The first election in which each media was used for campaigning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:01:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The first election in which each media was used for campaigning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The first election in which each media was used for campaigning  (Read 9223 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »

Radio: 1928? 1932? 1936?

TV: 1952

Internet: 1996?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:07:06 AM »

Coolidge in 1924 was the first candidate to use radio.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:04:49 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2014, 04:27:15 AM by wormyguy »

1952 and 1996 were indeed the first elections for TV and internet. An advertising executive pitched TV ads to Dewey in 1948 but he refused, considering them beneath the dignity of the office.

Newspapers: 1640? (England)
Telegraph: 1848?
Newsreels: 1934 California gubernatorial (1924 US presidential for neutral ones)
Smartphone app: 2008
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »

Internet is kind of dicey because while the campaigns had websites in 1996, they didn't really "use" them in the way that we think of websites being used today. I remember my 3rd grade class sitting in the library for computer class and logging onto the Clinton and Dole campaign websites and the reaction was basically one of awe and novelty that such things merely existed, even though the websites themselves were so primitive that you were basically reading a campaign pamphlet on a computer screen rather than on a piece of paper in your hand.

1996 was the first year the Internet was used. It didn't really become relevant to the campaign strategies and to public perceptions until 2004.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »

Internet is kind of dicey because while the campaigns had websites in 1996, they didn't really "use" them in the way that we think of websites being used today. I remember my 3rd grade class sitting in the library for computer class and logging onto the Clinton and Dole campaign websites and the reaction was basically one of awe and novelty that such things merely existed, even though the websites themselves were so primitive that you were basically reading a campaign pamphlet on a computer screen rather than on a piece of paper in your hand.

1996 was the first year the Internet was used. It didn't really become relevant to the campaign strategies and to public perceptions until 2004.
4President.com actually has the websites archived. They are quite funny in hindsight. I love comparing the 2012 websites to the 1996 ones.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »

4President.com actually has the websites archived. They are quite funny in hindsight. I love comparing the 2012 websites to the 1996 ones.

I love how they refer to it as a "World Wide Web Internet Site" and have a separate link for if you're viewing it with Netscape. So '90s...
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »

In the late 1990s, we used the Internet for websites and email. Website was nothing much more than reading a newspaper of a leaflet in a computer screen. Did not change the way of making political campaign. There were discussion foruns and chat rooms, but nothing much more than this.

In the 1990s, people used the Internet only to receive information. In the 2000s, it became possible to receive and send information.

In the early and mid 2000s, there was the golden age of the Blogs. In the late 2000s, people who used to write Blogs started using only Twitter and Facebook. They became lazy to write longer texts.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »

I want to know what the first election was that was decided by media bias. 1988 is the first I remember, but I wasn't old enough to pay attention in earlier years.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 06:28:49 PM by OC »

Radio FDR
TV JFK
Internet Clinton
Newspaper Wilson
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »

Radio FDR
TV JFK
Internet Clinton
Newspaper Wilson

lol
lol
Maybe
lmao
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »

Looks from Google Groups like Presidential elections were first discussed on Usenet in 1984 (although there's discussion of Reagan and Carter as early as 1981, so it might've been 1980 if Google's archive doesn't go far back enough).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/reagan$20before$3A1984$2F01$2F01%7Csort:date

It always blows my mind to see to see people talking about stuff 30+ years ago on internet forums that were basically the same as they are today.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 11:51:06 PM »

This thread from October-November 1984 even has its own user Walter Mitty! And if you're in the mood for some internet creeping, most of the usenet users of that era used their real names/university affiliations, so you can look up where they are today!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 12:08:12 AM »

This thread from October-November 1984 even has its own user Walter Mitty! And if you're in the mood for some internet creeping, most of the usenet users of that era used their real names/university affiliations, so you can look up where they are today!

I find the usenet archives difficult to navagate.  the spammers have had their way
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

The first Presidential Election in which radio was used was 1920, as KDKA (the first commercial station) broadcasted the election returns as part of their inaugural broadcast. Radio did not play a big part until the 1928 election however, as both Herbert Hoover and Al Smith used radio as an important venue to give campaign speeches and policy proposals in a way that was much larger than in earlier elections.

The first use of TV in election coverage came about in 1940, as NBC broadcasted most of the Republican National Convention (and filmed portions of the Democratic Convention the day after it ended) along with coverage of President Roosevelt at a Democratic rally in Madison Square Garden on October 28, 1940 and live coverage of the election results as they came in. The first Presidential ads did not appear on TV until 1952 and weren't perfected until the 1960 Election however.

As for internet coverage of Presidential Elections, the first coverage did not appear until 1996 (excluding the earlier usenet posts on the 1980 and 1984 elections), but was mainly based upon websites for the candidates and did not allow for individual users to comment on the candidates and their platforms. It wasn't until 2004 that we saw user-oriented Presidential Election coverage appear on the internet, as that year numerous political blogs and sites such as Atlas Forum began to become popular and more widely-accepted as legitimate sources for campaign information.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

It'd be interesting to read a discussion on homosexuality from that time.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »

Radio FDR
TV JFK
Internet Clinton
Newspaper Wilson

You've never seen the Eisenhower TV commercials?

And Newspaper?  I guess people didn't start reading them until 1912?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »

I'm very surprised the Republicans had a website in 1996, rather than dismissing it at some kind of new-fangled demonic voodoo. 
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »

I'm very surprised the Republicans had a website in 1996, rather than dismissing it at some kind of new-fangled demonic voodoo. 

Actually, internet users would most likely have been an overwhelmingly Republican group at the time. IIRC Bush won something like 70% of people with an internet connection in their house in 2000.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »

Actually, internet users would most likely have been an overwhelmingly Republican group at the time. IIRC Bush won something like 70% of people with an internet connection in their house in 2000.

Joke, wormy.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »

The Internet was extremely right-wing in the late '90s. Extremely.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »

Looks from Google Groups like Presidential elections were first discussed on Usenet in 1984 (although there's discussion of Reagan and Carter as early as 1981, so it might've been 1980 if Google's archive doesn't go far back enough).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/reagan$20before$3A1984$2F01$2F01%7Csort:date

It always blows my mind to see to see people talking about stuff 30+ years ago on internet forums that were basically the same as they are today.

I noticed that Mondale actually won the 1984 poll on net.politics, by a landslide: 79 votes vs. 49 for Reagan. Tongue https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/net.politics/mondale$20reagan$20poll/net.politics/rKEhNxazX6U/xT2mEJOBRmsJ
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »

The Internet was extremely right-wing in the late '90s. Extremely.
The internet was actually fairly conservative up until the late 2000s in my opinion. If you look back at some of the old posts on Atlas Forum from 2003 to about 2006, it is evident that the site was much more conservative back then. In some of the posts from that time frame, a lot of users praised George W. Bush and predicted that he would win reelection by a blowout margin against John Kerry or Howard Dean. In addition, most of the posts on the 2008 Election thread from 2005 and 2006 had users saying that ether George Allen or Rick Santorum would be the Republican nominee in 2008 and go on to defeat whoever the Democrats would nominate by a 1984-esque landslide. Atlas Forum began to shift towards the left after the 2006 midterms however.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Why didn't the liberals use the Internet in the 1990s?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »

Our side just didn't have the money for the latest technology.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

Our side just didn't have the money for the latest technology.

Indeed.  My dad is a huge tech buff, so he threw a lot of money at getting Internet into our house as early as 1996.  Actually even stuck after my parents got divorced a year later, but I remember I was one of a very, very few kids in school who had it... and this is in a relatively affluent Philadelphia suburb. 

It was so slow that I don't remember much other than my cousins ******* around with perverts in the AOL group chats.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies