Is it Possible to cut both taxes AND spending? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:10:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Is it Possible to cut both taxes AND spending? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it Possible to cut both taxes AND spending?  (Read 1923 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2014, 10:08:08 PM by Deus Naturae »

Yes, of course it's literally possible to do so. If your question is "is it possible to cut both taxes and spending without a negative impact on the economy," then the answer is still yes. There's plenty of spending that provides practically no value to the US economy or even detracts from it: Spending on overseas military bases, aid to foreign governments, agricultural subsidies distributed so that farmers will grow less and charge higher prices, etc.

There are other areas of spending (subsidies to large corporations, unneeded weapons spending, etc) that might cause the loss of some jobs if ended, but long-term wouldn't have a significant negative impact on the economy.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:40:13 PM »

Without negative effects is indeed what I was thinking. Where would the tax cuts be, which ones would be eliminated altogether, and where would we cut spending?
If your only goal is to not negatively impact the economy, then they can really be anywhere. If you want to maximize growth, the best tax to cut would be the corporate tax, since the US has one of the highest rates in the world and corporate taxation just makes little sense in general (tax costs can just be passed on to consumers and workers via higher prices and lower wages). Payroll taxes are also pretty bad but they're directly tied to certain programs so reducing them would have to depend on what spending you're cutting. Personally I'd try to reduce a broad range of taxes but taxes on personal and business income would be my top priority.

As for the first areas I'd cut, see my previous post in this thread. I'd also cut Education, since the DoE's primary function is to take in money and then distribute it to State governments on the condition they do x, y, and z. There's no evidence whatsoever that this has a positive impact on educational outcomes.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies