Opinion of "Lincoln" (the movie)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:16:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of "Lincoln" (the movie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Lincoln?
Freedom Movie

Horrible Movie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of "Lincoln" (the movie)  (Read 3688 times)
New_Conservative
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »

I haven't seen it and I might rent it tomorrow...

Thoughts from you guys on the movie?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »

I only saw half of it, but it was really good.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »

Excellent movie. I'm not sure how it lost to Argo for Best Picture at the Oscars.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »

It's ok.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:24:12 AM »

Went maybe a bit too far in sanctifiying the person Abraham Lincoln. I left the theater wondering whether Lincoln possessed any flaws at all? Tongue

On the other hand, it was a refereshingly old-fashioned, almost stage-like drama with some great performances by the actors.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »

Absolutely fantastic. Certainly one of my favorite movies.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »

Freedom movie for sure. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »

I highly recommend it to everyone who thinks that backroom deals in Congress are somehow new things. And to show that backroom deals can result in good and important legislation.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »

Excellent movie. I'm not sure how it lost to Argo for Best Picture at the Oscars.

Were you expecting anything else from the pretentious Academy that values muh art and muh social commentary over actual goodness?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »

Were you expecting anything else from the pretentious Academy that values muh art and muh social commentary over actual goodness?

What are you talking about?

Lincoln didn't contain "social commentary"?

Argo wasn't exactly an "artistic" film either... although I'm not sure why viewing a film as "art" would be a bad thing. In fact, I would say that Lincoln was trying to be more artistic of the two.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

Argo wasn't exactly an "artistic" film either... although I'm not sure why viewing a film as "art" would be a bad thing. In fact, I would say that Lincoln was trying to be more artistic of the two.

Yeah, I don't get that.  The Academy Awards aren't run by a pretentious group of indie film critics.  It's also silly to put "social commentary" and "art" films in the same category.

The Academy loves biopics about historical figures and anything that has an overt, but almost universally popular message, ie racism and slavery are bad, the holocaust was bad, etc.  That's why boring biopics like the King's Speech and the Aviator get nominated.  They also love anything that's a love-letter to the movies, so Argo was perfect because the CIA uses movies to rescue the hostages. 

The Academy does not love small art films or indie films.  Those movies can never win best picture because the Academy Awards is paid advertising by the major studios for the major studios. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »

I don't feel like it translated well as a film, but Daniel Day Lewis is always great.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 01:09:41 AM »

I thought it was ok, especially regarding the backroom deals muon2 mentions, as well as the portrayal of Stevens.  At the time, what I didn't like about the movie, despite Lewis' good performance, was the way Lincoln was portrayed as speechifying all the time, to everyone.  I thought that made it too staged and hagiographic.  But, from what I've since read about Lincoln, he really did seem to speechify a lot, so that part may be more accurate than I first thought.  Still a bit too much hagiography.  But it's a good film, for sure.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 01:29:55 AM »

Very compelling (the political horse-trading scenes especially; I think the decision to focus it so squarely on the thirteenth amendment instead of turning it into some dumb Lincoln biopic was a very good one) until Spielberg had to go and ruin everything with his goddamn stupid ending.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 03:42:42 AM »

By far. I can't see how Argo was artistic at all, either. What a strange comment by FreedomHawk
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 04:14:58 AM »

Very compelling (the political horse-trading scenes especially; I think the decision to focus it so squarely on the thirteenth amendment instead of turning it into some dumb Lincoln biopic was a very good one) until Spielberg had to go and ruin everything with his goddamn stupid ending.

Oh yeah, the movie should have ended with the celebrations of the Amendment's passage. There really was no need to continue up to the assassination we all know about anyway.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:30 AM »

As I recall, Lincoln came out the same year as The Dark Knight Rises.  With Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing Robert Todd Lincoln in this movie, I thought it should have ended the same way that The Dark Knight Rises did (spoiler for The Dark Knight Rises follows, but highlight text to reveal):

Lincoln "dies", and Joseph Gordon-Levitt becomes the new Lincoln.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »

Excellent movie, would highly recommend it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »

Great performance, obviously, and a sterling drama, but it failed to grab me emotionally. I left the room and came back a few times. I enjoyed it certainly, but it might have resonated more if it had been about his life as a whole rather than the political machinations and so forth, which is what I seem to remember.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »

Decent film but it could have been a lot better. I just didn't connect to the movie as much as I hoped I would or feel emotional at the end about it but it was fun to watch and had some good performances and loved the cinematography.

I have to admit both Lewis and Sally Field owned the screen when they were on.  Their epic argument about halfway through was some of the best acting I have seen on the big screen. I was getting into it and it was awesome to watch.  Sally never got her praise because she was as good as Lewis was.

James Spader, Levitt, JE Haley,  and TL Jones were good too, especially Spader. He had the fun portion of the film.

I need to re-watch it haven't seen it since Christmas 2012.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »

Oh yeah, the movie should have ended with the celebrations of the Amendment's passage. There really was no need to continue up to the assassination we all know about anyway.
I didn't see the ending, but I figured that is how it would have ended. IMO, the movie would have ended with the celebration of the amendment being passed and then skipped ahead to a very brief final scene on the assassination that would have highlighted how Lincoln literally was a martyr for freedom.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 05:17:26 AM »

The Academy does not love small art films or indie films.  Those movies can never win best picture because the Academy Awards is paid advertising by the major studios for the major studios.

The Academy gave a silent, black-and-white, foreign film Best Picture in 2012.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 11:43:31 PM »

Affordable Care Act, the movie.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:26 AM »

Hopefully in 2160 a world-acclaimed movie will be made about President Obama's glorious struggle to bring health insurance to the people. The material's definitely there.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies