An observation about moderates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:12:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  An observation about moderates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An observation about moderates  (Read 366 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that moderate politicians are often more tribal, hackish and partisan than those on the more radical or extreme ends of their respective parties?

Andrew Cuomo - said something along the lines of "conservatives are not welcome in NY" a while ago
Michael Heseltine - Made the (in)famous "Left, left, left" speech at a 1970s Tory conference in which he essentially accused Labour of being communist
Paul Keating - http://webcity.com.au/keating/
Denis Healey - "Being attacked by the right honorable gentleman is akin to being attacked by a dead sheep". Also many other instances
Newt Gingrich - Well, he's certainly moderate by today's standards and he has a long history of vicious attacks on the Democratic Party
Richard Nixon - As above, really

I will acknowledge that the Tea Partiers in Congress have challenged this recently, but my point remains. I don't necessarily have a problem with such behaviour, however.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »

There is a thing called Centrist Stupidity ya' know, it's not like the perceived center instantly means they are above it all.

And also moderates end up having to bear the burden of making the center and being reasonable all the time.

But there also good moderates that know sometimes an extreme end must be taken, that aren't so crazy such as

Olympia Snowe

John McCain

Tim Kaine

Harry Reid

Angus King

Dwight Eisenhower

Al Gore

Lisa Murkowski

That's for starters.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »

Sometimes moderates seem to want to "prove" how exciting they are to the base, by indulging in a bit of petty "omg I think the opposition are dumb losers" red-meat throwing.

Cameron is guilty of it a lot, especially with his parade of one-liners in PMQ's.

However, it might be a false pattern. There are a lot of centrists who are absurdly non-partisan to the extent of disliking large sections of their party (Ken Clarke, Simon Danczuk, Malcolm Turnbull, Nick Rahall) and plenty of stridently partisan radicals (too many to mention).
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »

Moderate politicians know how to play the game. They win primaries by making themselves seem just appealing enough to their base (be it at a national, statewide or local level) and then once they get into office, they legislate from the center, so when shyt goes wrong they can just say "well, i wasn't a part of that! I wanted to compromise but both parties are corrupt and caught up in partisan politics, I'm a reformer!" which just leads to a sadistic, rinse-and-repeat type of scenario where moderates just keep getting elected until someone learns to play the game better. No moderate politician is actually a moderate, they just know how to pander to whatever the lowest common denominator is during their election or re-election cycle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies