollable circumstance.  Had that circumstance not happened, I would have stayed all day.  With today counting as a full day, I have only missed two full days plus 90 minutes in the 13 days.  That's much more than 75% attendance.  So, I reject your notion that life is not enjoyable for me right now.  I never said things were perfect and you cannot equate the two.

Whether I count it as a full day or not doesn't matter. Did they pay you for it. That's what matters.

And I have no doubt you enjoy your life ... for reasons that harm others. Taking advantage of others. Contributing little to nothing. That's enjoyable, when all your basic needs are met and you don't have to do much of anything to ensure they are. Enjoyable does not equal right, and you know it.

Also, you ignored the health pieces entirely. Your back giving out WHILE YOU SIT should be a screaming wake-up call to you. You are a walking health nightmare and your complete acceptance of it WILL KILL YOU. That should make you care. Sadly, you show no concern whatsoever.

See, this is why I don't enjoy Update any more.  This makes me seem like a bad guy who is purposefully abusing my family.  I can tell you my motives and intentions are pure.  I don't purposefully take advantage of anyone.  I love and care for everyone, almost to a fault.  Anybody you talk to would say the same things about me.  Am I misguided sometimes?  Of course I am.  They would tell you they are too, sometimes.

I did not ignore the health pieces at all.  I said things are not perfect and there are things I would like to and need to change.  That answers all the questions right there.  I don't need to elaborate on every subject.  You'll find whatever you can wrong with what I say and lambast me for it tomorrow night.

Then make the F***** changes.  How long have you been asked to make changes in your diet??  How long have you been asked to exercise??  How long have  I told you to go to the store and buy a $20 F***** pair of dumbbells??

It isn't like we are asking you to do difficult things.   I am the same age as you, I beliee J-Mann is as well, its not a bad chair that is causing your back pain, its the fat.

Your health is a disaster, its dangerous, if you don't start making changes you WILL F***** DIE.  No one is saying you have to quick eating like crap cold turkey or can't cheat from time to time, but you need to do better.  Hell, as I have admitted before I really can't cook much either, and eat like crap, but I also don't completey gorge myself either.  I probably shouldn't eat the way I do, but I can get away with it because I'm 5'9 160 and work out. You don't really have the same option because you are almost twice my weight and haven't run or lifted a weight in a decade. 

I have been battling a bad cold (pehaps even the flu) for the last few days and would be running circles around you, that's sad considering I feel like beyond trash.  You need to stop eating s***, you need to start working out, or YOU WILL F***** DIE. 
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies