CO-Latino Decisions/NCLRAF: Udall wallops Gardner among Latinos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:12:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  CO-Latino Decisions/NCLRAF: Udall wallops Gardner among Latinos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CO-Latino Decisions/NCLRAF: Udall wallops Gardner among Latinos  (Read 2766 times)
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »

If this poll is true, so much for the GOP making progress in attracting Latino voters.

Who would've thought that excessive rhetoric and opposition to policies Latino voters care about would be so alienating?
Mogrovejo
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 06:18:29 PM by Mogrovejo »

I think we can trust Latino Decisions to capture the mood of Latino voters accurately.

Why?

Perhaps we can, but mind you that Latino Decisions argues the existence of a systemic error in exit polls (et por cause, in every other poll). They claim other pollsters under-represent hispanic voters turnout and their level of support for Democratic candidates. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong -it's noteworthy that Latino Decisions is associated with Democratic leaning interest groups, namely the La Raza Council, that pays for many of their polls, including this one- but it's important to keep in mind they have different priors than all the other pollsters.

If this poll is true, so much for the GOP making progress in attracting Latino voters.

Seems like they are, at least in Colorado.

Comparing apples to apples (ie using other Latino Decisions polls as baselines):

2014 Udall +57 (allocating undecideds)
2012 Obama +77 http://www.latinovote2012.com/app/#all-co-all
2010 Bennet +62 http://www.latinodecisions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/co_nov2.pdf

Anyway, as often happens with LD, this poll has a large number of 'message testing' questions before the horserace ones. Personally I think this is bad methodology and tend to disregard polls that use it.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »

I think we can trust Latino Decisions to capture the mood of Latino voters accurately.
The question now arising: Why is Udall so heavily favored compared to Gardner?

74% support raising the minimum wage, 75% are against loosening EPA restrictions, 84% support Medicaid expansion.

The issues Gardner has moderated himself on aren't issues the Hispanics of Colorado care about.

Raising minimum wage is in direct contradiction to keeping EPA restrictions. By the way, why do the Latinos care about the EPA?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »

They probably enjoy clean water and air.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »

LOL! As if the EPA cleans it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 07:29:01 PM »

inoritelmao
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »

Also Hispanics don't listen to Fox News and other right-wing nonsense, so they don't have goddamn stupid views like you do.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »

Also Hispanics don't listen to Fox News and other right-wing nonsense, so they don't have goddamn stupid views like you do.

Which views of mine are stupid? Actually, what do you think are my views?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »

But let's come back to the point of discussion.

I fully understand the support that the Latinos have for raising the minimum wage. After all, the majority of Latinos have minimum wage jobs. I further understand their support for expanding Medicaid. However, I don't understand their support for the EPA. In fact, their support for the EPA, if real, is a sign that they are misinformed. Because, if the EPA were restrained a bit, there would be more jobs and better paying jobs for Latinos and others.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

Not everyone shares the conservative view that if the EPA was eliminated that jobs would skyrocket. Colorado is a state that has a lot to protect environmentally, so it's not rocket science to understand why Hispanics there are supportive of the environment.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »

I fully understand the support that the Latinos have for raising the minimum wage. After all, the majority of Latinos have minimum wage jobs. I further understand their support for expanding Medicaid. However, I don't understand their support for the EPA. In fact, their support for the EPA, if real, is a sign that they are misinformed. Because, if the EPA were restrained a bit, there would be more jobs and better paying jobs for Latinos and others.

They live in the west. They like the trees. They don't want to sacrifice so it can be profitable for dairy farmers and coal mines to dump waste in the river.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »

Fine. But then, it will cost them. Them and others.

What I'm saying here is - their two priorities are conflicting. So, they need to decide which is more of a priority - higher wages, or better environment.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »

Not everyone shares the conservative view that if the EPA was eliminated that jobs would skyrocket. Colorado is a state that has a lot to protect environmentally, so it's not rocket science to understand why Hispanics there are supportive of the environment.

It is not possible to eliminate the EPA. It could be made to be more restrained and more to the point, though. Less activist.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »

Fine. But then, it will cost them. Them and others.

What I'm saying here is - their two priorities are conflicting. So, they need to decide which is more of a priority - higher wages, or better environment.

Uh... that's a false choice. Fundamentally.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 08:40:52 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have an intimate understanding of environmental degradation. Mexico has a rich biosphere, which attracts many ecotourists, and the average Mexican immigrant is well aware of this. Mexico has also experienced ecological disasters ranging from acute deforestation to continual drought to the ineffective disposal of waste. The outskirts of rapidly expanding cities are littered with trash and fetid water. They're also largely inhabited by migrants from rural communities, many of whom hail from communities nearby relatively pristine ecosystems in the mountains. Green politics is a secondary concern for Mexicans in this social strata but they're certainly supportive of efforts to conserve fragile ecosystems, which have an important place in Mexico's popular consciousness.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:38:52 PM »

Would fewer environmental regulations actually lead to wage increases in the benefiting industries?  I feel like the profits would probably end up going to the higher ups in the companies.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »

It is not possible to eliminate the EPA. It could be made to be more restrained and more to the point, though. Less activist.

The regulations have proven to be necessary, because companies aren't going to protect the environment on their own, the only thing that stops them is a fear of fines and shutdown.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »

Many Latinos in Colorado are whites.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:55 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2014, 02:31:19 AM by Ljube »

Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have an intimate understanding of environmental degradation. Mexico has a rich biosphere, which attracts many ecotourists, and the average Mexican immigrant is well aware of this. Mexico has also experienced ecological disasters ranging from acute deforestation to continual drought to the ineffective disposal of waste. The outskirts of rapidly expanding cities are littered with trash and fetid water. They're also largely inhabited by migrants from rural communities, many of whom hail from communities nearby relatively pristine ecosystems in the mountains. Green politics is a secondary concern for Mexicans in this social strata but they're certainly supportive of efforts to conserve fragile ecosystems, which have an important place in Mexico's popular consciousness.

Thanks for this explanation.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 02:33:30 AM »

So, judging by these numbers, is it at all possible for a Republican to improve his/her standing with the Latinos?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 07:37:55 AM »

Yes, by supporting Medicaid, the EPA, and the minimum wage.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »

Yes, by supporting Medicaid, the EPA, and the minimum wage.

Well, a minimum wage and expanded Medicaid is a possibility, but a candidate supporting the EPA in its current form would face problems in the primary.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »

PPP has this at 64 Udall - 24 Gardner.  Udall approvals are evenly divided between Approve, Disapprove and Not Sure (33/35/32). Gardener favorability is divided as well (40/43/11).  Udall's high support in voting preference among Latinos is in spite of what he has made his signature issue - unlike whites, Hispanics are nearly divided on Amendment 67 (43 yes/46 no).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies